THE post-game analysis

AubTiger14

First off, I think we underestimated a tough opponent. K-state deserved to be ranked in the top 20 and we saw that. Playing them on the road on a Thursday night...the game just seemed "weird" the whole way through. It wasn't pretty but we got the W. Here is some thoughts I had both good and bad:

1. Defense is definitely better than last year. We held a good rushing team to under 50 yards rushing in their own house...that's pretty legit. D-line was beastly in the run game.

2. Trovon Reed, IMO, put himself in the lead for the no. 2 corner role behind Mincy. Jones has been inconsistent. Reed looked fearless out there and made some plays. Secondary seemed to be improved when he came in the game. We gave up a few plays in the passing game, but your not going to completely shut down a good team in modern day college football. Didn't consistently give up the chunk passing plays we did last year.

3. My biggest issue with the defense is the pass rush. Only pressure was generated by blitzing. Nobody has established themselves as someone that can get to the QB from the 4 down lineman. This must improve.

4. Special teams needs to get better. Does anyone know why that true freshman was brought in to punt? his first punt in that environment on the road? I knew he was gonna drop it before it was even hiked. Also, Punt coverage was spotty even though K State got away with a few blocks in the back.

5. Passing game was terrible tonight! We had a few clutch plays and a few big plays, but also alot of bad plays. All off-season we heard about the improved passing game. It hasn't shown yet. Coates has not been Coates and a few other receivers dropped balls. Nick is making way better decisions, but his accuracy is still inconsistent. Last year I kept saying we would have to find balance, and well we never really had to. This year though, with teams having a whole off-season to prepare, it's clear we are going to have to throw and throw often. Teams are going to take away that zone read as much as they can and force us to throw. We have the talent at receiver and QB. Everyone is just going to need to get on the same page and find the rhythm.

6. Ball security. Was still an issue tonight. Needs to quit being an issue.

7. RB. I think we need to see more Roc and Barber. Artis-Payne is a strong downhill runner. Corey Grant is pure speed. Neither though seems to have the combination of power, speed, and shake of a complete running back. Rotate everyone in there until someone gets hot.

All in all though a W is a W. We have a "cupcake" opponent next week so we can work on a few things before the big game against LSU. I'll wake up tomorrow with a smile on my face that we won, but it's a little disappointing to me that we see flashes of how great this team can be without putting a complete game together

I will say....In 2010 we played a tough, scrappy team on the road for our third game, and won 17-14 in an ugly one. That season turned out pretty good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Clemson game was 27/24

I definitely think it's time to implement Barber and Thomas more though. CAP is good at hitting holes but he proved tonight against speed that he can't create his own holes....Marshall also needs to work on his reads, Tre covered up a lot until we were out sped against FSU. Sometimes Marshall should take the ball twice in a row and just won't, and maybe that goes along with not trying to get injured.

The first half was about as bad as can be and the second half was pretty decent

Nick actually looked pretty good tonight passing, aside from the deflections and the low pass to Louis. Most of the issues tonight was drops and not being able to shake a tackler.

2010 Clemson game was at Jordan-Hare. We played Mississippi State that year on the road and won 17-14. (was the second game, not the third)

And for #4 - Special teams looked fine tonight. The muffed snap was bad, but the guy had the wherewithal to go find the ball and make a heck of a punt, Aussie-style. The punt with the really nice leg on it just outkicked his coverage. I think the wind tonight was brutal (thankfully, more brutal on their guy than on our guy).

The questions I had coming out if the game is whether we have a WR2. Coates looks like Aromashodu as a sophomore. Completely disappearing. Whether our OL can impose its will. So far, mixed results. Last whether we can find the right pieces on the defensive backfield. If we can, it'll allow us to continue bringing pressure with numbers.

I definitely think it's time to implement Barber and Thomas more though. CAP is good at hitting holes but he proved tonight against speed that he can't create his own holes....Marshall also needs to work on his reads, Tre covered up a lot until we were out sped against FSU. Sometimes Marshall should take the ball twice in a row and just won't, and maybe that goes along with not trying to get injured.

