Florida vs. Alabama

AUTUmike

Kentucky has definitely improved. They play with a different mindset this season, and a little more confidence. The new coach is doing a great job with what he has, and in the future they could be a really good team.

Florida is barely hanging on to respectability. Last night was almost a panic induced effort. I hate it for CWM. Maybe that scare is enough to inspire the Gator team out of the funk it's been in lately. I hope so. I'd love to see FL take bammer down.

Still not sold on Driskel. He's had the misfortune of suffering through musical chairs with offensive coordinators, never having a chance to mature and develop in any one system.

I'm not either. Driskel is a LOT like Coker - really live arm, can make all the throws, and spins it really well - but when the lights come on and it's game time, he just doesn't show that "it" factor it takes to be truly effective as an SEC QB.

Sounds right to me.

I don't think there's much hope for Florida in this game. Unless Bama for some reason decides to go with Coker for most of it. That would be ugly.

Jimbo got the best of Saban on that deal. Got to hand it to him.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bama can keep playing teams that don't make them any better for all I care. We'll play good teams and improve every week and by the time the Tahd roll around we'll break their disgusting hearts again.

So a team who struggles against UK is a bad team, but a team that almost loses to Iowa St is a good team? Reality distortion field alert...

How's this for reality: Kansas State is ranked 20th. What's Florida ranked?

What was Ohio St ranked two weeks ago? Good job though, touting those preseason polls.

Is it still preseason? Dang, I thought it was week three or four already.

Next your going to tell me the Gators needed SEC officiating to help to beat mighty Kentucky in triple overtime.

Can we cool it with the SOS talk in this thread? That is a conversation for a different thread. The fact of the matter is that on Thursday, Auburn will play Kansas State, and on Saturday, Alabama will play Florida. Period. End of story. Doing these whole "oh, our opponent is better than your opponent" is eerily similar to the "my dad can beat up your dad" talk on elementary school playgrounds. This is a thread to discuss the Bama-UF game, and while I realize it's on an Auburn Forum, there is absolutely ZERO reason to bring Auburn into this. That goes for both of y'all. I understand we're rivals, but it's a GAME. Might want to take a second, step back, and realize that you are trying to make someone feel bad about themselves over college kids playing football.

On a side note, what is both of y'alls end-games here? AU-24, do you really think that at some point, BamaGrad03 is just going to say "You're right, Bama is awful and Auburn is going to curb-stomp us this year"? What about visa versa? Both of y'all are confident in your teams, and that's great. Come the week of the Iron Bowl, we can argue about it all we want. But we're not playing the Iron Bowl this week, so lets focus on the current game and make sure we both win those. It will look better for both teams if we're undefeated going into the Iron Bowl. Whichever team wins that will have a HUGE quality win on their schedule.

TL;DR: Both of y'all stop arguing like 6 year olds. This is supposed to be a fun game and a discussion about the Florida vs Alabama game this weekend, nothing more.

It's hard to give a good take on this game. I mean when SC came out and got drilled by A&M and GA came out and drilled Clemson....you would have thought that GA was going to the National Championship and SC was going into the tank! Then this past Saturday happened and changed everything. So you never know, i honestly believe it will be close, but again you never know.

Wasn't impressed with the Gators. This isn't the week the Gumps go down. I think Ole Miss takes down the Tide. They have a good defense which should put pressure on whom ever is playing QB that week. The Gumps defense will struggle with Mississippi's offense. Bo Wallace will have a good night.

No, UF did not look great in beating UK but they DID step up when they had to and beat, what I believe, may possibly be the most improved team in the nation, let alone the SEC. I thought UK came into that game with confidence and playmakers. They came to play for real and I don't discount that (not to mention the UF looking ahead to uat factor).

I have seen nothing with either teams' early games that tells me that uat is THAT much better than Florida. What the heck. I talked myself into it...maybe I DO expect a UF victory after all....I'll even go out on a limb and say that I believe UF pulls the upset by a FG.

When did UF step up? Kentucky took them to 3OT and gave them the chance to win by missing a FG. You think that is stepping up?

The truth is the 2014 Gators are an embarrassingly bad team. As much as I hate to say it, CWM does not deserve to sit behind the same desk that Steve Spurrier used. He is ruining that program, and by the end of this season, they will be looking for his replacement.

The other truth is that Alabama is not as good as they have been in recent years. They're not "bad" by any means, but they basically have four games they have to win and 8 they have to NOT lose. If anybody can pull that off, it's Saban. Whether Kiffin will cost them a game remains to be seen. I would say they have a 60% chance to win all four, with a 75% chance to beat UGA or USC in the SECCG if they go that far.

