La Tech - A Reality of This Game

aucanucktiger

Oklahoma and Auburn are both in contention for the playoffs.

We have a common opponent.

The selection committee will consider performance against common opponents in its deliberations.

Selection Committee members will have a wealth of information including review of video, statistics and their own expertise to guide them in their deliberations. They will emphasize obvious factors like win-loss records, strength of schedule, conference championships won, head-to-head results and results against common opponents.

It is not silly to think about La Tech in terms of their being a common opponent with OU. It's silly to say it's silly. Also, I don't want to speak for Canuck, but I suspect he also knows that if Auburn wins the SEC, we're in.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to see ksu vs Oklahoma and other big 12ers. They might be on top.

So am I. Suppose the eventual Big 12 champ isn't K-State, but the champ loses to K-State. That would also be interesting.

Win the SEC and we are in. Any other way and we dont. It's that simple, some of the ways you guys are drawing up ways for a second SEC team to make the playoffs is flawed. First I'll say this There is no way in Hell that a second SEC team gets in this year. It will be 4 power conference champions or 3 power 5 conference champs and ND. I seriously doubt that 2 of the P5 conferences explode this year, will there be teams with 1 loss, sure, but there will not be 2 SEC teams in the playoff, if you believe there will I have some Atlantic ocean front property in Denver that I want to sell to you cheap. Absolutely beautiful beach, Hurry before it's gone.

Win the SEC and we are in. Any other way and we dont. It's that simple, some of the ways you guys are drawing up ways for a second SEC team to make the playoffs is flawed. First I'll say this There is no way in Hell that a second SEC team gets in this year. It will be 4 power conference champions or 3 power 5 conference champs and ND. I seriously doubt that 2 of the P5 conferences explode this year, will there be teams with 1 loss, sure, but there will not be 2 SEC teams in the playoff, if you believe there will I have some Atlantic ocean front property in Denver that I want to sell to you cheap. Absolutely beautiful beach, Hurry before it's gone.

I agree the committee will do it's best to keep the SEC participation to 1 team but you never know....otherwise, IMO you are probably right about the power conferences...but then again:

Consider that ND plays FSU, Stanford and USCw...if they make it through their schedule undefeated, they probably deserve to go...but either ND or FSU will take a hit on October 18 which probably eliminates one or the other....just an example of the dangers of making pronouncements at this point in the season.

All this early season speculation might be fun but to engage in that speculation it would be wise to check the schedules of the major candidates and see what is likely...and how easily some big schools could fall by the wayside along the way. .

I had no idea the level of naivete on this forum when I posted this thread. Here's the Proposed Selection Process. Look under "comparative outcomes of common opponents".

http://www.collegefo...mittee-protocol

Whether you all like it or not, scoreboard watching is the rule of the day. See also the intro about football ranking being "as much art as science". Get it? The COMMITTEE is the only thing we need to impress and they have guidlines including scenarios such as AU/Ok vs La Tech. Let me spell out just one of many possible anecdotes. Oklahoma loses once, to an unranked team. We lose to two top 10 teams. Now, with that very likely scenario you care to run that "common opponent won't be considered" by me once again?

I had no idea the level of naivete on this forum when I posted this thread. Here's the Proposed Selection Process. Look under "comparative outcomes of common opponents".

http://www.collegefo...mittee-protocol

Whether you all like it or not, scoreboard watching is the rule of the day. See also the intro about football ranking being "as much art as science". Get it? The COMMITTEE is the only thing we need to impress and they have guidlines including scenarios such as AU/Ok vs La Tech. Let me spell out just one of many possible anecdotes. Oklahoma loses once, to an unranked team. We lose to two top 10 teams. Now, with that very likely scenario you care to run that "common opponent won't be considered" by me once again?

If this team doesn't cut out the miscues and start playing better, none of that will matter. The Auburn team that played the last two games will lose at least 3 games.

The sky is falling guys. Everyone take cover. We are doomed. We beat a ranked team on the road In a prime time event. This season is toast. Just pack it in and go home <sarcasm>

nobody is saying that. The mistakes are there but they are correctable. This team can achieve great things. All I'm saying is we've got people already assuming a lot of things and getting way ahead of themselves. I know it's fun to speculate. They've got one more "tuneup" game and then they start with the big boys. I believe they will be ready. They better be.

All our Tigers can do is learn from the KSU game, look to correct the mistakes, and move on.

All of us can agree that this is not the AU offense that played last night we are accustom to under Gus. To say the offense was underwhelming, would be an understatement.

On the bright side, the D looked good overall. Pass rush without a blitz was not good, but against the run we looked impressive.

Travon Reed looked good at corner. Frost had a good night as well.

Our offense was out of sync and not aligned properly all night. Our RBs had no lead blocking to open the initial holes. Extremely non- typical for this offense.

The reality is we have to work out issues in all phases of the game. Auburn winning big in front of their fans and working on those issues is all that matters.

If you don't score watch, then you are missing the beauty of college football. Just my opinion. :)

I agree. But somehow others who don't also don't want those of us who do to discuss it. I find it really odd that this thread has garnered so much hostile attention.

If you don't score watch, then you are missing the beauty of college football. Just my opinion. :)/>

I agree. But somehow others who don't also don't want those of us who do to discuss it. I find it really odd that this thread has garnered so much hostile attention.

who ever said that you can't? I just don't get all the hand wringing over some scenario that may not ever come to pass. You've expended all that time and energy for nothing. I just don't get it. I guess I not a true fan

We will not lose to La Tech. We will probably win this one by at least 28 points or more. We have played 2 very solid teams, and one that is a 7-5 team. I think that KSU will likely win their division or finish 2nd. Arky will beat some teams that they are not supposed to. Look for MSU to give LSU a run for their money and maybe a win.