First off, I think we underestimated a tough opponent. K-state deserved to be ranked in the top 20 and we saw that. Playing them on the road on a Thursday night...the game just seemed "weird" the whole way through. It wasn't pretty but we got the W. Here is some thoughts I had both good and bad:

1. Defense is definitely better than last year. We held a good rushing team to under 50 yards rushing in their own house...that's pretty legit. D-line was beastly in the run game.

2. Trovon Reed, IMO, put himself in the lead for the no. 2 corner role behind Mincy. Jones has been inconsistent. Reed looked fearless out there and made some plays. Secondary seemed to be improved when he came in the game. We gave up a few plays in the passing game, but your not going to completely shut down a good team in modern day college football. Didn't consistently give up the chunk passing plays we did last year.

3. My biggest issue with the defense is the pass rush. Only pressure was generated by blitzing. Nobody has established themselves as someone that can get to the QB from the 4 down lineman. This must improve.

4. Special teams needs to get better. Does anyone know why that true freshman was brought in to punt? his first punt in that environment on the road? I knew he was gonna drop it before it was even hiked. Also, Punt coverage was spotty even though K State got away with a few blocks in the back.

5. Passing game was terrible tonight! We had a few clutch plays and a few big plays, but also alot of bad plays. All off-season we heard about the improved passing game. It hasn't shown yet. Coates has not been Coates and a few other receivers dropped balls. Nick is making way better decisions, but his accuracy is still inconsistent. Last year I kept saying we would have to find balance, and well we never really had to. This year though, with teams having a whole off-season to prepare, it's clear we are going to have to throw and throw often. Teams are going to take away that zone read as much as they can and force us to throw. We have the talent at receiver and QB. Everyone is just going to need to get on the same page and find the rhythm.

6. Ball security. Was still an issue tonight. Needs to quit being an issue.

7. RB. I think we need to see more Roc and Barber. Artis-Payne is a strong downhill runner. Corey Grant is pure speed. Neither though seems to have the combination of power, speed, and shake of a complete running back. Rotate everyone in there until someone gets hot.

All in all though a W is a W. We have a "cupcake" opponent next week so we can work on a few things before the big game against LSU. I'll wake up tomorrow with a smile on my face that we won, but it's a little disappointing to me that we see flashes of how great this team can be without putting a complete game together

I will say....In 2010 we played a tough, scrappy team on the road for our third game, and won 17-14 in an ugly one. That season turned out pretty good.

cap was dancing too much

We also seemed to be slipping a lot on that turf. Didn't see the speed I've seen on grass this season.

The blocking was crap tonight. Especially on the edge from the WRs. Sammie whiffed three times by my count. Two turned first downs into five yard gains.

We also seemed to be slipping a lot on that turf. Didn't see the speed I've seen on grass this season.

I noticed that too. It was having a huge impact on the ability to cut.

Believe he meant Mississippi State game which was actually our second game.

Fulse missed a few too. I have faith, but let's work on that, brotha.

Yep, you nailed it. I called Lutz out for his blocking and come to find out he was playing with an injury. If Fulse is not hurt, he needs to get a little more physical

This game did just fell weird.Almost like the team just stepped off the bus and thought Kansas State wasn't going to be any good. I did not enjoy watching this game and was so ready for the clock to hit zero and just get out of there. It was the worst game on offense they have had in 2 yrs.With that said not alot of teams can say they played their worst game in 2 years and beat a top 20 team on the road.Also the coaches can use this to get on the players as hard as a loss, all the while still be undefeated. And lastly I'm so glad we have Duke Williams,we do not win tonight without him on the field. So all in all war eagle.I just want this offense to get back to being Auburn Fast and things will be okay.

I was referring to Miss St. in 2010. I guess that was our second game and not our 3rd. It was the same way last year though. It took us a few games to find our offensive groove. Hopefully we find it quick, because starting Oct. 4 the real schedule begins.

This game did just fell weird.Almost like the team just stepped off the bus and thought Kansas State wasn't going to be any good. I did not enjoy watching this game and was so ready for the clock to hit zero and just get out of there. It was the worst game on offense they have had in 2 yrs.With that said not alot of teams can say they played their worst game in 2 years and beat a top 20 team on the road.Also the coaches can use this to get on the players as hard as a loss, all the while still be undefeated. And lastly I'm so glad we have Duke Williams,we do not win tonight without him on the field. So all in all war eagle.I just want this offense to get back to being Auburn Fast and things will be okay.

