Jameis at it again

eagle76

To me, this is simply an eye-rolling moment.

Should he have known better than to blurt this out in public? Perhaps.

However, he didn't hurt anyone. He didn't do anything illegal as far as I can tell.

Some may find it in bad taste, but a.) that's subjective and b.) apparently he's quoting something from an internet meme - so he's just using some contextual pop cultural reference to get a laugh out of his friends. Or at least that's what I'm gathering from reading articles.

And for us to cry about how 'we shouldn't have had to play against him' in the NCG just sounds like sour grapes; no different than Oregon, Bama, Georgia fans saying they shouldn't have had to play against Cam in 2010 because they think there was a cover-up to allow him to play.

I don't think any of us knows all the facts surrounding Jameis's case (or non-case) so I don't judge. Or I try not to.

Does Mr. Winston rub me the wrong way sometimes? Sure. But it's none of my business.

Furthermore, regarding football, there's no real cheating going on here, so I don't see a reason to complain about games that shouldn't have won by FSU.

Just my take. I could be wrong.

It's more than an eye rolling moment when you consider context. To just put it off as, "just repeating some meme for a laugh" is weak. He screamed it while standing on a table on freaking campus. Did I mention he is currently under a title 9 investigation for rape? If you can minimize that, more power to you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jameis Winston met with the media just moments about his suspension for the first half of the Clemson game.

He issued an apology prior to addressing the Clemson game.

"I just want to apologize to the university, to my coaches and to my teammates," Winston said.

"I'm not a 'me' person, but, in that situation, that was a selfless act. And that's not how you do things around here.

"I want to apologize to my teammates because I have now made a selfish act for them."

Winston also said that he has texted with Sean Maguire and that Maguire will "do great." He said that he and Maguire will go over film this week to get Maguire ready.

“I’m going to make sure he does a great job because me and him are going to go to work," Winston said.

http://floridastate....ension-31250856

FSU is in full damage control mode, but should have been months ago. Now comes the public and new media pressure for more that a 30 minute suspension

It's more than an eye rolling moment when you consider context. To just put it off as, "just repeating some meme for a laugh" is weak. He screamed it while standing on a table on freaking campus. Did I mention he is currently under a title 9 investigation for rape? If you can minimize that, more power to you.

I fully admit that I don't know details of the case. In fact, I wasn't aware there was a continuing investigation.

In a vacuum, I don't have a problem with the antics. That's all I was really saying.

But I don't follow this stuff as closely as many of you.

However, he didn't hurt anyone. He didn't do anything illegal as far as I can tell.

Some may find it in bad taste, but a.) that's subjective and b.) apparently he's quoting something from an internet meme - so he's just using some contextual pop cultural reference to get a laugh out of his friends. Or at least that's what I'm gathering from reading articles.

And for us to cry about how 'we shouldn't have had to play against him' in the NCG just sounds like sour grapes; no different than Oregon, Bama, Georgia fans saying they shouldn't have had to play against Cam in 2010 because they think there was a cover-up to allow him to play.

I don't think any of us knows all the facts surrounding Jameis's case (or non-case) so I don't judge. Or I try not to.

Does Mr. Winston rub me the wrong way sometimes? Sure. But it's none of my business.

Furthermore, regarding football, there's no real cheating going on here, so I don't see a reason to complain about games that shouldn't have won by FSU.

Just my take. I could be wrong.

I think this behavior speaks to an apparent disrespect for women, which will not be viewed favorably by the title IX investigation. I also have my opinion that is is a flippant attitude of JW towards women and getting his way. This would not be tolerated in my business or former time in the military.

I fully admit that I don't know details of the case. In fact, I wasn't aware there was a continuing investigation.

In a vacuum, I don't have a problem with the antics. That's all I was really saying.

But I don't follow this stuff as closely as many of you.

In light of the current state of affairs in football (both NFL and HIS current situation) he MUST live in a vacuum to do something that stupid.

He's got one hell of a sense of timing. A year ago this doesn't do anything more than irritate some people and cause them to roll their eyes. Now after all the business with Ray Rice, you'd think he'd know that this is going to draw a hell of a lot of attention. FSU can't afford to sit idly by any longer, as much as they would like to.

You have to admit... with the NFL dealing with the indefinite suspension of a star player because of physical abuse of a woman, teams are going to have to think twice about recruiting a kid who shows such outward disregard for women. Jameis better clean up his act if he wants to be more than just another college phenom that never went anywhere.

He's got one hell of a sense of timing. A year ago this doesn't do anything more than irritate some people and cause them to roll their eyes. Now after all the business with Ray Rice, you'd think he'd know that this is going to draw a hell of a lot of attention. FSU can't afford to sit idly by any longer, as much as they would like to.

What's wrong with this kid? Does he not realize the severe scrutiny he is under with the current investigation on rape charges? Those investigators are turning over every stone and looking at him with a microscope and he does some ish like this in public? He's an idiotic moron. My God -Jimbo needs to have a graduate assistant attached to this kid 24/7 to monitor his actions or risk another reallbig FU by his star QB.

