Week 5 (Auburn vs. La Tech) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

DC Ellis Johnson

Phillip Marshall/247Sports (via YouTube)

Ellis Johnson said overall the defense was good in win over Kansas State

Johnson says the QB was the key to stopping Kansas State

@ITATJason

Ellis Johnson: "We didn't play a clean game for an assignment standpoint."

Ellis Johnson: Kris Frost was in "right place, right time" on sacks.

Ellis Johnson defers to Malzahn re: Jermaine Whitehead. Josh Holsey will be at safety until and unless JW9 returns

@JamesCrepea

Johnson on Josh Holsey: "He didn't have but one half of a practice and one light practice" to get used to playing at safety again.

@wareagleextra

Johnson: "I thought all of our guys out back played well." Specifically mentioned Josh Holsey's game after limited practice time at safety.

Johnson on LA Tech: "They've got the ability to be very multiple...they've got a good quarterback...but they can also play power football."

@JFergusonAU

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson: "Up front played pretty well. We're still concerned" about pass rush. Got to get creative to get to QB.

@bmarcello

Johnson on reserve LB Anthony Swain: "He played 10 snaps and he needs to play more. … I really need to rotate him in more."

Johnson on soph. safety Rudy Ford: "He continues to improve drastically. He just shows up. … He still has to get consistent with his eyes."

Johnson on the DL: "I don't think any of them had a breakout game or a dominant game, but they all played well."

Johnson on converted CB Trovon Reed: "He's made steady progress. It's to the point we feel now he can play as much as the starters."

Johnson on run defense: "It's good. We're kind of the opposite of what we were last year when we struggled stopping the run."

@AUBlog

Aubun's Ellis Johnson said, at times Thursday, "We had four guys lined up in the secondary that didn't play defense at Auburn last year."

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Trovon Reed made "three big plays" against K-State. "Overall, he played really solid."

Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson: "This year we've played really good against the run…but we haven't been able to find that pass rush."

Auburn's Ellis Johnson on his defense: "We've got some young players in key roles."

@AUGoldMine

OC Rhett Lashlee

Phillip Marshall/247Sports (via YouTube)

Rhett Lashlee: "We didn't play Auburn football really at any position. ... It was not our best effort."

@JamesCrepea

Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "I thought overall he played pretty well. ... But I thought there were some throws early he had to make."

Lashlee on Marshall's clutch play: "That's why (the guys) believe in him."

Lashlee: "Even if we had execute well, it's not like we would have scored 55 points. ... (K-State) is a really good team."

Asked Lashlee about Jeremy Johnson lining up at receiver. Jokes, "What, do you guys want me to bring a playbook in here?"

@wareagleextra

OC Lashlee on NM: "There were a couple of throws early on you just have to make. The positive things was our guys made plays when needed."

Lashlee critical of offense: "Overall I wasn't pleased with anything, we didn't play well at all. … We had a lot of poorly executed plays."

Lashlee: "Good teams win when they're not at their best, and we did that."

Lashlee on concern about run game: "Everything that we saw on film is correctable. It's just not characteristic of our guys."

Lashlee on rushing issues: "Everything and anything we just were not at our best."

Lashlee on Marshall poise/clutch: "When you look at the film, he played pretty well after" some early misses.

Lashlee on QB Nick Marshall coming through in the clutch: "I just think it's something you expect."

Lashlee on WR Duke Williams: "I think Duke is the type of player we thought he'd be. We think he can get a lot better (too)."

Lashlee on WR Sammie Coates' status: "We'll take it week by week. He made it through the game, … he wasn't full speed."

Lashlee on La. Tech DC Manny Diaz: "He's familiar with us and we're familiar with him. It should be a good challenge

@AUBlog

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "He had some big-throws when we needed them... We had way too many drops"

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee : "We played hard, we just didn't play well" in win at Kansas State.

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on play at K-State: "I was disappointed because I didn't think we played Auburn football."

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee: "We didn't execute worth a crap."

Lashlee: "It was frustrating, but our guys didn't show it. They pushed through and made plays when we needed to."

@JFergusonAU

Next weeks game is now a bigger game then I thought it would be. Can we score and score BIG on them and can our defense shutout Louisiana Tech? It would be nice IF we could do both.

I had stated Coates didn't look like himself. Hope he heals soon. May be a good idea to hold him out of the La. Tech game. Get guys like Davis and CJ some receptions.

He also nailed it for the negative nancies about Nick Marshall. Way too many drops! As my coach use to say, if u touch the football you are Suppose to come down with it

I agree with that one. Not that the QB can't take any blame but you have to help your QB out sometimes and not always expect perfect passes.

Sammie didn't look like he had his burst on the deep ball. I thought Nick put it exactly where he/we wanted it. Sammie just didn't run under it like he normally would. I thought he had a shoulder issue, but honestly, I could've made that up. Regardless, we need him healthy, and we need the two of them to get on the same page, timing-wise.

He also nailed it for the negative nancies about Nick Marshall. Way too many drops! As my coach use to say, if u touch the football you are Suppose to come down with it

I agree with that one. Not that the QB can't take any blame but you have to help your QB out sometimes and not always expect perfect passes.

