I will be the one to say it....

aubfaninga

I have to admit, it didn't look like a CGM offense tonight.

Gus seemed agitated, as best I can describe it. Dunno if it was the Thurs nite game, of facing the legendary Snyder, or having to do w/ the events of the suspension ?

There were some odd calls on his part, to be sure. Why use Ricardo so often on the sweep, instead of CG ? Was that suppose to throw their D off ?

Didn't work too well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus seemed agitated, as best I can describe it. Dunno if it was the Thurs nite game, of facing the legendary Snyder, or having to do w/ the events of the suspension ?

There were some odd calls on his part, to be sure. Why use Ricardo so often on the sweep, instead of CG ? Was that suppose to throw their D off ?

Didn't work too well.

LOL. Just watched the game again and still saw the same thing sober. There is no conspiracy theory and I never stated one. I do not know who was calling the plays nor does it matter. K state did a really good job on defense but we still could be more decisive in our play calling. After second watch it appears we were changing "packages" way more than usual. I am sure this was an attempt to get some momentum but just like in the second half of the NC, it does not work. The series where JJ came into the game was the ugliest of all and highlights brightly what I am seeing. I fully understand that this was a win, in a tough environment, against a solid team, and I am so happy we made it out undefeated. Some people in this thread feel anytime someone shares a negative observation they are attacking Auburn football. I see what I see. I talk about what is on my mind and I come here to do it. I feel we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country and GUS is still the best man for Auburn, BUTTT, he/they are not above criticism. If there was any problems with getting the plays/packages from the sideline I am sure it will get addressed. 13 seconds better!!! WAR EAGLE

Guest jojo1515

Didn't work too well.

LOL. Just watched the game again and still saw the same thing sober. There is no conspiracy theory and I never stated one. I do not know who was calling the plays nor does it matter. K state did a really good job on defense but we still could be more decisive in our play calling. After second watch it appears we were changing "packages" way more than usual. I am sure this was an attempt to get some momentum but just like in the second half of the NC, it does not work. The series where JJ came into the game was the ugliest of all and highlights brightly what I am seeing. I fully understand that this was a win, in a tough environment, against a solid team, and I am so happy we made it out undefeated. Some people in this thread feel anytime someone shares a negative observation they are attacking Auburn football. I see what I see. I talk about what is on my mind and I come here to do it. I feel we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country and GUS is still the best man for Auburn, BUTTT, he/they are not above criticism. If there was any problems with getting the plays/packages from the sideline I am sure it will get addressed. 13 seconds better!!! WAR EAGLE

Not trying to pick a fight, but saying you don't know who is calling the plays and it doesn't matter in the same thread that you started for the sole purpose of complaining that RL is calling the plays instead of Gus (just like BOBO and Richt) seems a little odd and counterproductive. It's as if this whole thread is meaningless now...

Just a guess here, but when Malzahn spends all night running up and down the sideline with a play card in his hand jumping up and down screaming and signaling in plays, it's pretty unlikely RL is calling the plays.

Didn't work too well.

Not trying to pick a fight, but saying you don't know who is calling the plays and it doesn't matter in the same thread that you started for the sole purpose of complaining that RL is calling the plays instead of Gus (just like BOBO and Richt) seems a little odd and counterproductive. It's as if this whole thread is meaningless now...

Just a guess here, but when Malzahn spends all night running up and down the sideline with a play card in his hand jumping up and down screaming and signaling in plays, it's pretty unlikely RL is calling the plays.

No fight from me and the criticism is warranted and I laughed at it. I was deep into the last side of the divided natty box by the time I wrote my first post. I was venting my frustration.

If our receivers hang on to a few deep balls, we stretch the field and hopefully open up the running game. Teams are going to do exactly what Kansas St did...stop the zone-read at all costs. If we can consistently hurt teams in the passing game, then we'll be fine.

If that's the case, we need to sit NM and play JJ... ;)

I know the "two quarterback system" is hated by almost everyone. But, with the way this team is right now......Idk, I think Johnson should at least get a series a game to keep the defense on its toes.

The biggest problem I see with this scheme is the D knows exactly what is going to happen when the QBs are changed out. Unless one is a threat to run all aspects of the D, the change won't work as effectively. If the second QB can run all aspects just as well but runs one aspect better, he would be the starter.

I for one, didn't see NM do anything wrong in the passing. I did think he made some bad reads on the zone read. jmo

#32 Dacori Johnson killed us all night and blew up our inside running game. Give him credit. But we need to block him. LSU will have a guy like him, as will uat and aTm and uga.

I am guilty of being under the lights, BUT is it just me??? Does our read look WAYYYY slower than it did last year?

What is missing thus far is the "chemistry" Marshall and Mason had on selling the fake. In the latter half of the 2013 season, it was frequently very difficult to tell which of them had the ball as they sold the handoff fake and running so well. I've seen glimpses of it this year, but I think that was a key component in getting defenses as out of sorts as the offense did last year. That said, it looked much like the entire offense had an off night in Manhattan.

Might be the chemistry thing but IMO, what's really missing is Prosch busting a** as the lead blocker on the running plays.

Our lead blocker whiffed way too often...left the RB out in the cold with two or more KSU defenders in front of him. KSU did a good job of shutting down the outside game but we did a terrible job of putting blocks on their defenders.

Fulse has looked pretty lost out there as a blocker...and we aren't throwing to him so I don't know why he's there

I don't blame CRL, the OL play is terrible. Even with the smoke and mirrors, we are being dominated by lesser talent. Wait til we face premier SEC front sevens... Better figure it out soon.

