Kansas State Game (merged)

aucanucktiger

5 days before a real opponent and unbelievably little chatter about it, so thought I'd start a thread. Perennial joke Iowa State, which took KSU down to the wire last week, beat cross state rival Iowa yesterday. KSU's Watters is A key but IMO not the only scoring threat. Their special teams are very good and their O will throw a hundred looks at our D. Only our O stops our O IMO so we need to execute and hold onto the rock this game. And cut down on the big plays our D surrenders. Nothing in this game should be surprising but KSU can look a lot like last years UGA when they get rolling. You remember, the UGA edition with Murray but without Gurley at full steam - that we beat on a tip 6 miracle? Focus guys, focus.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not discounting anything you said cause I agree, but also remember that Iowa nearly lost to Ball State at home last week. By no stretch of the imagination is Iowa a good team so no surprise that ISU beat them yesterday. That being said, KSU is strong and will require us to be focused and prepared.

But I'm pretty confident our guys will be dialed in, especially with 2 weeks to prepare and game plan. If we lose to KSU, it'll be because they were just straight up the better team. I'm pretty sure they are NOT the better team. I'm nervous like I am for most games but expecting a hard fought win.

Sometimes a week off is not a good thing for game speed execution. Of course, KSU had the same amount of time off so that may be a wash. The KSU run defense seems to be pretty good giving up 87 yards per game. Their defense is giving up an average of 219 passing yards per game. The offense runs about 60% of the time with Waters, the QB leading the team in rushing by a large margin. We typically struggle with a running QB. Hopefully, Coach Ellis can dial up a defense for Waters this week. He is an average passer completing 61% of his passes with 2 TDs and 1 INT. He spreads it around to several different receivers but it appears the deep threat is Lockett. I feel good that we will be able to move the ball against this defense. I hope our defense can slow down Waters enough to get out of Manhattan with a huge W in front of a national audience.

Playing on the road under unusual circumstances(Thursday night) can be a bit dicey. I certainly hope we go out and take care of business. I've got a feeling it's going to be closer than we would like but I hoping we can blow it wide open.

We all want to beat K-State, obviously.

Yes, it's a big stage against a Power 5 foe.

Yes, it's a game against a top-20 program.

But there's another reason we really want to win this game: common opponents.

The Committee will base its judgments on several factors, including performance of teams against common opponents. K-State plays both Oklahoma and Baylor down the road. One of those three teams is likely to win the Big 12.

The best scenario for us at this point is for us to beat K-State and have them go on to win the Big 12.

Next best would be for us to beat K-State and have them beat the Big 12 champ.

In any case, we don't want to win against K-State less impressively than either Baylor or Oklahoma.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. If Auburn takes care of business the rest of the way then that won't matter. If they don't then it won't matter either. Win your games, be champion of the conference and you are in. It would really take a super strange turn of events for a second team from the SEC to make the playoff.

Obviously, I'd like us to win out.

But let's say we lose the Iron Bowl (I know, I know; but just for the sake of argument) and we are otherwise undefeated.

Then, let's say either UGA or USCe -- both of which we will have beaten) -- beat Bama in the SECCG.

So, we have one loss, but we have beaten the eventual SEC champ.

Now let's say that K-State wins the Big 12.

I think we've got a pretty good argument for the final four.

I get what you're saying, but common opponents won't come into play unless Auburn is being considered as the second SEC team in the final four as opposed to either Oklahoma or Baylor.

But let's say we lose the Iron Bowl (I know, I know; but just for the sake of argument) and we are otherwise undefeated.

Then, let's say either UGA or USCe -- both of which we will have beaten) -- beat Bama in the SECCG.

Well in your mind and mine yeah but for this year especially the committee is going to have to have no other recourse available to them if a 2nd SEC team gets in. They won't take a non champion over a conference champion.

Well in your mind and mine yeah but for this year especially the committee is going to have to have no other recourse available to them if a 2nd SEC team gets in. They won't take a non champion over a conference champion.

Suppose UGA wins the SEC (we have only 1 loss to Bama), Oregon wins the Pac 12, Michigan State wins the B1G, K-State wins the Big 12, and Clemson wins the ACC with another loss (so they've lost to, say, Louisville, and UGA).

I think we get in with Oregon, UGA, and K-State.

Suppose UGA wins the SEC (we have only 1 loss to Bama), Oregon wins the Pac 12, Michigan State wins the B1G, K-State wins the Big 12, and Clemson wins the ACC with another loss (so they've lost to, say, Louisville, and UGA).

