I keep thinking about changing our personnel

SKIPPER_01

For the record, here are our rushing stats through three games compared to last season. And it's why I think the panic by some is overblown.

Game 1

2013 Washington State - 295 yds, 6.4 yds per carry

2014 Arkansas - 302 yds, 6.3 yds per carry

Game 2

2013 Arkansas State - 301 yds, 6.0 ypc

2014 San Jose St. - 358 yds, 7.2 ypc

Game 3

2013 Mississippi St. - 120 yds, 3.3 ypc

2014 Kansas St. - 128 ydss, 2.8 ypc

Totals through 3 games

2013 - 716 yds, 5.4 yds per carry

2014 - 888 yds, 6.2 yds per carry

The season has progressed very similar to last year, but even without Prosch, Mason and Robinson AND with an entire offseason for opponents to study our running game, we're ahead of where we were. This is why the hand-wringing and worrying about whether teams have "figured out" Gus or that future opponents will use the Kansas State game film are beyond overblown and premature. People had a blueprint to look at in Game 3 last year with Mississippi State and it didn't seem to do them any good. Step back from the ledge.

Good info. 2014 total should be 788 instead of 888 if the stats from the first 3 games are accurate. Either way more yards versus competition that is probably slightly better or at least as good as the first 3 teams we played last year - can't be too concerned with that.

As to the original post, no need for wholesale changes after 1 game in which the offense struggled. But given the struggles to consistently move the ball & put points on the board against K State AND given CGM indicating many times that JJ would play more this year, I have no idea why he wasn't given a series or two. It's not like it would have disrupted our flow; there was none.

You're right. Did that by hand and messed it up. Getting old.

So the 2014 stats would be 788 yds, 5.5 ypc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nawh... just appreciate a dissenting opinion.

It helps to reinforce the smugness of my own oft over-inflated self importance.

I can appreciate a dissenting opinion. I prefer that they be well thought out though. This call for JJ and moving NM is an emotional panic reaction not based in reality.

Oh, it'd be nice... if JJ could step wholesale into the NM role... but one only has to see the daze and confusion on his lone K'St play, to know he's not ready to fill those shoes quite yet.

(**edit** not mid-season in the SEC-West)

We all understand that there are things that need to be corrected but putting JJ in for a series or two isn't going to solve what ails us. I think we underestimated how losing GR would affect the line. Losing Kozan was another big blow. If the line play improves to the level we all think they are capable of then all this will be a moot point. How about some receivers stepping up and catching balls instead of dropping them.

We all understand that there are things that need to be corrected but putting JJ in for a series or two isn't going to solve what ails us. I think we underestimated how losing GR would affect the line. Losing Kozan was another big blow. If the line play improves to the level we all think they are capable of then all this will be a moot point. How about some receivers stepping up and catching balls instead of dropping them.

That's just the thing though...despite losing not only Robinson, Prosch and Mason but also Kozan, we're ahead of pace so far. So I'm really not worried. MSU may give us trouble again running the ball if their game vs LSU is any indication. Either way, it's not a reason to panic.

That's just the thing though...despite losing not only Robinson, Prosch and Mason but also Kozan, we're ahead of pace so far. So I'm really not worried. MSU may give us trouble again running the ball if their game vs LSU is any indication. Either way, it's not a reason to panic.

Oh no doubt. I think Gus and Rhett will get everything humming. I think his offense is something that requires a few games to get the feel for what is the best course each season.

And ^^^ one would assume ^^^ the whole package has yet to be shown.

^^^This. We were running plays AT WILL towards the end of last season.

I think Kozan was a bigger loss than GRob. Coleman has done a really good job in that LT slot.But, they are gelling. This LaTech game couldn't have come at a better time.