They do that, they go to the "playoff," and who knows what happens then.

So the truth is that UF is really bad and uat is OK with an easy schedule. UK is improved, but will they win 9 games? Doubtful. 8? Perhaps. 7? Maybe. 6? Good chance.

Wake up people. Stop listening to the hype and watch the games.

The other truth is that Alabama is not as good as they have been in recent years.

See, I just don't see that. Given our early season schedule, I still think it is too early to say one way or another. If you're gonna just look at scores and say - Bama is blowing people out just like they've always done, and deduce that Bama is just as good - then it's premature. Similarly, to assume Bama isn't as good, I feel, is just maximizing the negatives while minimizing the positives.

Even though UF struggled with UK, I think both are improved teams from last year. Do I think UF is a great team? No way. They're a 7-5 or 8-4 type team depending on their schedule. But they do have top flight athletes at every position and play SEC defense. If Alabama puts up 30+ on that defense, then I think it's time to start considering Alabama as an elite team. Likewise, if we really struggle on offense, and really struggle with UF, I think it's time to start considering this is a Bama team that doesn't have the same edge it had before.

As has been said countless times, this year's Alabama is a perfect example of why preseason polls are stupid. They've racked up points against really bad defenses, and have yet to be challenged really. There's nothing to learn from that.

On a side note, what is both of y'alls end-games here? AU-24, do you really think that at some point, BamaGrad03 is just going to say "You're right, Bama is awful and Auburn is going to curb-stomp us this year"? What about visa versa? Both of y'all are confident in your teams, and that's great. Come the week of the Iron Bowl, we can argue about it all we want. But we're not playing the Iron Bowl this week, so lets focus on the current game and make sure we both win those. It will look better for both teams if we're undefeated going into the Iron Bowl. Whichever team wins that will have a HUGE quality win on their schedule.

Honestly, over all these SOS discussions, I had no intention of trying to suggest Alabama had a tougher schedule than Auburn (though I do think our OOC is a wash). I just wished people would wait a few games before they start talking about SOS - it's the same as putting a whole bunch of stock in preseason polls.

No, UF did not look great in beating UK but they DID step up when they had to and beat, what I believe, may possibly be the most improved team in the nation, let alone the SEC. I thought UK came into that game with confidence and playmakers. They came to play for real and I don't discount that (not to mention the UF looking ahead to uat factor).

I have seen nothing with either teams' early games that tells me that uat is THAT much better than Florida. What the heck. I talked myself into it...maybe I DO expect a UF victory after all....I'll even go out on a limb and say that I believe UF pulls the upset by a FG.

When did UF step up? Kentucky took them to 3OT and gave them the chance to win by missing a FG. You think that is stepping up?

The truth is the 2014 Gators are an embarrassingly bad team. As much as I hate to say it, CWM does not deserve to sit behind the same desk that Steve Spurrier used. He is ruining that program, and by the end of this season, they will be looking for his replacement.

The other truth is that Alabama is not as good as they have been in recent years. They're not "bad" by any means, but they basically have four games they have to win and 8 they have to NOT lose. If anybody can pull that off, it's Saban. Whether Kiffin will cost them a game remains to be seen. I would say they have a 60% chance to win all four, with a 75% chance to beat UGA or USC in the SECCG if they go that far.

They do that, they go to the "playoff," and who knows what happens then.

So the truth is that UF is really bad and uat is OK with an easy schedule. UK is improved, but will they win 9 games? Doubtful. 8? Perhaps. 7? Maybe. 6? Good chance.

Wake up people. Stop listening to the hype and watch the games.

Well, 2 - 3 games into the season, either of our opinions really remain to be seen. Just giving my take is all...not attacking anybody else's view.

With that said, I actually DID watch the entire game as I really had a feeling UK was/is a much improved team that could give UF a run...and I was rewarded by a heckuva game.

Note: I did not call UF worldbeaters and my comment about them stepping up is based on two factors. 1, I believe UK to possibly be a sleeper team in the SEC East and I think they'll give everybody fits this year. and 2, the UF team of 2013 would have folded much earlier in the game and never even made it to OT, much less hanging on until UK made their fatal mistake.

Now if uat rocks UF outta the stadium, then I will stand corrected. But here, a few days before kickoff, I believe that uat is still struggling with their identity and still struggling to get their young defense to gel, so at this point in the season I think UF has a chance. Nobody's paying me for my opinion and I don't have my own blog. So I don't claim to be an expert. Just a fan of the game.

