La Tech - A Reality of This Game

aucanucktiger

If you don't score watch, then you are missing the beauty of college football. Just my opinion. :)/>

I agree. But somehow others who don't also don't want those of us who do to discuss it. I find it really odd that this thread has garnered so much hostile attention.

who ever said that you can't? I just don't get all the hand wringing over some scenario that may not ever come to pass. You've expended all that time and energy for nothing. I just don't get it. I guess I not a true fan

My comment wasn't directed at you, tigger. I should have said 'some others don't want us to discuss it'.

None of us score board watchers is ignorant of the fact that if Auburn wins the SEC, we'll be in the Playoff. Yet throughout this thread, this fact gets repeated as if we don't know it. It's also obvious that if we 'take care of business' by winning all our games, that's 'end of story'. I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to post that info (again, not directed at you, tigger).

Here's the thing. I, at least, am not worried or wringing my hands about anything. Before the Playoff, I would have just thought of the LaTech game as a glorified practice, too -- a chance for us to work on correcting mistakes. I also would think of the game as irrelevant, unless we were somehow to lose it. But because the Selection Committee will, in fact, consider common opponents as one of their selection criteria, it adds a little more interest to the LaTech game for me. That's all.

I'm also more interested to see how K-State performs the rest of the season than I would otherwise have been. I want them to spank West Virginia, and I'd be thrilled if K-State were actually to win the Big 12.

I find thinking about possible future scenarios enjoyable. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that someone (not you, tigger) will follow this post with the proclamation that if we win the SEC, we're in the Playoff. That's just another way of saying that we shouldn't be talking about other scenarios.

I absolutely agree that we need to run it up against the cupcakes. Since Auburn got screwed in 2004 I'm a firm believer that we need to remove anything remotely close to a brake off the bus.

I just don't see 2 SEC teams getting in this year. It would take total collapses in 2 conferences and a collapse by ND as well.

Although I do like Collins Cowherd ' s thoughts that if say Auburn loses the IB close and Alabama wins the SEC it's possible that the shadow board chooses Auburn over Bama due to Bama weak schedule. He was so sure of it he said he would take a 2 loss Auburn over bama. In treating to think about.

I definitely think it's unlikely to happen that two SEC (or any other conference) teams make it into the Playoff. The only sure way to get in is to win all our games, with winning the SEC with maybe 1 loss the next surest.

I don't think we get in over a team that beats us, unless the team that beats us has more losses. So, let's say a 1-loss Bama beats us in the IB, giving us our only loss. Bama goes to the SECCG and loses to a team we've beaten (either USCe or UGA). Now, they have two losses and we've already beaten the SEC champ. Now let's say that ND, the PAC12 champ, and the ACC champ all have 2 losses and K-State wins the Big12.

I realize that's all highly unlikely. Just fun to think about how the Committee might handle that.

It is fun to think about and I have discussed it at length with an old coworker, bammer fan at that, and he's in agreement that it's so unfeasible for 2 SEC teams to make it in with complete catastrophic events in at least 3 conferences. All in all I think all this discussion will be a moot point come December as we win the SEC. I don't think anyone can knock us off except maybe TAMU if they are actually for real, but time will tell.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't score watch, then you are missing the beauty of college football. Just my opinion. :)/>

I agree. But somehow others who don't also don't want those of us who do to discuss it. I find it really odd that this thread has garnered so much hostile attention.

who ever said that you can't? I just don't get all the hand wringing over some scenario that may not ever come to pass. You've expended all that time and energy for nothing. I just don't get it. I guess I not a true fan

My comment wasn't directed at you, tigger. I should have said 'some others don't want us to discuss it'.

None of us score board watchers is ignorant of the fact that if Auburn wins the SEC, we'll be in the Playoff. Yet throughout this thread, this fact gets repeated as if we don't know it. It's also obvious that if we 'take care of business' by winning all our games, that's 'end of story'. I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to post that info (again, not directed at you, tigger).

Here's the thing. I, at least, am not worried or wringing my hands about anything. Before the Playoff, I would have just thought of the LaTech game as a glorified practice, too -- a chance for us to work on correcting mistakes. I also would think of the game as irrelevant, unless we were somehow to lose it. But because the Selection Committee will, in fact, consider common opponents as one of their selection criteria, it adds a little more interest to the LaTech game for me. That's all.

I'm also more interested to see how K-State performs the rest of the season than I would otherwise have been. I want them to spank West Virginia, and I'd be thrilled if K-State were actually to win the Big 12.

I find thinking about possible future scenarios enjoyable. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that someone (not you, tigger) will follow this post with the proclamation that if we win the SEC, we're in the Playoff. That's just another way of saying that we shouldn't be talking about other scenarios.

I absolutely agree that we need to run it up against the cupcakes. Since Auburn got screwed in 2004 I'm a firm believer that we need to remove anything remotely close to a brake off the bus.

I just don't see 2 SEC teams getting in this year. It would take total collapses in 2 conferences and a collapse by ND as well.

