Whitehead ...

RunInRed

From another player on the team...this wasn't the 1st issue and had a lot to do with an change in attitude since going greek. Senior Defensive players had a heart to heart with him which may have helped sway his way of thinking back to football.

going greek?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From another player on the team...this wasn't the 1st issue and had a lot to do with an change in attitude since going greek. Senior Defensive players had a heart to heart with him which may have helped sway his way of thinking back to football.

going greek?

yes, as in Fraternity.

going greek?

Switching from burritos to gyros will do that to a person.

From the harsh stance that Gus is taking, I am imagining the argument was in regards to something that would affect the attitude of the whole team, perhaps something that would be divisive. Of course, that is only a guess. I don't have any knowledge, nor do I need to. I applaud Gus for wanting to make a better man out of Whitehead and not letting him slide for the sake of the game(s).

I tend to agree with this.

How many of you believe Jermaine will play for Auburn this year.

I do jmo

50/50

:laugh::thumbsup:

He is back by LSU. He allegedly straighten things out with the other party/parties

going greek?

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm a little surprised so many seem unfamiliar with the term.

going greek?

Not unfamiliar with the term, just surprised to see it in this context. I didn't think athletes had time for fraternities.

going greek?

Not unfamiliar with the term, just surprised to see it in this context. I didn't think athletes had time for fraternities.

I think a lot of fraternities- like a lot of folks in a lot of walks of life- will relax their requirements, hazing activities, etc. for a big time football player.

If he joined a frat spring of his junior year, that's the best example of bad decision-making I've ever seen from Jermaine Whitehead. That's just an incredible waste of time.

If he joined a frat spring of his junior year, that's the best example of bad decision-making I've ever seen from Jermaine Whitehead. That's just an incredible waste of time.

One could say that but its not necessarily a waste of HIS time. When I was at Auburn we had several guys in our fraternity that were football players. Its only a waste of time if you let it be. Otherwise, it may be something he'd been thinking about and he had an opportunity and decided it was right for him at this stage of his life. With practice, team meetings and eating with the team mates, I seriously doubt he's involved in any frat activities during this time of the year.

I have no problem with guys joining frats. I think it's stupid to join spring of your junior year when you have NFL aspirations. In other words, you're joining for the summer, the fall (when you play football every Saturday) and the following spring (when you'll be preparing for the senior bowl, combine, pro day, etc.). Given the timing, it's dumb.

I have to say that my fraternity experience was very different than all the negatives boasted... I went to Auburn when the average Apartment cost was $450-500/mo for the cheapest dirt bag one you could find.

My fraternity dues of $500/mo got me 10 meals a week (lunch/dinner) M-F, room and board, internet (we were able to get it right after high speed was on campus), and some functions. We were a smaller fraternity but I can honestly say I also made some of the best friends of my life thus far. The meals, etc, saved me so much time not having to worry about food, etc during the week as my Dad gave me the best piece of advice of "Treat school like your job; 8-5 nothing will be going on that you'll really miss out on. Hit the books and study, and if you do, you'll be able to play worry free"

I was just in Orange Beach this summer having a mini-reunion with 2 of them.... I understand those that didn't want to join one because I almost didn't, but each one is different. I didn't come from trust fund and worked for what I earned as well. I had several jobs while at Auburn including working graveyard at Foy! (Which I loved by the way, so many stories)

Just my .02

I have no problem with guys joining frats. I think it's stupid to join spring of your junior year when you have NFL aspirations. In other words, you're joining for the summer, the fall (when you play football every Saturday) and the following spring (when you'll be preparing for the senior bowl, combine, pro day, etc.). Given the timing, it's dumb.

A guy like Whitehead could be brought into a frat as a figurehead. I guarantee you it isn't taking up nearly as much of his time as it is his fraternity brothers. Also, a lot of the guys do things other than football- even juniors and seniors with NFL potential. I think maybe you're limiting your view on this.

A guy like Whitehead could be brought into a frat as a figurehead. I guarantee you it isn't taking up nearly as much of his time as it is his fraternity brothers. Also, a lot of the guys do things other than football- even juniors and seniors with NFL potential. I think maybe you're limiting your view on this.

No, not Mcguf!! Never.

Back to something else; Anyone else wonder how Jabo can't afford soda and crab legs, but he has a $1000 gold chain? I know how he got it, of course, but after everything else it wouldn't shock me if FSU got in trouble because of Jabo after he leaves. If I was his teammate, we would have a come to Jesus meeting...

Dixie, what the hell does that have to do with Jermaine Whitehead?

As for the frat thing, God bless him. It just strikes me as mildly ridiculous to join a "brotherhood" for one year. That's how long he'll be a member. And he isn't joining for a break on room and board. He gets those things free from the athletic department.

What are you basing this statement on? Yes, he is a member of my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi. To think that he membership in our fraternity is a deterent from him acheiving his dream of playing in the NFL is ludacris. I can not speak on NPC greeks but to be a emmber of a NPHC is a life long commitment, not just a college venture for partying. My success in my career is directly correlated with my involvement in the frat. Our very own dontarrius thomas came from the same chapter. So please refrain from making ignorant statements on things you do not know.

What are you basing this statement on? Yes, he is a member of my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi. To think that he membership in our fraternity is a deterent from him acheiving his dream of playing in the NFL is ludacris. I can not speak on NPC greeks but to be a emmber of a NPHC is a life long commitment, not just a college venture for partying. My success in my career is directly correlated with my involvement in the frat. Our very own dontarrius thomas came from the same chapter. So please refrain from making ignorant statements on things you do not know.

If everybody were to do this then the forum would be a ghost town....

As for the frat thing, God bless him. It just strikes me as mildly ridiculous to join a "brotherhood" for one year. That's how long he'll be a member. And he isn't joining for a break on room and board. He gets those things free from the athletic department.

Whithead had dedicated himself his first several years at AU to both his studies and to the Football team. He is a very smart kid and has graduated. He is now in Grad school. He probably thought with taking less hours in grad school, he may have more time and he wanted to enjoy being a part of a Frat too.

There is no tellng why he chose to join when he did; but I have no problems with it.

Cam joined our AU "brotherhood" for one year. Does that make it any less important?

I was in MIS classes with DT. Awesome guy - and very smart! He and I were about the same height but he was obviuously a lot bigger. I always joked with him it looked funny sitting next to a guy his size writing programs on our lab computers!

I totally agree; people can be very ignorant of what goes on because of all the movies....

Archived