Bg.....I fully expect uat to win by 30 & and will be SHOCKED if they do not. Fla is THAT bad...

Bg.....I fully expect uat to win by 30 & and will be SHOCKED if they do not. Fla is THAT bad...

The thing about UF, just like last year, their defense is good enough to have them see very few blowouts. But that still may lead to a tragic W/L record. I don't expect to beat them by 30, mostly because I just don't think you can score THAT much on their defense to beat them like that. They're not UF of old, but they're not 2012 Arky either.

I suspect Muschamp is shown the door after this season.

The other truth is that Alabama is not as good as they have been in recent years.

See, I just don't see that. Given our early season schedule, I still think it is too early to say one way or another. If you're gonna just look at scores and say - Bama is blowing people out just like they've always done, and deduce that Bama is just as good - then it's premature. Similarly, to assume Bama isn't as good, I feel, is just maximizing the negatives while minimizing the positives.

Even though UF struggled with UK, I think both are improved teams from last year. Do I think UF is a great team? No way. They're a 7-5 or 8-4 type team depending on their schedule. But they do have top flight athletes at every position and play SEC defense. If Alabama puts up 30+ on that defense, then I think it's time to start considering Alabama as an elite team. Likewise, if we really struggle on offense, and really struggle with UF, I think it's time to start considering this is a Bama team that doesn't have the same edge it had before.

As has been said countless times, this year's Alabama is a perfect example of why preseason polls are stupid. They've racked up points against really bad defenses, and have yet to be challenged really. There's nothing to learn from that.

Honestly, over all these SOS discussions, I had no intention of trying to suggest Alabama had a tougher schedule than Auburn (though I do think our OOC is a wash). I just wished people would wait a few games before they start talking about SOS - it's the same as putting a whole bunch of stock in preseason polls.

BG, while you're correct that it's too early to conclude that bama isn't as good as last year, nevertheless it has been reasonable all off-season to expect that bama wouldn't be as good as in recent years.

No proven QB, under-the-bus material as your new OC, lost D players leaving early. It all adds up to the expectation that bama simply isn't as good as last year...good just not as good as before.

So far there's no reason to thank that is incorrect.

And FL may be better than last year. But FL could be better than last year and still stink to high heaven, and there's reason to think that may be the case. There are some overly optimistic FL and AU fans who'd like to think FL could beat bama, just as there are some overly optimistic AL fans tho'd like to tell themselves that K St will beat Auburn. Neither is likely to happen. In face, I doubt either team will really be tested by this week's opponents.

No proven QB, under-the-bus material as your new OC, lost D players leaving early. It all adds up to the expectation that bama simply isn't as good as last year...good just not as good as before.

Our defense is actually better than last year, especially on DLine. And Kiffin, while a monumental disaster at HC, has proven himself as knowing his stuff offensively. The QB question is the one yet to be answered. And there's good reason to think that poor QB play could be the difference in Bama teams of past and a less dominant one this year. But it's still too early to tell on QB - just like our high scores don't mean much given our competition, our QB stats are really really good to this point, but may not mean much given the defenses we've seen. If Blake goes out and really sucks against UF, and our offense sputters, then I'll start to worry.

Not giving this Bama team an A and I'm not giving them a C. At this point, I'm giving them an incomplete.

Our defense is actually better than last year, especially on DLine. And Kiffin, while a monumental disaster at HC, has proven himself as knowing his stuff offensively. The QB question is the one yet to be answered. And there's good reason to think that poor QB play could be the difference in Bama teams of past and a less dominant one this year. But it's still too early to tell on QB - just like our high scores don't mean much given our competition, our QB stats are really really good to this point, but may not mean much given the defenses we've seen. If Blake goes out and really sucks against UF, and our offense sputters, then I'll start to worry.

Not giving this Bama team an A and I'm not giving them a C. At this point, I'm giving them an incomplete.

As I was told, did you actually expect him to say: Yes, UAT isn't as good on D this season as last. (BTW bg, how did the improved D-line look/play against mighty WVU?)

Then did you actually expect him to say: You are correct about the Kiffin hire, that could go south quickly, especially when our O is without an SEC QB.

On another note: I know bg knows more about UAT's D-line than NFL scouts, but I thought, I would post the below anyway.

An NFL scout who visited Alabama and Auburn in recent weeks has a warning for the Crimson Tide. “They better watch out,” the scout said, “because Auburn is coming.”