Although I do like Collins Cowherd ' s thoughts that if say Auburn loses the IB close and Alabama wins the SEC it's possible that the shadow board chooses Auburn over Bama due to Bama weak schedule. He was so sure of it he said he would take a 2 loss Auburn over bama. In treating to think about.

I definitely think it's unlikely to happen that two SEC (or any other conference) teams make it into the Playoff. The only sure way to get in is to win all our games, with winning the SEC with maybe 1 loss the next surest.

I don't think we get in over a team that beats us, unless the team that beats us has more losses. So, let's say a 1-loss Bama beats us in the IB, giving us our only loss. Bama goes to the SECCG and loses to a team we've beaten (either USCe or UGA). Now, they have two losses and we've already beaten the SEC champ. Now let's say that ND, the PAC12 champ, and the ACC champ all have 2 losses and K-State wins the Big12.

I realize that's all highly unlikely. Just fun to think about how the Committee might handle that.

It is fun to think about and I have discussed it at length with an old coworker, bammer fan at that, and he's in agreement that it's so unfeasible for 2 SEC teams to make it in with complete catastrophic events in at least 3 conferences. All in all I think all this discussion will be a moot point come December as we win the SEC. I don't think anyone can knock us off except maybe TAMU if they are actually for real, but time will tell.

Well, we need something to keep us occupied until the next game.

;D

K state is the wildcard in all of this. I don't know how good they really are. I do watch other teams that we play to see how good they actually are and their record. I do it more out of getting a better handle on Auburn. Maybe I underestimated KSU and that was why AU seemed to "struggle" I personally don't get into score comparisons. I wish they would throw that part out. Some teams just match up better against certain other teams. There is no way to factor in all of the variables that go into why a team might play one team close and get blown out by another. I can see at the end of the season looking at wins and losses vs common opponents but trying to compare scores is impossible.

K state is the wildcard in all of this. I don't know how good they really are. I do watch other teams that we play to see how good they actually are and their record. I do it more out of getting a better handle on Auburn. Maybe I underestimated KSU and that was why AU seemed to "struggle" I personally don't get into score comparisons. I wish they would throw that part out. Some teams just match up better against certain other teams. There is no way to factor in all of the variables that go into why a team might play one team close and get blown out by another. I can see at the end of the season looking at wins and losses vs common opponents but trying to compare scores is impossible.

I agree with that. W-L versus common opponents makes much more sense than margin of victory, but it should still be a minor factor in making the decision.

Hey, Canuck!

Looks like Scarbo agrees with us. (Not sure whether that's good or bad in terms of convincing folks here :big: .)

This weekend’s homecoming is more than an opportunity for Auburn fans to enjoy a feel-good victory over a no-threat opponent. It’s a chance for the Auburn football team to make a statement that could resonate all the way to Selection Sunday.

The world may not be watching, but the playoff selection committee will be.

Hey, Canuck!

Looks like Scarbo agrees with us. (Not sure whether that's good or bad in terms of convincing folks here :big: .)

This weekend’s homecoming is more than an opportunity for Auburn fans to enjoy a feel-good victory over a no-threat opponent. It’s a chance for the Auburn football team to make a statement that could resonate all the way to Selection Sunday.

When will the media dullards learn they need to start monitoring the brilliance on this board? ;)

The most important aspect of Saturday is that our boys show up to play, and do not take La Tech for granted. We should, and will, win this game. I hope we win convincingly, and focus on correcting our mistakes, but to think that all we have to do is show up and we are guaranteed to win can be dangerous. Many great teams have fallen to lesser opponents for overlooking them.

That said, I think Gus will have our boys focused, and we will correct our issues from the K-State game. Our O-Line will dominate, CAP and Grant will get a lot of carries in the 1st half, then Barber and Roc will finish the game. Nick will come out slinging the ball around the field, then give way to JJ to get some reps for the 2nd half. I don't care if we win by 2-3 touchdowns, or 6-7 touchdowns, as long as we look crisp and precise doing it. We were sloppy against K-State, which caused the rest of the country to mistake as Auburn falling apart. We looked bad, and K-State missing all those field goals didn't help. We need to have crisp execution on offense, and our defense needs to continue doing what they do, and we'll be fine.

War Eagle!!!!

Hey, Canuck!

When will the media dullards learn they need to start monitoring the brilliance on this board? ;)

I know, right?

Actually, I suspect most of them do read the boards.

I've enjoyed Scarbo's 'My First Four' stories, which are an interesting way of getting at the real Selection Committee's thought processes.

This thread is just odd. Some people just cannot live without manufacturing something to worry about.

Look for Braden smith to make the rotation more often (starting soon), as the season moves on. His power and athleticism will come in handy, especially on running plays,once he gets all the offensive play book implemented. As far as the difference between Oklahoma and AU in common foes is when ou plays ksu. The calls AU should have gotten ou will get because they play in the big 12 not the sec. The bias began when Tennessee played ou, like us, the big 12 refs did not do Tennessee any favors.

Bumping this thread so folks will stop hijacking other threads (e.g. the LSU depth chart thread) re-hashing the "we're okay if we don't lose and I don't want to think past that" brilliance.

Archived