Auburn vs. La Tech (9/27) - Kickoff Set

RunInRed

As a general matter, yes, but I seem to recall reading about Arkansas (I believe) foregoing a home game to set up a made-for-tv neutral site game.

In regards to aTm and Arky, I think we should pull for Arky to win. It gives aTm a conference loss and we have already beaten Arky, so for them to be a threat to take our spot in the West standings we would need to lose twice and Arky would need to avoid losing any more games. I feel this is in the best interest of AU to make it to Atlanta.

Of course, our SOS might take a slight hit if we don't play aTm when they are ranked as high as possible.

Nah, Arky doesn't have a snowball's chance....read all the posts on this forum.... all the smart people know their coach is a doofus and the stuff that worked for him at Wisky will never work in the SEC...that the TT game was a fluke....Arky will be lucky to win 3 games again this season.... we will get more SOS creds from beating LaTech.......it's common knowledge...

In regards to aTm and Arky, I think we should pull for Arky to win. It gives aTm a conference loss and we have already beaten Arky, so for them to be a threat to take our spot in the West standings we would need to lose twice and Arky would need to avoid losing any more games. I feel this is in the best interest of AU to make it to Atlanta.

Of course, our SOS might take a slight hit if we don't play aTm when they are ranked as high as possible.

Nah, Arky doesn't have a snowball's chance....read all the posts on this forum.... all the smart people know their coach is a doofus and the stuff that worked for him at Wisky will never work in the SEC...that the TT game was a fluke....Arky will be lucky to win 3 games again this season.... we will get more SOS creds from beating LaTech.......it's common knowledge...

Also after Northern Illinois they have TAMU, Open,. Bama, UGA after that stretch they will be demoralized and will lose to UAB, just saying. I do like their OOC next year UTEP, TTU, Toledo, and UTMartin

Their ranking at the time we play them means nothing. Their W-L record, and that of their opponents, and to some extent margin of victory will factor into SOS. If we beat the #1 team in week 1 and they lose every other game on their schedule, well then they weren't really a #1 team now, were they? Final SOS, not perceived SOS, is what matters.

I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, if A&M loses to Arky, that creates a mess in that Arky would have to turn it up for the rest of the season (and they have an even more brutal schedule than we do, even if it IS primarily due to us playing them as opposed to them playing us) in order to garner a high final ranking, whereas TAMU winning would mean they could lose a game and still be highly ranked. It also means that if we lose to the Aggies, our loss would be against a more highly thought of team than if they lose to Arkansas beforehand.

Naturally, it also would make it all the more difficult for us to reach Atlanta, because even if TAMU is our only loss, they would have to lose two other SEC games, but there are just so many variables at play when looking that far down the line that it's too hard to predict which one for whom we should be cheering. Ergo, I'll be cheering for the Aggies, not because I dislike Arkansas (even though Bert does, indeed, irritate me), but because I've always liked A&M.

That's why I don't worry about SOS. You'll drive yourself batty trying to figure the possible scenarios. Just let it all play out. That's my philosophy anyway.

I think that sort of ostrich philosophy works well for some purposes, especially if you're on the team or don't want to deal with it for some other reason. On fan message boards, I kinda like to speculate and don't begrudge anyone that opportunity. Not trying to take a shot at you, tigger. I sometimes feel just the same way you do.

Their ranking at the time we play them means nothing. Their W-L record, and that of their opponents, and to some extent margin of victory will factor into SOS. If we beat the #1 team in week 1 and they lose every other game on their schedule, well then they weren't really a #1 team now, were they? Final SOS, not perceived SOS, is what matters.

I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, if A&M loses to Arky, that creates a mess in that Arky would have to turn it up for the rest of the season (and they have an even more brutal schedule than we do, even if it IS primarily due to us playing them as opposed to them playing us) in order to garner a high final ranking, whereas TAMU winning would mean they could lose a game and still be highly ranked. It also means that if we lose to the Aggies, our loss would be against a more highly thought of team than if they lose to Arkansas beforehand.

Naturally, it also would make it all the more difficult for us to reach Atlanta, because even if TAMU is our only loss, they would have to lose two other SEC games, but there are just so many variables at play when looking that far down the line that it's too hard to predict which one for whom we should be cheering. Ergo, I'll be cheering for the Aggies, not because I dislike Arkansas (even though Bert does, indeed, irritate me), but because I've always liked A&M.

That's why I don't worry about SOS. You'll drive yourself batty trying to figure the possible scenarios. Just let it all play out. That's my philosophy anyway.

I think that sort of ostrich philosophy works well for some purposes, especially if you're on the team or don't want to deal with it for some other reason. On fan message boards, I kinda like to speculate and don't begrudge anyone that opportunity. Not trying to take a shot at you, tigger. I sometimes feel just the same way you do.

I gotcha. That is just my own personal philosophy, nothing more. I don't want to tell anyone else that they can't or shouldn't. Different strokes for different folks.

CBS picking TAMU/Arky over UGA/Tenn ...

Wow, how times have changed!

Over Mizzou and USCe? Quite possibly SEC East implications?

The Fighting Berts big win, combined with the Mutts and Creamsicles losses sent UT @ UGA packing to ESPN/SECN.

Despite the SEC East implications and the humbling South Carolina gave UGA, the wounds are still fresh from the gashing aTm delivered on opening Thursday night in Williams-Brice. Carolina lost a lot of appeal after that catastrophe.

Missouri's overall brand is weak. Additionally, their fan support is eclipsed by Arkie and especially Aggie.

The headline for aTm/Ark. almost writes itself. First CBS broadcast of two SEC opponents in Jerry World. Too good to pass up.

Athens? Columbia? Been there, done that...

I gotcha. That is just my own personal philosophy, nothing more. I don't want to tell anyone else that they can't or shouldn't. Different strokes for different folks.

:cheers:

My first time back at AUburn since the early 00's. :hellyeah:

Archived