I think we get in with Oregon, UGA, and K-State.

Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it for this year in particular. I just think they will do all they can to avoid putting two teams in from one conference. Let's don't put ourselves in that position and have to hope things work out in our favor.

KState did not do a good job of defending the edge runs against Iowa St. Grant, CAP, and Marshall will rack up huge yardage if they haven't figured out how to cover the edge. If they try to commit too much to the edge, CAP can get an easy 5 ypc up the middle, or those quick passes will be open between the hashes all day. Offense just has to protect the ball and not give away positive plays with stupid penalties.

Their offense will present a challenge. Lockett will find space to work and has the speed to beat guys who take bad angles. Waters isn't blazing fast, but he's got great mobility. I'm afraid of the DL rushing too far up field and creating running lanes for him, even in 3rd and long situations. Hopefully, he'll meet Therezie (Like Sunday Morning) early in the game. I'm not too concerned with their running game outside of designed runs for Waters.

If any early season games bring home the point that week to week results mean nothing, this is the season. VT beats Ohio State, then loses to E Carolina. South Carolina gets destroyed by TAMU then beats UGa. We give Arky a beat down then they look impressive beating Texas Tech. The problem with trying to use early games is that we don't really know how good any teams are right now.

I'm not the least bit concerned about our offense in any game this year. This game will decided by the same thing our season will ,which is, how well will our defense play. Will CEJ have a game plan that will be effective and will he be able to adjust it in the first quarter if needed ? We will score our points but as the defense goes, so goes this game.

5 days before a real opponent and unbelievably little chatter about it, so thought I'd start a thread. Perennial joke Iowa State, which took KSU down to the wire last week, beat cross state rival Iowa yesterday. KSU's Watters is A key but IMO not the only scoring threat. Their special teams are very good and their O will throw a hundred looks at our D. Only our O stops our O IMO so we need to execute and hold onto the rock this game. And cut down on the big plays our D surrenders. Nothing in this game should be surprising but KSU can look a lot like last years UGA when they get rolling. You remember, the UGA edition with Murray but without Gurley - that we beat on a tip 6 miracle? Focus guys, focus.

Gurley did play against us in that tip 6 game.

It looks like with the way these first three weeks have played out, any and all scenarios will be possible. It looks as though the East is a toss up, the B1G is gonna be bad and tear itself apart. USC, Stanford, and UCLA all look very average. The PAC 12 looks as if Oregon will win but they have that habit of losing a game.

Can FSU make it out of the ACC unscathed? Notre Dame looked not so good vs a bad Purdue. How does ND factor into the equation?

How many losses does the SEC champ have? Will there be any Power 5 teams left undefeated? This is shaping up to be an extremely interesting first year for this playoff committee. So much unknown and variables.

We should win this game going away. K State does play hard the whole game though. If we play to our capabilities and they play to their capabilities, we should win by around 17 or so.

I'm talking 58-30 type score, type of game that makes the polls put you ahead of Oklahoma and Alabama

I just want AU to be a top 3 team and if tehy blow this team out they should be top 3 (FSU shouldn't be one, but of course they'll be one, and then Oregon should be 2)

I don't know if that would accomplish that feat or not. It might. I'm not in to scores to try and impress anyone. It would be nice to do it and be able to play the backups. The polls will take care of themselves.

Agree. I think Auburn needs to completely dominate this team, start to finish. But I think we need to hold them under 20. Only with something like that will Auburn ever start getting any respect from the national media. Nothing against K State but I'm tired of Auburn being one of the best team I've seen playing so far and getting no respect for it.

5 days before a real opponent and unbelievably little chatter about it, so thought I'd start a thread. Perennial joke Iowa State, which took KSU down to the wire last week, beat cross state rival Iowa yesterday. KSU's Watters is A key but IMO not the only scoring threat. Their special teams are very good and their O will throw a hundred looks at our D. Only our O stops our O IMO so we need to execute and hold onto the rock this game. And cut down on the big plays our D surrenders. Nothing in this game should be surprising but KSU can look a lot like last years UGA when they get rolling. You remember, the UGA edition with Murray but without Gurley - that we beat on a tip 6 miracle? Focus guys, focus.

Gurley did play against us in that tip 6 game.

Yup, uga was the healthiest they had been since the first game or so when they played AUburn last year.

Archived