Duke was our offense when there was none else to be had. Four clutch 3rd down conversions and a Touchdown pass caught. He was the difference on offense, specifically the passing offense, when our run game went to crap

This game was not fun. I was just ready for it to be over.

I was also glad to see this one over. The offense was terrible and I am now worried this will be the tape every team in the SEC, those with actual 5 star defenders, will be watching. Marshal as usual has some throws that make you say "wow that was perfect" and then there were the ones that have me screaming at the tv. I thought the defense was good. They got decent pressure but the qb just managed to run the opposite way and make a good throw A lot of people are talking about Trovon and he deserves some hype but I really liked # 23 Ford. I thought he played a good game. Dude was in on many plays and you can see the speed he brings to the secondary. He broke up what would have been a td pass where trovon got beat alittle and ford nearly made a over the shoulder INT. Just thought he was all over the place.

I think we did a poor job in the punting game. We allowed big returns and our kicks were not great. I, as others also pointed out would like to know why we used another punter at the beginning of the game. The dropped snap could have been a big problem, but he was able to hit a decent punt.

Another kick that bothered me was the kickoff we pooch kicked and they made a nice return of it. If our kicker can put it deep in the endzone, we should not pooch kick it.

JMO This is a game we won but maybe should not have. Something was wrong tonight. AU either totally overlooked ksu or AU is not nearly as good as we think. IMO, it is a little of both. The team did not appear to be "with it" tonight. Did the Whitehead incident have an effect? Who knows. The team was out of sync. No chemistry. OL not able to stay on blocks or even get on a block, backs not able to hit holes - too much dancing, receivers couldn't catch, Marshall not hitting some throws, Marshall staring down receivers and thus allowing DLs to knock passes down, Marshall possibly not executing the correct read on the read options. Did the play calling get a little "too cute" in the 4th qtr down in the ksu redzone? Most of our being out of sync was on the offense. The D played pretty well with the exception of allowing big 3rd and long conversions - but for the last several years that has become rather expected. And, the slot receiver filling the zone the wide out just vacated and being wide open due to our db playing 10-12 yards off of him. This is not meant to be a negative post but just my observations from THIS game. I am tickled to leave Manhattan with a "W" and get the kinks worked out next week. We have a tough schedule ahead and this team needs to "find" itself just like we did after the loss at lsu last year. Sometimes a team just needs a wakeup call or a little slap in the face to get it's attention. WDE.

JMO This is a game we won but maybe should not have. Something was wrong tonight. AU either totally overlooked ksu or AU is not nearly as good as we think. IMO, it is a little of both. The team did not appear to be "with it" tonight. Did the Whitehead incident have an effect? Who knows. The team was out of sync. No chemistry. OL not able to stay on blocks or even get on a block, backs not able to hit holes - too much dancing, receivers couldn't catch, Marshall not hitting some throws, Marshall staring down receivers and thus allowing DLs to knock passes down, Marshall possibly not executing the correct read on the read options. Did the play calling get a little "too cute" in the 4th qtr down in the ksu redzone? Most of our being out of sync was on the offense. The D played pretty well with the exception of allowing big 3rd and long conversions - but for the last several years that has become rather expected. And, the slot receiver filling the zone the wide out just vacated and being wide open due to our db playing 10-12 yards off of him. This is not meant to be a negative post but just my observations from THIS game. I am tickled to leave Manhattan with a "W" and get the kinks worked out next week. We have a tough schedule ahead and this team needs to "find" itself just like we did after the loss at lsu last year. Sometimes a team just needs a wakeup call or a little slap in the face to get it's attention. WDE.

If you are going to win a championship you are probably going to have one game like this. Let's hope this was just an aberration and it woke them up as you say.

As far as the refs are concerned. KSU penalties against ISU 10 for 77 yards. Against Auburn, 0-0. In one week they went from 10 to perfect.

Really?

...and the 1 (ONE) penalty they DID call against KSU, they made sure to make up for it by calling T.Reed on a bogus PI/Def Holding call. When I heard that big12 officials were calling the game in a big12 stadium I was like "huh,what?" but this was just adding to the "weird factor" that this game held.

Archived