La Tech - A Reality of This Game

aucanucktiger

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2348/louisiana-tech-bulldogs

Important minnow we must beat and beat soundly. La Tech is a common opponent of both AU and #4 Oklahoma. The Sooners have already trounced La Tech. In the poll era this was also the case but a reality of this game - and it pains me to write this - is AU style points (including but not limited to points we score/allow) will likely be a consideration by "The Committee" when comparing AU & Okie at season's end. Just something consider IMHO with these common opponents.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you worried about Oklahoma? And I don't think the committee is going to use La Tech as a decisive game if it came down to Auburn and OU to break down the two opponents. KSU, perhaps, La Tech, no.

If Auburn is 11-1 and OU is 12-0, OU gets the nod, end of story. If Auburn is 11-1 and OU is 11-1, Auburn gets the nod, end of story. Why are you worried about OU?

SEC Champ is in

Pac 12 Champ is in, unless something funky happens (like a 2-loss Arizona State beating Oregon).

Undefeated Big XII is in

Undefeated ACC is in

If either the Big XII and ACC do not have undefeated teams, SEC 1 loss, non-champion, team is in.

If both the Big XII and ACC do not have undefeated teams, then Big XII, ACC, and Big 10 fight for the last spot. Same applied if funky Pac 12 championship occurs.

Point is, the SEC champ is in. A second SEC team is in as long as it is 1-loss and the Big XII and ACC don't both produce undefeated teams. It's that straight forward.

You guys are the scoreboard-watching-est people I've ever seen. You're worried about the margin of victory against LaTech as compared to Oklahoma... DURING WEEK FOUR OF THE SEASON. Let me let you in on a secret. It won't matter. Either we'll lose games or they'll lose games or we'll both be in the playoff. The odds of it coming down to non-SEC champ Auburn and Big 12 champ-but-somehow-not-in-the-field Oklahoma are worse than the odds of winning the lottery. Seriously. If OU wins the Big 12, they're in. If we win the SEC, we're in. If they don't win the Big 12, they're not going to make the playoff. If we don't win the SEC, we're probably not going to make the playoff unless we're 11-1 with a loss to a top ten team on the road; AND FSU loses. Then, we could get in over ACC champ FSU. That's the list. The LaTech game will. not. matter.

This is not 2004. If Auburn goes 12-0 or 11-1, and wins the SEC Championship, they are in. Period. Might be the fourth seed, but they are in. The SEC commands that kind of respect now and frankly, so does Auburn on the basis of playing for two natties in four years.

Don't worry about OU or anyone else. Worry about us.

Hopefully coach Malzahn will get this offense to rolling like they have been since he became AU's head coach. The defense played lights out and won that game.

Yep, this is a season where AU has one job, win. It can be like last night or it can be like last week, but all they have to do is win. A loss might not be the end of their playoff hopes unless it keeps them out of the SECCG or happens IN the SECCG. The consensus is AU has an impossible schedule and no matter how they make it through (ugly or pretty), the SOS will carry them if they win.

The reality of this game...

...is that it can only hurt. A close win of less than 3 TD's would hurt, an outright loss would be devastating, and a blow out simply expected. In game one AU was matched by Arky in the 1st half, and only managed to put up one strong quarter of quality play, prior to a rain hampered fourth quarter. The next game was against a push over bargain basement team which merits little to nothing besides not losing. The next week was an off-week. And the fourth week (3rd game) nearly lost if not for their field goal kicker or a tipped pick in their end zone. That's one quarter of actual play that somehow get's this team puffed up in some make belief mid-season poll. The perception of the rest of the nation could very easily be a little different than the most friendly of fan forum.

... unfortunately that's the reality of this game.

((Luckily all you have to do is get through the 1st half of a season without a loss.... look for drop in the next two polls before the LSU game))

This is not 2004. If Auburn goes 12-0 or 11-1, and wins the SEC Championship, they are in. Period. Might be the fourth seed, but they are in. The SEC commands that kind of respect now and frankly, so does Auburn on the basis of playing for two natties in four years.

Don't worry about OU or anyone else. Worry about us.

Exactly, our SOS is recognized by all.

Regardless of how soundly we beat La Tech, if we beat LSU in Jordan Hare the following week, we will be looked upon as one of the best teams in the country.

Why are you worried about Oklahoma? And I don't think the committee is going to use La Tech as a decisive game if it came down to Auburn and OU to break down the two opponents. KSU, perhaps, La Tech, no.

If Auburn is 11-1 and OU is 12-0, OU gets the nod, end of story. If Auburn is 11-1 and OU is 11-1, Auburn gets the nod, end of story. Why are you worried about OU?

SEC Champ is in

Pac 12 Champ is in, unless something funky happens (like a 2-loss Arizona State beating Oregon).

