Week 4 (Auburn vs. Kansas State) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn: "This week our guys ... they've been really locked in the last two days of practice, especially today."

@JamesCrepea

There was a lot of positive energy. They're ready to play."

Malzahn on DL DaVonte Lambert: "We really think he's got a chance to be a very good player."

Malzahn also said he was pleased to see improvement from third-year sophomore DL Gimel President.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn in Coach Calendar mode. He says today is Wednesday in prep; didn't know it was Monday until seeing MNF on TV.

@bmarcello

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on formerly-injured Sammie Coates: "We chose to hold him out of the last game to get him healthy for this one."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the defensive line: "We really feel like it's going to be a strength of ours moving forward."

Gus Malzahn says Star defenders Robenson Therezie and Justin Garrett are "impact players" and will be on the field together on occasion

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on rookie Roc Thomas: "You can tell he's got special ability. You'll see his role probably grow throughout the season."

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on quest to achieve perfection year after run to NC: "You're either getting better or you're getting worse. … That's our challenge."

Malzahn on advice for K/P Carlson: "I just told him these 1st 3-4 gms I'd rather you err on the side of being a fresh leg than a dead leg."

Malzahn on former players returning, including Will Herring & Cadillac Williams: "It's always great to see the former players come back."

Malzahn: "We've approached this like we would an SEC road game"

Malzahn on balance: "Balance to me doesn't mean equal passing to rushing yds. I feel confident if def. give us the pass we can be effective.

Malzahn on keys vs. K-State: "I think the big thing is getting in a rhythm offensively & then defensively not giving up cheap touchdowns."

@AUBlog

Kudos to the alleged Alabama fan who called in to ask how much money Gus needs to become Alabama’s next head coach. No comment from Gus.

@JayGTate

Michael in Cullman: "I'm a 'Bama fan and I understand the potential of the Wishbone offense and I know that Nick Saban is not going to beat you with his pro-style (offense), so my question is this: how much money would it take to make you the Alabama head coach?"

Host Rod Bramblett, the voice of the Auburn Tigers, interjects with a laugh and a quick response.

"I'm not sure there's enough money in the world for that," Bramblett says. "Michael, appreciate the call."

Malzahn was silent during and after the call.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/live_updates_gus_malzahn_answe.html

Michael in Cullman: "I'm a 'Bama fan and I understand the potential of the Wishbone offense and I know that Nick Saban is not going to beat you with his pro-style (offense), so my question is this: how much money would it take to make you the Alabama head coach?"

Host Rod Bramblett, the voice of the Auburn Tigers, interjects with a laugh and a quick response.

"I'm not sure there's enough money in the world for that," Bramblett says. "Michael, appreciate the call."

Malzahn was silent during and after the call.

http://www.al.com/au...zahn_answe.html

Wow...there are simply no words for that level of incoherence.

I'd say since the first half of the Arkansas game, it's already been a team strength. They controlled the LOS in the second half against a very, very good running team and dominated the LOS start to finish against SJSU. Moving Wright and Adams inside more often was/is the right move. Adams especially. From unofficial snap count numbers I've seen, it looks like we're moving toward playing Whitaker less (as a true fifth DT) and Daniel a LOT more with President/Kennion as rush ends.

Here's the link on snap counts: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/film_study_tracking_the_auburn_3.html

It's interesting to see how our rotation is shaping up.

Wright and Adams are playing the most snaps (by far): 88 and 81, respectively

Blackson is next with 69 snaps, which tells me he's our first DT when either Wright or Adams slides out to DE, and he's getting second string reps when they leave the field

Daniel and Owens are next: 56 and 59, respectively

Lambert and Bradley are next, basically getting second unit reps at DE and DT: 49 and 47, respectively

Whitaker seems to be the fifth DT and is losing some snaps as other guys are worked into the DE rotation (which cuts the snaps Adams and Wright move out): 41

Kennion and President combined for 41 snaps against SJSU, which is a trend I expect to continue (maybe not that many, but they'll remain in the rotation as rush ends)

I'd like a bit more from the DEs, but honestly, there's more than one way to skin a cat. McKinzy can get a rush from the edge, and we really haven't moved him down very often. As Williams and Swain assert themselves more at LB, we'll have more freedom to do that. We can also blitz more. Mincy is very good in rush; Therezie is a play maker back there. We have options. We just haven't had to use those options to this point.

Also, I'd rather have middle pressure than edge pressure.

I'd like a bit more from the DEs, but honestly, there's more than one way to skin a cat. McKinzy can get a rush from the edge, and we really haven't moved him down very often. As Williams and Swain assert themselves more at LB, we'll have more freedom to do that. We can also blitz more. Mincy is very good in rush; Therezie is a play maker back there. We have options. We just haven't had to use those options to this point.

Also, I'd rather have middle pressure than edge pressure.

Agree. If Gabe and Monty can play at a high level like they did against SJS...we'll be in great shape.

A strong middle push is likely to pay dividends for the outside as the opposing oline diverts more resources towards stopping Wright and Adams.

An excellent point.

Archived