I don't blame CRL, the OL play is terrible. Even with the smoke and mirrors, we are being dominated by lesser talent. Wait til we face premier SEC front sevens... Better figure it out soon.

I don't think it's THAT bad. Those KSU guys got after us and stayed after us. We'll play higher rated teams with less spunk and less fight in them.

The O line isn't being dominated at all, it's just not getting the push it did last year. Atleast not yet. Last year the Oline would bludgeon the Dline for the most part. Our running backs would pick up 2 yds before they even got touched. Right now, it's closer to a stalemate at the LOS, so it's harder for the backs. Also, Mason was a special back who could turn nothing into something, slip through a tiny crease and get positive yardage. CAP can't do that. I believe Roc Thomas can......but he is young and still learning.

I don't think it's THAT bad. Those KSU guys got after us and stayed after us. We'll play higher rated teams with less spunk and less fight in them.

Yep. So AU plays a road game against a top 20 team, in what the home team considers to be the biggest game in their history, wins and all of a sudden Gus's O sucks, the OL sucks and AU sucks? OK. :bananadance:

^^^ This ^^^ And basically why I have stayed away. That game had so many unseen factors playing into it that I will take the win and reserve all judgments. Now, if what we saw becomes a pattern, I will worry. We are a different team than in 2013.

Yep. So AU plays a road game against a top 20 team, in what the home team considers to be the biggest game in their history, wins and all of a sudden Gus's O sucks, the OL sucks and AU sucks? OK. :bananadance:

I don't see where anyone has said anything like this. People have shared their thoughts on what they would like to see improvement on from AU. Some have shared that they feel Auburn is world beaters. Both came to this message board to discuss, vent, or praise their thoughts.

O line could have played better. Nick missed several reads....

And receivers had way too many drops! As a whole the offense were off their game, it happens. Let's just hope this is that one time it happens for us, many teams will experience this at least once this year

O line could have played better. Nick missed several reads....

And receivers had way too many drops! As a whole the offense were off their game, it happens. Let's just hope this is that one time it happens for us, many teams will experience this at least once this year

Agree

I have to say, all my delusions for world dominance for the next decade of Gus were shattered.

What do you mean I can assume nothing?

What do you mean our team will have to work for it?

Do you mean to tell me that all these other teams aren't gonna just roll over for my mighty Tigers!

Sigh!

Sob.

Now this I agree wholeheartedly with. As I said in another thread somewhere (or maybe previously in this one..don't remember, and I'm not going to look it up), K-State is extremely disciplined on defense because they have to be in order to be any good. They don't have the 5 star players knocking down their doors, so they have to take what they can get and teach them to play smart football, or else they're going to get blown up by any team with superior athletes.

The upper echelon of the SEC, however, has plenty of superstud athletes, and often the most destructive way for them to play is to just let their freak flag fly, so to speak, by showing out athletically. These are the types of things that Malzahn's offense is so good at exploiting, and why we can look so good against teams far superior (from an athletic standpoint, at least) to KSU.

I disagree with the point in the OP that Gus has given over the offensive play calling to RL. Gus, pretty much before the season started, said he was involved in play calling. It was just a down night for the offense which might prove to be beneficial in the long run.

I either read or listened to a quote from CGM on this board that CRL gives him about three choices and that Gus makes the final decision on what play is called.

Exactly! That's why I don't understand why anyone would think Gus isn't calling the plays. Gus even took blame for the play calling saying he might have been too conservative. Most people think that means too many first down runs into stacked boxes. I think Gus' agitation was about the officials. What really matters - we won.

The issue is quite simple, open your eyes the issue wasn't with the inability to run the ball, or catch passes, or block, the issue was with what Gus was wearing. He wore the same (very similar) sweater vest he wore when we lost the BCS game, go figure. So from here on out he is to only wear the ugly grey one and the winning vests.

So what exactly did KSU do against us defensively that was so darn effective? What did they do differently than other SEC teams last season? Or did Auburn just execute poorly vs a perefectly executed defense scheme?

Part of it is that K-State played about as perfectly sound fundamental defense as I've seen in a long time, part of it is that our guys didn't execute in some critical moments, and part of it is that Malzahn was, in fact, pretty conservative in his play calling.

And in spite of that, just think about if we put the ball in the end zone for our final score, instead of through the uprights. That puts three scores between us and them, and either breaks their spirit or makes them press too hard and likely turn it over again. We might well have tacked on another touchdown running the ball down their throat, just from the adrenaline of knowing we had it in the bag.

I've heard talking heads say this was going to be the cornerstone game film for stopping Auburn, and on some level I suppose it's true...but it isn't anything SEC DCs didn't know or coach already. Remember the Camback? Bama shut us down completely for a quarter and a half, and then we stormed back in legendary fashion. Now that I think about it, we were driving toward the end zone to take the lead at the end of the third quarter, scoring a TD in the first minute of the final period...kinda like the TD that put us two scores up against K-State.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I think it's more likely that it's Malzahn cracking whatever it is in their game plan that was slowing him down. For every punch, there is a counter...and we've got a Judo master of a head coach.

AU's made a lot enemies the past several years with close wins and two trips to the NC. We are going to get everyone's best effort and certainly early in the year when teams like Arky and K State don't have a serous contest until several games into the season, it make sense that we would have their FULL attention.....probably starting back in spring practice.

But when you are good....and successful, you get everyone's best effort. For the past few years we all know that Bama has been red circled on everyone's calendar and they have to play well every game....not just every now and then. That's part of being an elite program.

AU players and coaches are seeing that high level of attention now.....and better learn how to deal with it.....week after week.

Archived