While the Tigers are more known for their up-tempo offense under second-year coach Gus Malzahn, the scout said they appear to have more NFL draft prospects on defense than Alabama. He cited Auburn senior defensive tackle Angelo Blackson as one of his early breakout players nationally.

“It really shocks me,” the scout said. “Alabama’s not there yet defensively. If you want to play bully ball and smack heads with them, you’re probably going to be in trouble. But when those guys get in space, it seems like they’re heavy-legged. You've seen it against Auburn and Oklahoma. When they play a fast team that’s good in space, they struggle.”

(BTW bg, how did the improved D-line look/play against mighty WVU?)

Pretty good actually. WVU ran for 28 yards on 24 carries. We also held WVU to considerably below their averages for points, passing yards, and total yards.

You are correct about the Kiffin hire, that could go south quickly, especially when our O is without an SEC QB.

You haven't the first clue about our QB situation. I'd wait until after the UF game before I started signing the demise of the Alabama offense. But actually, I did give credence to his Kiffin comment, I guess you didn't read it: " And Kiffin, while a monumental disaster at HC, has proven himself as knowing his stuff offensively. The QB question is the one yet to be answered. And there's good reason to think that poor QB play could be the difference in Bama teams of past and a less dominant one this year. But it's still too early to tell on QB - just like our high scores don't mean much given our competition, our QB stats are really really good to this point, but may not mean much given the defenses we've seen. If Blake goes out and really sucks against UF, and our offense sputters, then I'll start to worry."

Let me guess - I'm being wildly unreasonable and dismissive because I gave our offense a question mark instead of just blindly admitting that it's "the worst offense evarrrrr." (By the way, Alabama is averaging more total offense than Auburn at this point in the season)

As for your scout comments, I'm guessing your takeaway from that is that Auburn is better than Alabama on defense. I guess we'll see. Auburn hasn't had a better defense than Alabama since Saban set foot on campus 7 years ago, but this may be their year. I'm guessing you're sky high after Arky put 49 on TTU - but you probably didn't stop to look at the two teams TTU played before that (hint, they gave up 26 to UTEP and 35 to Central Arkansas)

I will take any sig bet you'd like on Alabama's defense vs Auburn's defense at year's end. I'll also take one on drafted NFL players on the two defenses over the next few years.

Pretty good actually. WVU ran for 28 yards on 24 carries. We also held WVU to considerably below their averages for points, passing yards, and total yards.

You are correct about the Kiffin hire, that could go south quickly, especially when our O is without an SEC QB.

You haven't the first clue about our QB situation. I'd wait until after the UF game before I started signing the demise of the Alabama offense. But actually, I did give credence to his Kiffin comment, I guess you didn't read it: " And Kiffin, while a monumental disaster at HC, has proven himself as knowing his stuff offensively. The QB question is the one yet to be answered. And there's good reason to think that poor QB play could be the difference in Bama teams of past and a less dominant one this year. But it's still too early to tell on QB - just like our high scores don't mean much given our competition, our QB stats are really really good to this point, but may not mean much given the defenses we've seen. If Blake goes out and really sucks against UF, and our offense sputters, then I'll start to worry."

Let me guess - I'm being wildly unreasonable and dismissive because I gave our offense a question mark instead of just blindly admitting that it's "the worst offense evarrrrr." (By the way, Alabama is averaging more total offense than Auburn at this point in the season)

As for your scout comments, I'm guessing your takeaway from that is that Auburn is better than Alabama on defense. I guess we'll see. Auburn hasn't had a better defense than Alabama since Saban set foot on campus 7 years ago, but this may be their year. I'm guessing you're sky high after Arky put 49 on TTU - but you probably didn't stop to look at the two teams TTU played before that (hint, they gave up 26 to UTEP and 35 to Central Arkansas)

I will take any sig bet you'd like on Alabama's defense vs Auburn's defense at year's end. I'll also take one on drafted NFL players on the two defenses over the next few years.

As expected, you know more than NFL scouts and bammers O is better than AU's. Now that is real credible.

BG, AL's D and AU's D will face one another. It's AL's D that will face AU's O, and so far there's no reason to think tht Auburn's O isn't much stronger this year than last, as expected.

And we all do know something about AL's QB situation; you don't have one. If Sims were the hot shot that some bammers now claim then he'd be showing something by now. And if Coker were the Heisman trophy winner that most bammers claimed all summer that he would be then certainly Saban would have played him.