LSU supposedly showed everybody the "blueprint" for beating us last year. Let's face it, our 2013 O was the same 9 plays over & over & over. As it turned out, it was Auburn failing to execute. Historically the only things that beat Malzahn offenses are themselves. KState (except their special teams) played great on a night when we shot ourselves in the foot from whistle to whistle. Rhett said there were very few plays where somebody on Auburn's O didn't make a mistake. Step in the right direction for our D which I still say is a collection of phenomenal athletes playing under their ability, not being coached up.

No blueprint, just execution.

LSU supposedly showed everybody the "blueprint" for beating us last year. Let's face it, our 2013 O was the same 9 plays over & over & over. As it turned out, it was Auburn failing to execute. Historically the only things that beat Malzahn offenses are themselves. KState (except their special teams) played great on a night when we shot ourselves in the foot from whistle to whistle. Rhett said there were very few plays where somebody on Auburn's O didn't make a mistake. Step in the right direction for our D which I still say is a collection of phenomenal athletes playing under their ability, not being coached up.

No blueprint, just execution.

That is usually what it boils down to. I don't think we ran anything anybody didn't expect. They just couldn't stop it.

I can appreciate a dissenting opinion. I prefer that they be well thought out though. This call for JJ and moving NM is an emotional panic reaction not based in reality.

You guys have had an awesome Mod fight with this and I have enjoyed reading the responses. Like I said earlier in the thread, I got the answer here that I was looking for. I hope our coach's philosophy moving forward is as united as this board.They have said that Johnson will have a role.

My OP was not a panic reaction from the KState game, I don't think. It was just a thought that I was bouncing around and may or may not agree with myself.

If it is preferred that new topics be well thought out, I will add some background to where my original thoughts were coming from...the Marshall in the NFL thread. It was mentioned that Kiper projects him as a DB. And it was also mentioned ththat Cam was a prototypical QB, and Nick is not.

So that got me thinking, hypothetically, if you had to build an NFL team with our current active (last year stats don't count) roster, would an NFL program play it totally different? I was just wondering really, and no I wasnt drinking, and no I don't take message boards as seriously as some of you may.

if you had to build an nfl team with our current roster, it would be the worst team by far to ever play a down in the nfl. we are still in college and must play to beat other college teams. Gus has it under control. I think JJ is the best nfl qb we have too. just not his time yet.

You guys have had an awesome Mod fight with this and I have enjoyed reading the responses. Like I said earlier in the thread, I got the answer here that I was looking for. I hope our coach's philosophy moving forward is as united as this board.They have said that Johnson will have a role.

My OP was not a panic reaction from the KState game, I don't think. It was just a thought that I was bouncing around and may or may not agree with myself.

If it is preferred that new topics be well thought out, I will add some background to where my original thoughts were coming from...the Marshall in the NFL thread. It was mentioned that Kiper projects him as a DB. And it was also mentioned ththat Cam was a prototypical QB, and Nick is not.

So that got me thinking, hypothetically, if you had to build an NFL team with our current active (last year stats don't count) roster, would an NFL program play it totally different? I was just wondering really, and no I wasnt drinking, and no I don't take message boards as seriously as some of you may.

Well see that question was not something anyone could know u were thinking by the wording of the OP.

The OP was just trying to get this type of thread and responses I believe but left out a few other items in MHO.

I Blue helmets

2 Orange jersies

3 Orange shoes

4 orange or blue pants

5 more LB`s

Lets put NM, JJ and a RB all side by side in the backfield like Army ran 60 or 70 years ago. We snap it whoever we went to use for that play. JK. One close game should not have started this much talk.

NM is our QB this year period. JJ will get some chances and do well when he does get those chances. When O-Line, Receivers and backs are blocking our running game runs on High Test when NM is at QB. I watched the KS game no one person was at fault but we had a blocking breakdown by a different person way to many times. JJ is a better thrower but not as dynamic a runner. Part of the issue in passing game was receivers not catching balls they should have caught and part were less than perfect passes from NM. Duke catches the long pass and NM hits Sammie on one of the two long passes where he blew by his man and our passing game would have looked like gangbusters.

Archived