Week 5 (Auburn vs. La Tech) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn opens up Tiger Talk by complaining some about the slower pace of the Big 12 officials at the K-State game.

Malzahn on final play: "The bottom line is we were there to win the game. We felt strong they'd bite. It was kind of the perfect defense."

Malzahn on LaTech: "What jumps out to me is they have talent on both sides of the ball. When you turn the film on they get your attention."

Malzahn on lack of Corey Grant: "They were really taking away the perimeter edge runs. It just depends each week what they're giving us."

Malzahn on warmup routine: "It's kind of one of those things where you want to touch them and tell them to get after it. I'm a routine guy."

Malzahn on Duke Williams rebounding vs. K-State: "I can probably count on 1 hand how many balls he's dropped. He's got real sticky hands."

Malzahn on new SEC Defensive PoW Josh Holsey: "He definitely earned that. He had 2 days to get himself ready, and he was phenomenal."

Malzahn on 4th-&-short runs: "I'm not that train of thought you have to get under center to gain a yard. I don't have that same philosophy."

Malzahn says using QB Jeremy Johnson as a receiver in two Wildcat plays vs. Kansas State were all part of the plan for his package.

Malzahn on lesson from win vs. KSU: "You find out a lot about your team. … I believe that will definitely help going forward."

Malzahn talks defense: "We'll do some things to try to get creative to put some pressure on the QB. You'll see our coaches have a plan."

Malzahn on LaTech's multiple defense under Manny Diaz: "They're an unusual defense. They present a lot of different challenges."

Malzahn on avoiding looking ahead to SEC play: "Which one are you going to look forward to? They're all in the top 20."

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn says Nick Marshall has that special factor to help him make a play with the game on the line

Malzahn on rankings "That's just people's opinions...right now that means absolutely nothing to me"

@ITATJason

Gus Malzahn reviewing QB Nick Marshall at K-State: "Nick found a way to make a play to help us win. He'd done that time and time again."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Roc Thomas and other freshmen: "As the year goes on, those guys will get more and more playing time."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Duke Williams after early drop: "I went up to him and said, 'We're going to keep throwing it your way.'"

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on playing eight Top 25 teams: "We play a very tough schedule, probably the toughest schedule in college football."

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn says what we all knew Thursday, Kansas State was in cover 0 on third-and-nine play

Malzahn on what needs to improve offensively: "overall execution. ... We've got to have a wake-up call."

Malzahn on Arkansas: "They're a really good team and I think people will figure that out as the year goes on."

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn on the wind: "It was really swirling. ... As the game went on, the wind got harder and harder."

Malzahn: "When you don't play your best and you can go on the road and beat a top-20 team, I think that's a positive."

Malzahn on the punt coverage team: "We knew 16 (Tyler Lockett) was a dynamic player with the ball in his hands."

Malzahn on Jermaine Whitehead's status: "Nothing's changed at this point."

@wareagleextra

Gus Malzahn on Louisiana Tech: "We're not overlooking them, I promise you that."

Gus Malzahn on that Kansas State team Auburn beat: "Their run fits were extremely good, especially early in the game."

Hey, would you stay in Shotgun on 4th-and-inches like ... Clemson? Gus Malzahn says he'd probably stay in Shotgun b/c it's what AU does.

@bmarcello

tired of hearing about potential or "what if" Having Duke AND Sammie both having "sticky" hands would help ALOT...I know that day will come and I am feining for that day...C'mon Nick...C'mon WR's

Malzahn on lack of Corey Grant: "They were really taking away the perimeter edge runs. It just depends each week what they're giving us."

KState taking away the perimeter was shocking & unexpected IMO. Kudos to them but it has me thinking about the half dozen teams we'll play that do that MUCH better than KState. I think our WRs as a group had a poor blocking game and that can be the difference.

You'll definitely see some teams try to do with KState did. I think they had a great defensive effort. I don't think you'll see as many teams do what they did successfully. They played a lot of cover-0 and single safety high, which made them susceptible to big plays on the back end. If people want to do that moving forward, I suspect we'll have a lot more success in the deep middle of the field, down the seams of the defense, and probably over the top. We have the personnel to exploit it. I just think the hyper-aggressive defensive strategy caught us off guard a bit. It won't be shock next time.

On top of that, they had an almost perfect game in terms of run fits and making space tackles. No one will do better than they did. Even with better personnel, you can't really do better than what KState just did. Teams will try to mimic it. I don't think it will be particularly successful. That was great strategy for one game, but it wouldn't be wise for a season.

I doubt we face another team as disciplined as the KSU defense played.

And we won't play another team having the luxury of a spring practice, a full summer, and 3 weeks of the football season to prepare for us.

KSU may have played poorly against Iowa State but it wasn't because of Iowa State.

tired of hearing about potential or "what if" Having Duke AND Sammie both having "sticky" hands would help ALOT...I know that day will come and I am feining for that day...C'mon Nick...C'mon WR's

Sammie has dropped a couple of passes this year but he has been hampered by an injury...hopefully he is 100% this Saturday and can put up huge numbers

Sammie has dropped a couple of passes this year but he has been hampered by an injury...hopefully he is 100% this Saturday and can put up huge numbers

it's expected that he will do it agaisnt Louisiana Tech, I wanna see him do it on LSU

Archived