Marshall in the NFL

WFE12

NIck is projected preseason as a 5th-7th round DB. Undrafted as QB. These numbers were by ESPN, who is somewhat accurate. Nick hasn't done anything to change this on the field that I've seen. And guys, he's not Vick. Vick was the #1 overall pick for crying out loud! If unbiased scouts and reporters have him as undrafted at the position, then they didn't see any Vick in him. In addition to being faster, more allusive, Vick had great potential to throw.

In short, we see glimpses of Vick plays in Nick, but Vick was always making Vick plays.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NIck is projected preseason as a 5th-7th round DB. Undrafted as QB. These numbers were by ESPN, who is somewhat accurate. Nick hasn't done anything to change this on the field that I've seen. And guys, he's not Vick. Vick was the #1 overall pick for crying out loud! If unbiased scouts and reporters have him as undrafted at the position, then they didn't see any Vick in him. In addition to being faster, more allusive, Vick had great potential to throw.

In short, we see glimpses of Vick plays in Nick, but Vick was always making Vick plays.

These people making these projections are doing so based off of what NFL scouts and personnel people are telling them too. It isn't just made in the blind.

For the record, I don't think Nick will be an NFL QB. I also think Vick sucked for most if his career. Exciting? Absolutely. But he only had a couple of good seasons. I do think, if Nick existed in 1999, he would've been a leap forward for the position.

People give Vick too much leeway because he was a revolutionary player. I agree with that. Just don't tell me he was a good passer. His career completion percentage in the NFL was 56% and that includes his best passing seasons post-jail. In Atlanta he hit 56% of his passes in only one season. He was erratic as hell. Marshall is every bit as accurate as Vick was until he reformed his mechanics, style, and career in Philly. For goodness sake, the guy was a 54% passer on the season as a Sophomore at VaTech (his last year).

I don't think Nick will be a viable starter at QB, but he's as accurate as Vick and more accurate than Tebow. Both those guys won playoff games. I just think the position has taken a leap forward. I don't think Vick would be anything more than a second or third round guy now either. He changed the position forever, but he doesn't live up to the standard of the Cams, Kaeps, Wilsons, etc. The gap between our QB and Vick in their second years as starters is narrower than people think.

Marshall has the arm strength. His accuracy isn't there though. Someone may take a chance and try to work on him, but I think he eventually moves to DB. Then again, besides the elite QBs I the NFL (Brees, Manning, Brady, Rogers, Cam, Wilson, Ryan etc), QBs aren't very good. Many teams just have average to below average QBs.

Just thinking out loud.... but the Nick for Heisman routine is not doing him any favors. Just let him do what he does best, like last year, without the increased ratio of passes. As long as he makes the one's that need be, Nick (and Auburn) doesn't need morph into a passing machine. Just a couple more than last year would be a nice balance. IMO he'll do fine in the NFL without being the first guy to touch the ball, and anything else might cost him in the long run.

Just thinking out loud.... but the Nick for Heisman routine is not doing him any favors. Just let him do what he does best, like last year, without the increased ratio of passes. As long as he makes the one's that need be, Nick (and Auburn) doesn't need morph into a passing machine. Just a couple more than last year would be a nice balance. IMO he'll do fine in the NFL without being the first guy to touch the ball, and anything else might cost him in the long run.

I don't think the Heisman talk was ever much more than just some talk among fans. Gus isn't going to change what he's doing on offense to try and set someone up for a postseason award. Right now Mariota would be considered the frontrunner. Somebody else could come along. I know we won't have a repeat winner.

So much delusion around here... I picture some of y'all sounding just like the "wrestling is real" guy. "Nick CAN make it as a QB in the NFL if he tries hard". The guy is not playing QB in the NFL. He's a system QB in college and let's just appreciate him for that.

So much delusion around here... I picture some of y'all sounding just like the "wrestling is real" guy. "Nick CAN make it as a QB in the NFL if he tries hard". The guy is not playing QB in the NFL. He's a system QB in college and let's just appreciate him for that.

"the stripper loved me, okay!! "

"the stripper loved me, okay!! "

Haha exactly

Back end of the 6th or 7th round if he's drafted at all.. Probably won't take any meaningful snaps though. The guys a total project and anybody willing to take a chance on him probably envisions him as a back up QB at the next level. He's not Cam and he never will be. Cam hasn't exactly lit it up at the next level either. He's great at moving the chains but, can't find the endzone.

Back end of the 6th or 7th round if he's drafted at all.. Probably won't take any meaningful snaps though. The guys a total project and anybody willing to take a chance on him probably envisions him as a back up QB at the next level. He's not Cam and he never will be. Cam hasn't exactly lit it up at the next level either. He's great at moving the chains but, can't find the endzone.

Cam's been to 2 pro bowls in 3 years.

Cam's been to 2 pro bowls in 3 years.

Too bad Cam couldn't take his defense with him.

He's also the entire offense, which happened to win the division last year, and his team is currently undefeated. He's one of the best QBs in the league.