AL's O is not out producing Auburn's O. look at the points scored by each, and point are what counts. But like you said, against weak opposition that doesn't mean much, However, remember...Ark wasn't considered a patsy until Auburn beat the crap out of them. Most of your fellow bammers were certain Ark would beat Auburn, just as they are certain K St will.

Personally I think either could work out to be adequate, but no better.Again it goes back to what I've said before; bama isn't as good this year as last year. Good but just not as good as before.

First, that's where SOS comes in .... :poke:

Second, that's an interesting proposition. Will have to think on that one.

By the way, did you see the post on AU Family passing the 2,000,000 mark in posts? It might also be interesting to entertain a wager on wearing t-shirts post iron-bowl. (No tattoos, though.)

As expected, you know more than NFL scouts and bammers O is better than AU's. Now that is real credible.

NOBODY knows more than bg when it comes to football. Even Saban can't get out of bed without asking bg how he should set up his defense on Saturdays!

I'm not expecting bama to have much trouble with FL, but I could be wrong. I've seen nothing yet to impress me about FL. If FL does manage to actually beat bama, then bama is in for a lot of trouble this season.

This may be true but I for one think UF could take any of uat's teams so far in similar fashion. I think people are overlooking the improvement UK has made. No they aren't great but they are better than they have been in recent history. Neither team looked stellar going head to head but many times teams play up to their competition. UF could take bama to the wire and pull off a close one.

Unless the turds find the bowl too early on Sat I expect them to beat an over matched lizard slither by 17. Florida is just way to offensive,...not!

Herbie was on Mike and Mike this morning. He believed that UF had a chance. Wasn't predicting a Gators win but thought they had a shot. He said what pretty much everyone knows, that Alabamas' defense is not the same defense we are use to seeing in previous years.

BG, AL's D and AU's D will face one another. It's AL's D that will face AU's O, and so far there's no reason to think tht Auburn's O isn't much stronger this year than last, as expected.

I don't know if it's stronger or not. And that's not a bad thing. I just always assume Gus is going to field an elite offense. It was elite last year, it is elite this year.

And we all do know something about AL's QB situation; you don't have one. If Sims were the hot shot that some bammers now claim then he'd be showing something by now.

I wasn't saying that I'm waiting for him to show something, I said I'm waiting for him to show something against an SEC defense. Blake has looked fantastic - it's just been against lesser competition. I'm perfectly happy with Blake as our QB based on what I've seen thus far. Now, that could completely change after Saturday. Jury is still out on if he can continue these types of performances when the game starts moving a little faster.

First, that's where SOS comes in

Maybe, but SJSU isn't exactly a defensive champion. If we're looking at SOS, then a lot of that still is based on last year's performances, and in SJSU's last game, they gave up 52 points and 646 yards to a team that managed 20 points and 253 yards in their bowl game. And Arkansas was, well, Arkansas. (Not to dismiss them completely because I do think they are improved). And my comment was really just an anecdote for someone who was pretty mad that I'm not willing to admit a team (Bama) averaging 550 yards and 42 points per game is awful on offense. You can say, at this point, that you don't know if Bama will be a good offensive team, but it's impossible to say they are NOT a good offensive team based on performance thus far.

I think Auburn is an elite team this year, but don't go hanging too many hats on that Arkansas win. Texas Tech is an awful team this year. They'll lose their next three and will will likely finish with a losing record. So that means what we have from Arkansas thus far is BB's offseason blustering about how great they're gonna be, a blowout loss to Auburn, a win over Nicholls St and a win over a pretty bad TTU team.

As far as Bama's O vs Auburn's O - until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume Auburn will be better at scoring than Bama and Bama will be better at defending than Auburn. Last year the difference between the two was special teams. At this point in the season I'm not ready to say either team is clearly ahead of the other.

It's entirely possible that Bama's self-inflation due to SOS cupcake victories meets another sub-par SEC team (FINALLY) and gets the #2 beaten out of them by those bruised and 'barassed Gators. Who knows? We may be witnessing yet another myth mystery..."Just how good is Bama? WAIT!! We'll know after the NEXT game. Oops, the game after that. Nope, we're gonna need another..." Just part of the folklore that consistently follows an unending trail of....

It's entirely possible that Bama's self-inflation due to SOS cupcake victories meets another sub-par SEC team (FINALLY) and gets the #2 beaten out of them by those bruised and 'barassed Gators. Who knows? We may be witnessing yet another myth mystery..."Just how good is Bama? WAIT!! We'll know after the NEXT game. Oops, the game after that. Nope, we're gonna need another..." Just part of the folklore that consistently follows an unending trail of....

Amen sista

Archived