Game 3 eerily resembles last year

Maverick.AU

Auburn has had their worst Offensive performances under Malzahn in week 3 against MSU last year and KSU this year

2013 game: 22 first downs, 10-18 3rd down, 459 total yards, 339 passing 10 ypp, 120 rushing 3.3 ypr, 3 Turnovers

2014 game: 22 first downs, 7-15 3rd down, 359 total yards, 245 passing 6.1 ypp, 128 rushing 2.8 ypr, 1 Turnover

As everyone knows we played LSU the next week, at least we have La Tech to work out the kinks before LSU.

Was just surprising to me that both games 3's of the past 2 seasons have been a struggling point for our offense. It is also makes me think its not going to be long before we get on that red hot streak again.

War Eagle.

Malzahn's offenses have historically had a game or 2 in which they struggled before coming out red hot after the 4th or 5th game. 2010 it was Clemson and Miss St. 2013 it was MSU and LSU. Hopefully this season it only takes one game of struggling before they catch fire. In 2010 it started with the offensive line being challenged and responding. That's what we need here. They got pushed around against KSU.

Plus the fact that this was KSU's Super Bowl that they have been preparing for since last year, and were dubbing their "program maker" in the media. I believe our guys looked past these guys a little, judging by some tweets I saw, and got punched right in the mouth. A wake up call if you will.

With a returning QB and experienced O line you would think we would look better, but I do believe Gus stays pretty vanilla and opens up as the year goes on. I don't think he likes to show too much at the beginning of the year.

Our school coach and I were discussing this very thing Friday morning. "WEEK THREE." If KSU is our "Missisippi State", then let the Bulldogs be our 2013 SEC Championship...ala Missouri...whom we may be blessed to see again, same stage, same December, one year later! Weegs...you hit it also. We need, as fans and especially as players, to be confronted with our vulnerabilities in aptitude and attitude in order to emerge as contenders and burst forth as champions.

:jossun:

Tre Mason isn't walking through the doors and NM isn't going to suddenly morph into an accurate passer. YOU don't need to be concerned but Auburn isn't going anywhere if NM is only going to complete 55% of his passes. He has the third worst passer rating in the SEC. The only true difference between this year and last year was last year, this forum could use the excuse of NM didn't having training camp so it's going to take some time. This year, it's everybody else's fault but DON'T blame NM.

Also, the running game hasn't resembled anything like last year's and it's basically the same as last year and that's a problem going forward. Maybe team's have started to figure this Auburn run game out.

Tre Mason isn't walking through the doors and NM isn't going to suddenly morph into an accurate passer. YOU don't need to be concerned but Auburn isn't going anywhere if NM is only going to complete 55% of his passes. He has the third worst passer rating in the SEC. The only true difference between this year and last year was last year, this forum could use the excuse of NM didn't having training camp so it's going to take some time. This year, it's everybody else's fault but DON'T blame NM.

Also, the running game hasn't resembled anything like last year's and it's basically the same as last year and that's a problem going forward. Maybe team's have started to figure this Auburn run game out.

Im not even going to reply to your first point

your 2nd point… If Miss St had the game plan for stopping auburns run then why didn't people do it last year? Gus will adjust and the offense will get in sync. You could tell it was the ENITRE offense, not just one player that wasn't in sync. Offense played the worst game of the Malzahn era but they still got a huge win on the road and will get better.

Dude, Marshall was the ONLY thing about our offense that was working Thursday night. He put the ball right where it needed to be about 80% of the time, the receivers just didn't hang on. There was alot that just wasn't right on offense but Nick wasn't one of them. He played a very strong game and he can't help it that his receivers weren't cooperating. I'll be the first to admit that Marshall isn't the best passer and won't ever be elite in that category but with a few notable exceptions, he's been more than solid since the A&M game last year.

Just because we had one off night doesn't mean the offense has been "figured out." Malzahn has too good of a track record both at Auburn and elsewhere to assert such a thing. I'd wait till we've had two or three of those games in a row before declaring our offense obsolete.

Dude, Marshall was the ONLY thing about our offense that was working Thursday night. He put the ball right where it needed to be about 80% of the time, the receivers just didn't hang on. There was alot that just wasn't right on offense but Nick wasn't one of them. He played a very strong game and he can't help it that his receivers weren't cooperating. I'll be the first to admit that Marshall isn't the best passer and won't ever be elite in that category but with a few notable exceptions, he's been more than solid since the A&M game last year.

Just because we had one off night doesn't mean the offense has been "figured out." Malzahn has too good of a track record both at Auburn and elsewhere to assert such a thing. I'd wait till we've had two or three of those games in a row before declaring our offense obsolete.

Completely agree with this. Only other negatives that I took were that I thought he missed a couple of reads where if he keeps it its at least a first down, and he also didn't look like he was selling his fakes very well.

Completely agree with this. Only other negatives that I took were that I thought he missed a couple of reads where if he keeps it its at least a first down, and he also didn't look like he was selling his fakes very well.

I'm not even acknowledging your first reply. I do, however, find it strange that the receivers will catch JJ's passes with much more regularity than they do NM's. I'm sure you'll pass this off as a statistical anomaly though.

I'm not even acknowledging your first reply. I do, however, find it strange that the receivers will catch JJ's passes with much more regularity than they do NM's. I'm sure you'll pass this off as a statistical anomaly though.