You have to admit... with the NFL dealing with the indefinite suspension of a star player because of physical abuse of a woman, teams are going to have to think twice about recruiting a kid who shows such outward disregard for women. Jameis better clean up his act if he wants to be more than just another college phenom that never went anywhere.

Character issues are going to become far more prevalent than ever in professional sports when it comes to selecting players. They are going to be far less forgiving for great players who cannot stay out of trouble off of the field.

"Perhaps"?

Some may find it in bad taste, but a.) that's subjective and b.) apparently he's quoting something from an internet meme - so he's just using some contextual pop cultural reference to get a laugh out of his friends.

All due respect, that's BS. Dude got up and yelled something almost universally offensive towards women- extraordinarily so, in most cases, and even somewhat threatening in others- over and over again in a very public place.

That I agree with.

This is the Rivals forum. This is a completely acceptable place to point out incredibly stupid behavior by an incredibly stupid human being who happens to play for another school's football team. And it could even be an educational discussion for some who might not understand just how stupid and awful this kind of behavior is.

We've all said stupid, vulgar things in our young adulthood (I know I had quite the potty mouth until I became a mom). And many want to say he's young and he's made mistakes. I know we all make mistakes, but if you look at Winston's history since being at college, the boy does not learn from his mistakes. Investigation for rape, stealing crab legs and now this... I bet he runs for the NFL after this season and then the NFL can just add to their problems. Maybe he'll start learning then--when it starts to hurt his wallet. What a scum bag...

We've all said stupid, vulgar things in our young adulthood (I know I had quite the potty mouth until I became a mom). And many want to say he's young and he's made mistakes. I know we all make mistakes, but if you look at Winston's history since being at college, the boy does not learn from his mistakes. Investigation for rape, stealing crab legs and now this... I bet he runs for the NFL after this season and then the NFL can just add to their problems. Maybe he'll start learning then--when it starts to hurt his wallet. What a scum bag...

The boy is a disrespectful scumbag that shows no remorse or determination to rehabilitate himself. It's best he move on to the pro's where he'll have enough money to pay for his errotic sexual fantasies and not end up forcing them on another victim.

Well, maybe Coker can get a quick transfer back to Tallahassee. :)/>

The 2nd string guy I saw in the Florida ST spring game is far better than Coker. Coker would be 3rd string from what I've seen of him this year.

Well, maybe Coker can get a quick transfer back to Tallahassee. :)/>

The 2nd string guy I saw in the Florida ST spring game is far better than Coker. Coker would be 3rd string from what I've seen of him this year.

Against Clemson's defense I doubt anyone would look anything short of amazing.

To me, this kid seems to have what I would call an "entitlement personality." He's entitled to say stupid, obscene stuff to women because he won the Heisman and National Championship; he's entitled to walk out of a grocery store without paying for king crab legs for the same reason as above. When the rape stuff was coming out, I was one of those who thought that maybe this girl is claiming rape after realizing what she had done---had a few drinks and decided to let a football player have his way with her. Now, more and more, I'm beginning to think he really did rape this girl. I could be wrong, and I hope I am because I would hate to think that any man would have such little regard for another human being like that. What's as bad, or maybe even as worse, is that it seems that the PTB at FSU and in the City of Tallahassee are turning a blind eye to this kid because of the fame he's bringing to the university and the city.

IMVHO, Gus would've shown him the door before this happened.

Mark my words, this culture will haunt FSU very quickly if they don't do something about it.

I think you're right. This sort of thing tends to soften a team and a lockerroom. Cracks start forming.

Winston keeps proving himself to be a "me" guy, and at some point, his players are going to not care as much as they otherwise would have.

If you don't think Clempson will be pumped for this, remember this as well:

Clemson players still upset about Jameis Winston 'our house' tweet

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/clemson-players-still-upset-about-jameis-winston--our-house--tweet-201716820.html

Jameis is just a typically immature athlete who has always been protected by coaches and school administrators. As noted by BG, you have to wonder how this can go on and not affect the team.

He burned it up early in the season last year but AU showed him to be less than a superstar...a QB who was made to look good by some outstanding pass receivers. JMO, but as bad as the ACC is, FSU is still set up for a loss or two this year.

If you don't think Clempson will be pumped for this, remember this as well:

Clemson players still upset about Jameis Winston 'our house' tweet

https://sports.yahoo...-201716820.html

They may be pumped but I don't know how much good it will do them. Even without JW. FSU will still win if the rest of the team plays up to the level of their talent.

Jameis is just a typically immature athlete who has always been protected by coaches and school administrators. As noted by BG, you have to wonder how this can go on and not affect the team.

He burned it up early in the season last year but AU showed him to be less than a superstar...a QB who was made to look good by some outstanding pass receivers. JMO, but as bad as the ACC is, FSU is still set up for a loss or two this year.

I agree with you to an extent.... He's not just a "typical" immature athlete as most athletes were never under investigation for rape. "Famous Jameis" wouldn't have as many headlines if it had not been for that investigation.

The crab legs event and this would have been quickly forgotten.

Archived