He's also the entire offense, which happened to win the division last year, and his team is currently undefeated. He's one of the best QBs in the league.

Cam is a good QB, not great. Let's not just make things up.

http://www.footballo...om/stats/qb2013

Nobody's making things up here. Have you read some of your own posts in other threads? You make more things up here than anybody, like how you said our running game isn't as good as it was last year. NOPE. IT's BETTER. TWO pro bowls in three years, lead his team to a division title. That's not making anything up, those are FACTS. I'm not an NFL fan at all but to say Cam newton isn't among the best in the league is just ignoring facts.

So they vote the good but not great QB's to the Pro Bowl? If the Pro Bowl QB's are just good, what are the NFL QB's that don't make it to the Pro Bowl, all terrible?

Nobody's making things up here. Have you read some of your own posts in other threads? You make more things up here than anybody, like how you said our running game isn't as good as it was last year. NOPE. IT's BETTER. TWO pro bowls in three years, lead his team to a division title. That's not making anything up, those are FACTS. I'm not an NFL fan at all but to say Cam newton isn't among the best in the league is just ignoring facts.

Show me the numbers. You can't seriously compare last year's running game to this year's. Auburn was breaking in brand new RB's and they still had old reliable in Tre Mason. This year, they don't have a powerback who can get those tough three or four yard gains. Those popular excuses like "it's a new system, give it time" or " They're new to the offense, give them a year to figure out Gus's offense" don't cut it this year. These guys have been here and done that. The running hasn't resembled anything like last year's to this point. LOL,lose a Heisman trophy candidate and you're better.

Numbers don't lie but, you can choose to ignore them. Cam is good, but not great.

Show me the numbers. You can't seriously compare last year's running game to this year's. Auburn was breaking in brand new RB's and they still had old reliable in Tre Mason. This year, they don't have a powerback who can get those tough three or four yard gains. Those popular excuses like "it's a new system, give it time" or " They're new to the offense, give them a year to figure out Gus's offense" don't cut it this year. These guys have been here and done that. The running hasn't resembled anything like last year's to this point. LOL,lose a Heisman trophy candidate and you're better.

Numbers don't lie but, you can choose to ignore them. Cam is good, but not great.

2013 average through 3 games was 239.3 yards per game with an average of 43.67 attempts and a 5.48 yard per carry average

2014 average through 3 games is 262.67 yards per game with an average rushing attempts of 47.67 for 5.51 yards per carry average

http://www.sports-re...-14-auburn.html

I hate it when stats and facts get in the way of a bad argument.... dang

murph, the problem for you is, you're basing your opinion of Cam on numbers. Stats lie. Watch the games. Cam is one of two QBs in the NFL with over 100+ carries in three consecutive seasons. Ever. Vick is the other. They are the only QBs in league history to run for over 500 yards in three consecutive years as well.

Even taking more punishment than any QB in the NFL, opening day this season was his first missed start of his entire career. To my knowledge, he's the only QB in the NFL that started every game in the three previous seasons. In other words, he's more reliable than any QB in the league. You build your team around him, and you know he'll be out there every week.

The only QBs in the league that account for a similar percentage of the teams offensive snaps or offensive production are Manning, Luck, Brady, Brees, and Rogers. That's his company, and after the first half of his second season, he's winning almost as much as any of them. In that stretch, the Panthers are 19-8; the Packers are 15-11-1; the Saints are 16-11; the Patriots are 21-6; and the Broncos are 23-4. In other words, of the teams that rely most on their QB, Cam trails only Brady and Manning in terms of winning games.

Stare are the overall league leaders in passing all you want. The Panthers built everything they do offensively around one guy, and they win a LOT of football games that way. He's one of the elite QBs in the NFL.

murph, the problem for you is, you're basing your opinion of Cam on numbers. Stats lie. Watch the games. Cam is one of two QBs in the NFL with over 100+ carries in three consecutive seasons. Ever. Vick is the other. They are the only QBs in league history to run for over 500 yards in three consecutive years as well.

Even taking more punishment than any QB in the NFL, opening day this season was his first missed start of his entire career. To my knowledge, he's the only QB in the NFL that started every game in the three previous seasons. In other words, he's more reliable than any QB in the league. You build your team around him, and you know he'll be out there every week.

The only QBs in the league that account for a similar percentage of the teams offensive snaps or offensive production are Manning, Luck, Brady, Brees, and Rogers. That's his company, and after the first half of his second season, he's winning almost as much as any of them. In that stretch, the Panthers are 19-8; the Packers are 15-11-1; the Saints are 16-11; the Patriots are 21-6; and the Broncos are 23-4. In other words, of the teams that rely most on their QB, Cam trails only Brady and Manning in terms of winning games.

Stare are the overall league leaders in passing all you want. The Panthers built everything they do offensively around one guy, and they win a LOT of football games that way. He's one of the elite QBs in the NFL.

Elite? no he's not elite. He is probably in the next level down but not elite,

Archived