If you don't score watch, then you are missing the beauty of college football. Just my opinion. :)/>

who ever said that you can't? I just don't get all the hand wringing over some scenario that may not ever come to pass. You've expended all that time and energy for nothing. I just don't get it. I guess I not a true fan

My comment wasn't directed at you, tigger. I should have said 'some others don't want us to discuss it'.

None of us score board watchers is ignorant of the fact that if Auburn wins the SEC, we'll be in the Playoff. Yet throughout this thread, this fact gets repeated as if we don't know it. It's also obvious that if we 'take care of business' by winning all our games, that's 'end of story'. I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to post that info (again, not directed at you, tigger).

Here's the thing. I, at least, am not worried or wringing my hands about anything. Before the Playoff, I would have just thought of the LaTech game as a glorified practice, too -- a chance for us to work on correcting mistakes. I also would think of the game as irrelevant, unless we were somehow to lose it. But because the Selection Committee will, in fact, consider common opponents as one of their selection criteria, it adds a little more interest to the LaTech game for me. That's all.

I'm also more interested to see how K-State performs the rest of the season than I would otherwise have been. I want them to spank West Virginia, and I'd be thrilled if K-State were actually to win the Big 12.

I find thinking about possible future scenarios enjoyable. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that someone (not you, tigger) will follow this post with the proclamation that if we win the SEC, we're in the Playoff. That's just another way of saying that we shouldn't be talking about other scenarios.

My comment wasn't directed at you, tigger. I should have said 'some others don't want us to discuss it'.

None of us score board watchers is ignorant of the fact that if Auburn wins the SEC, we'll be in the Playoff. Yet throughout this thread, this fact gets repeated as if we don't know it. It's also obvious that if we 'take care of business' by winning all our games, that's 'end of story'. I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to post that info (again, not directed at you, tigger).

Here's the thing. I, at least, am not worried or wringing my hands about anything. Before the Playoff, I would have just thought of the LaTech game as a glorified practice, too -- a chance for us to work on correcting mistakes. I also would think of the game as irrelevant, unless we were somehow to lose it. But because the Selection Committee will, in fact, consider common opponents as one of their selection criteria, it adds a little more interest to the LaTech game for me. That's all.

I'm also more interested to see how K-State performs the rest of the season than I would otherwise have been. I want them to spank West Virginia, and I'd be thrilled if K-State were actually to win the Big 12.

I find thinking about possible future scenarios enjoyable. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that someone (not you, tigger) will follow this post with the proclamation that if we win the SEC, we're in the Playoff. That's just another way of saying that we shouldn't be talking about other scenarios.

Oh, just face it. Some folks have a keen eye for the obvious. (And can't resist telling everyone about it.) ;D

Oh, just face it. Some folks have a keen eye for the obvious. (And can't resist telling everyone about it.) ;D

If we win the SEC, we're in the playoff. Period....END OF STORY!!! :big:

Yep.

All our Tigers can do is learn from the KSU game, look to correct the mistakes, and move on.

All of us can agree that this is not the AU offense that played last night we are accustom to under Gus. To say the offense was underwhelming, would be an understatement.

On the bright side, the D looked good overall. Pass rush without a blitz was not good, but against the run we looked impressive.

Travon Reed looked good at corner. Frost had a good night as well.

Our offense was out of sync and not aligned properly all night. Our RBs had no lead blocking to open the initial holes. Extremely non- typical for this offense.

I'm not so sure the. Lack of blitz with 4 was a problem. I think that might have been by design to contain the QB who take most of his runs straight up the gut after the line breaks down. If I were CGM I think I would have played it that way. But I could be wrong.

I absolutely agree that we need to run it up against the cupcakes. Since Auburn got screwed in 2004 I'm a firm believer that we need to remove anything remotely close to a brake off the bus.

I just don't see 2 SEC teams getting in this year. It would take total collapses in 2 conferences and a collapse by ND as well.

Although I do like Collins Cowherd ' s thoughts that if say Auburn loses the IB close and Alabama wins the SEC it's possible that the shadow board chooses Auburn over Bama due to Bama weak schedule. He was so sure of it he said he would take a 2 loss Auburn over bama. In treating to think about.

I absolutely agree that we need to run it up against the cupcakes. Since Auburn got screwed in 2004 I'm a firm believer that we need to remove anything remotely close to a brake off the bus.

I just don't see 2 SEC teams getting in this year. It would take total collapses in 2 conferences and a collapse by ND as well.

Although I do like Collins Cowherd ' s thoughts that if say Auburn loses the IB close and Alabama wins the SEC it's possible that the shadow board chooses Auburn over Bama due to Bama weak schedule. He was so sure of it he said he would take a 2 loss Auburn over bama. In treating to think about.

I definitely think it's unlikely to happen that two SEC (or any other conference) teams make it into the Playoff. The only sure way to get in is to win all our games, with winning the SEC with maybe 1 loss the next surest.

I don't think we get in over a team that beats us, unless the team that beats us has more losses. So, let's say a 1-loss Bama beats us in the IB, giving us our only loss. Bama goes to the SECCG and loses to a team we've beaten (either USCe or UGA). Now, they have two losses and we've already beaten the SEC champ. Now let's say that ND, the PAC12 champ, and the ACC champ all have 2 losses and K-State wins the Big12.

I realize that's all highly unlikely. Just fun to think about how the Committee might handle that.

Archived