Look, I am one of the most critical of NM when it comes to passing, I still hold my breath when he drops back to pass. That being said it makes no sense to act like Nick is the only problem in that game when there were 6 dropped passes and 3 batted down at the line, thats 9 incompletions right there. The oline was not engaging very well in pass pro allowing the defenders to get up to bat down the passes. Does he need to be more accurate too? Yea, but to act like he was the only problem during that game is absurd

You don't want to acknowledge my first reply why? Because you're one of those that wants to say oh we had an off night and teams have figured out how to beat AU, when there has not been a consistent showing week in and week out that we can be stopped?

Also I love Tre and I def miss him, but CAP and Grant are very good. Tre couldn't have found much running room in that game. Prosch is by far the guy that we miss the most. I think its also evident that we miss Kozan as well.

Im not concerned at all,yet. AUburn won a game on the road,on a Thursday, which few sec teams do. UT went on the road against Oklahoma but for the most part, "big" ooc games are played at neutral sights. It wasn't the offensive performance we expect under the Coach Malzahn leadership, however, I have confidence that this staff will be able to adjust to what the defenses are giving them. The defense is improved. It's not Dye or tubberville level but it is improved. The lack of a pass rushing de is really a big weakness right now. If after LSU and msu the offense is tanking and the defense is being depended upon,then the worry will begin.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...

Do you ever actually watch a game? Marshall was the only consistent part of our offense thursday night. Sure he over threw a few but he put most of them right where they needed to be and 4-5 of them were dropped.

Again I ask, have you ever watched a game? If you are going to make these ridiculous statements how about doing a little research. It will help keep you from looking foolish and ignorant of the game and team. It took me less than 5 minutes to so simple research and find these numbers. Through 3 games in 2014 our rushing numbers are BETTER than they were through the first three games in 2013. Total yards is higher, carries is higher and the average per rush is HIGHER. Please explain to us how the running game hasn't resembled what we had last year, because those of us that actually watch the games see the exact opposite. Doing research will help you in the future.

2013 rushing

washington State 295 295

Arkansas State 301 301

Mississippi State 120 120

Total yards rushing through 3 games = 716 on 132 carries for a 5.42 average

2014 Rushing

Arkansas 302 302

San Jose State 358 358

Kansas State 128 128

Total yards rushing through 3 games = 788 on 143 carries for a 5.51 average

On a side note the thread should probably be titled GAME 3 because our game vs. Kansas state was our 3rd game but it was played in WEEK 4..

Auburn had their worst first half period and arguably the worst game period under Malzahn so I hope next year is on an upswing

Uh I would say LSU last year was worse. So it was the second worst, and they still won! Oregon's offense has been slowed down before but they're still putting up gaudy numbers. The offense will readjust and get rolling.

Do you ever actually watch a game? Marshall was the only consistent part of our offense thursday night. Sure he over threw a few but he put most of them right where they needed to be and 4-5 of them were dropped.

Again I ask, have you ever watched a game? If you are going to make these ridiculous statements how about doing a little research. It will help keep you from looking foolish and ignorant of the game and team. It took me less than 5 minutes to so simple research and find these numbers. Through 3 games in 2014 our rushing numbers are BETTER than they were through the first three games in 2013. Total yards is higher, carries is higher and the average per rush is HIGHER. Please explain to us how the running game hasn't resembled what we had last year, because those of us that actually watch the games see the exact opposite. Doing research will help you in the future.

2013 rushing

washington State 295 295

Arkansas State 301 301

2014 Rushing

Arkansas 302 302

San Jose State 358 358

Kansas State 128 128

On a side note the thread should probably be titled GAME 3 because our game vs. Kansas state was our 3rd game but it was played in WEEK 4..

Feel free to change the title War, thats what I meant. I meant week 3 of us playing but Game 3 is more accurate

Auburn has had their worst Offensive performances under Malzahn in week 3 against MSU last year and KSU this year

2013 game: 22 first downs, 10-18 3rd down, 459 total yards, 339 passing 10 ypp, 120 rushing 3.3 ypr, 3 Turnovers

2014 game: 22 first downs, 7-15 3rd down, 359 total yards, 245 passing 6.1 ypp, 128 rushing 2.8 ypr, 1 Turnover

As everyone knows we played LSU the next week, at least we have La Tech to work out the kinks before LSU.

Was just surprising to me that both games 3's of the past 2 seasons have been a struggling point for our offense. It is also makes me think its not going to be long before we get on that red hot streak again.

War Eagle.

it'll be nice if we let a near loss be all we need instead of a loss fire up the tremendous streak of play this year

Like last year, we just need to improve from week to week and just win!

2013 rushing

washington State 295 295

Arkansas State 301 301

2014 Rushing

Arkansas 302 302

San Jose State 358 358

Kansas State 128 128

Feel free to change the title War, thats what I meant. I meant week 3 of us playing but Game 3 is more accurate

Ok.. Done.

War Eagle.

I watched the game with a buddy, and I likened this year's K-State game to last year's MSU game, as well. The difference, however, is that it took a last minute drive and some serious heroics to pull out the W vs. State, at home, while Auburn controlled the contest this season, and against a top 20 team at their place. If we score a TD rather than a field goal to go up 24-7, the game likely ends with that as the final; it took the Wildcats rising up to the challenge to force an Auburn field goal just to remain within two touchdowns, and then when they scored the a TD to stay in it, we put the game away and finished in the victory formation.

Thus, if this is to be the parallel to last year's game against the Bulldogs, we're a good bit ahead of where we were a year ago.

Archived