Undefeated Big XII is in

Undefeated ACC is in

If either the Big XII and ACC do not have undefeated teams, SEC 1 loss, non-champion, team is in.

If both the Big XII and ACC do not have undefeated teams, then Big XII, ACC, and Big 10 fight for the last spot. Same applied if funky Pac 12 championship occurs.

Point is, the SEC champ is in. A second SEC team is in as long as it is 1-loss and the Big XII and ACC don't both produce undefeated teams. It's that straight forward.

^^^^This^^^^ (with caveats)

All of this debate over how strong is the B1G or XII etc. is more about their champion vs. the highest ranked SEC non-Champion team.

The "Committee" will have two major polls telling them who are numbers 1 through 4. Any deviation from those 4 will require explanation, and if the Committee chooses poorly, the CFB will quickly go the way of the Bowl Coalition.

The road to Dallas did not go through Manhattan KS. It never did. It does go through Atlanta. If you can win enough to get to Atlanta, and then win in Atlanta, chances are you are in. That said, it is not impossible for two and even three-loss SEC teams to win the SEC championship.

At least one team from the SEC will likely be in the playoff. It will probably be the SEC CG winner. If the SEC champion is ranked #6 or below, it will be hard to put them in. If the SEC Champion is out, and there is non-champion member of the SEC ranked in the top 4 in all of the polls, it will be hard to keep that SEC non-Champion team out. If the SEC Champion is in, and the highest ranked SEC non-Champion is ranked in the top 3, it will also be hard to keep them out.

With a 4-team playoff, it will come down to a debate between #4 and #5. That is what all of this conference strength hand-wringing is about. Numbers 1 through 3 will be a lock.

Like last year, will will not likely know anything until the dust has settled late at night on Championship Saturday.

I don't care about polls. I want to us to use the La Tech game to fix our problems: Drops by WRs, Oline run blocking, special teams coverage, allow the defense to get better and the younger players to get reps; and continue to get better in the passing game. All we need to do is win and we'll be where we want to be.

I don't care about polls. I want to us to use the La Tech game to fix our problems: Drops by WRs, Oline run blocking, special teams coverage, allow the defense to get better and the younger players to get reps; and continue to get better in the passing game. All we need to do is win and we'll be where we want to be.

Bingo.

I remember in 2010 when we used the La Monroe game- 5th game of the season- to tune up the passing game. Cam either had 0 or 1 rushing attempt and threw 20-something passes, IIRC. Vastly different than almost any other split the rest of the season. Not saying that Marshall's just going to hang in the pocket against La Tech- as you said, we have a lot of other areas to tune up- but this is absolutely a game to use to get better. Stat padding should be residual, not the goal.

As others have said, I don't think the La Tech scores matters in terms of our post-season hopes. It only matters in terms of how prepared we are for LSU. Winning any of the SEC games in November by any score will go a lot further than laying a number on Crappy Directional State in September.

Yep.....four weeks after the LaTech game, the point spread won't matter because what will really matter is whether we have wins over LSU Miss State and South Carolina.....win those game and things look great...except that we then have Ole Miss, TAMU, UGa and Bama..... and yet people are worried about the point spread against LaTech....amazing.

^^^^ .... more worried about not dropping too low in the polls. As many have pointed out with SOS any win will do; however sometimes moving up those last 2-3 spots in a poll is wee bit hard, and unfortunately this may be the only Awe'run game some see from beginning to end.

Had hoped for a better Thursday Night show.

You guys are the scoreboard-watching-est people I've ever seen. You're worried about the margin of victory against LaTech as compared to Oklahoma... DURING WEEK FOUR OF THE SEASON. Let me let you in on a secret. It won't matter. Either we'll lose games or they'll lose games or we'll both be in the playoff. The odds of it coming down to non-SEC champ Auburn and Big 12 champ-but-somehow-not-in-the-field Oklahoma are worse than the odds of winning the lottery. Seriously. If OU wins the Big 12, they're in. If we win the SEC, we're in. If they don't win the Big 12, they're not going to make the playoff. If we don't win the SEC, we're probably not going to make the playoff unless we're 11-1 with a loss to a top ten team on the road; AND FSU loses. Then, we could get in over ACC champ FSU. That's the list. The LaTech game will. not. matter.

Thanks for that, mcgu. Now I don't have to be interested in anything this season. I now that if Auburn wins the SEC, we're in the playoff. Didn't realize that before. I'll just check back at the end of the season to see how we did....

:rolleyes:

yeah man..this is our last easy game until a brutal stretch of games,time to get it right

I'm not worried about how big of a margin Auburn wins this next game.I just want to see them come in and execute and not make so many mistakes. The last two games have been marked by some sloppy play. SJSU was just outmanned. KSU had some chances to pull off the upset. They have to get these things corrected.

Britt, there is plenty to discuss and watch and fret over during the season. The comparative point spread between OU and AU against LaTech is not one of them.

Archived