This is a team sport. It takes them all doing their part in unison. But...people are quick to jump on one guy. They apparently have no idea what they are looking at.

Lashlee on Marshall poise/clutch: "When you look at the film, he played pretty well after" some early misses.

I was curious about this, so I decided to do a little breakdown myself.

1-1Q-1st & 10-Complete to D. Williams for 1st down. Duke makes sliding catch.

2-1Q-2nd & 7- Incomplete to Q. Bray. Low pass, Quan attempts to slide for catch. Would have been 8 yards.

3-1Q-3rd & 7- Incomplete to S. Coates. On target, CB makes good play on curl, deflects it. Would have been 8 yards.

4-1Q-2nd & 11- Incomplete to S. Coates. Deep ball too deep by a foot. Would have been 45 yards (+whatever he runs for)

5-1Q-3rd & 11- Complete to M. Davis for 6 yards. Hits Davis in stride underneath. D makes good tackle.

6-2Q-2nd & 7- Complete to D. Williams for 1st down. Hits Duke in stride, run another yard for 7 yards total.

7-2Q-3rd & 4- Incomplete. D-Lineman not engaged is able to take a huge leap with two hands and block pass.

8-2Q-1st & 10- Interception. D-Lineman not engaged is able to take a huge leap with two hands and block pass.

**9-2Q-1st & 10- Incomplete to R. Louis.

**10-2Q-2nd & 10- Complete to S. Coates for 12 yards.

**11-2Q-2nd & 8- Complete to C. Artis-Payne for 15 yards. Screen to CAP with great blocking.

**12-2Q-2nd & 6- Incomplete to S. Coates

**13-2Q-3rd & 6- Incomplete to D. Williams. Great pass(likely TD) is dropped by Williams.

14-2Q-2nd & 7- Complete to D. Williams for a first down. 6 yard curl with 1 yard after catch.

15-2Q-1st & 10- Incomplete to D. Willams. Thrown a little behind in double coverage. Catchable. Possible Interference.

16-2Q-3rd & 4- Complete to Q. Bray for a first down. 4 yard throw, slightly off, making Bray go to ground to make the catch.

17-2Q-3rd & 7- Complete to D. Williams for a first down. 10 yard throw on target.

18-2Q-1st & 10- Complete to R. Louis for a TD. A little high 17 yard throw (under pressure). 23 Yards after catch.

19-3Q-2nd & 8- Complete to R. Louis. Six yards. A little behind Louis, forced to the ground to make catch.

20-3Q-3rd & 12- Incomplete to S. Coates. Badly overthrown deep ball. Marshall threw on the run.

21-3Q-2nd & 8- Incomplete to S. Coates. 7 yard curl on targed. Dropped by Coates.

22-3Q-3rd & 8- Complete to S. Coates. 12 yard pass on target.

23-3Q-2nd & 8- Incomplete pass. D Lineman gets one hand up while engaged.

24-3Q-3rd & 8- Complete to R. Louis. Forward pass behind LOS, dump off run for 1st down.

25-4Q-3rd & 7- Complete to D. Williams for a first down. Hits him in stride for 9 yards with 3 more after catch.

26-4Q-2nd & 7- Complete to D. Williams for a TD. Perfect toss to the back corner.

27-4Q-2nd & 14- Complete to C. Artis-Payne for a first down. Dump pass for a few yards, CAP breaks a tackle for many more.

28-4Q-2nd & 9- Incomplete to S. Coates. Bad pass thrown behind Coates

29-4Q-3rd & 9- Complete to D. Williams. Good pass to Williams on a slant for 10 yards and a couple more after the catch.

30-4Q-3rd & 7- Incomplete to C.J. Uzomah. Weird play, seemed like CJ tripped or stumbled in the end zone. Communication?

31-4Q-3rd & 9- Complete to D. Williams. Williams torched his man and Marshall tossed up a nice pass.

** The YouTube replay of the game is missing this drive.

Some thoughts:

1st Quarter - 2/5. A little off at the start. One bad pass. Slightly off on the long ball. Not sure where fault lies on the DB blocking the pass.

2nd Quarter - 7/13, INT. I'm going to say that at least 3 of these were not Nick's fault due to drops/batted balls. 2 I didn't get to see. 1 was off but catch-able.

3rd Quarter- 3/6. Another batted ball (this was the only one where being taller might have helped) and drop. 1 bad pass.

4th Quarter- 5/7. One bad pass. Another pass I'm not sure about.

In all, I saw 3 truly bad passes, with another 4-5 incompletions that we could have improved on. If we could have some of the blocked balls and drops back, we would likely the talking about how amazing of a game Nick had passing.

Also of note, on 3rd down passing:

0-5 yards to gain: 1/2

5-10 yards to gain: 6/9

10+ yards to gain: 1/2 - Though, the completion did not gain enough for the first down.

We put ourselves in some tough passing downs during the game, and I feel like we threw the ball very well on 3rd down overall.

Archived