Whitehead ...

RunInRed

If he joined a frat spring of his junior year, that's the best example of bad decision-making I've ever seen from Jermaine Whitehead. That's just an incredible waste of time.

What are you basing this statement on? Yes, he is a member of my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi. To think that he membership in our fraternity is a deterent from him acheiving his dream of playing in the NFL is ludacris. I can not speak on NPC greeks but to be a emmber of a NPHC is a life long commitment, not just a college venture for partying. My success in my career is directly correlated with my involvement in the frat. Our very own dontarrius thomas came from the same chapter. So please refrain from making ignorant statements on things you do not know.

If everybody were to do this then the forum would be a ghost town....

:bow:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am ignorant on frats. i figured that is what going greek meant. i did not realize it could cause a senior with the reputation that jermaine has carried to become disrespectful to coaches. that might be the part someone could explain?

If he joined a frat spring of his junior year, that's the best example of bad decision-making I've ever seen from Jermaine Whitehead. That's just an incredible waste of time.

What are you basing this statement on? Yes, he is a member of my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi. To think that he membership in our fraternity is a deterent from him acheiving his dream of playing in the NFL is ludacris. I can not speak on NPC greeks but to be a emmber of a NPHC is a life long commitment, not just a college venture for partying. My success in my career is directly correlated with my involvement in the frat. Our very own dontarrius thomas came from the same chapter. So please refrain from making ignorant statements on things you do not know.

Thanks for chiming in, KallMeTank. WDE, hope you post more often. I can vouch that you know when a bunch of Kappas around. You dudes are vocal and serious about your brotherhood. It's really cool IMO.

mcguf, the whole point of a fraternity is to form a lifelong bond with your brothers. Jermaine might be a little later than others in getting on the bus... so what? It's none of our business. You're clearly not informed enough on this to use words like "ridiculous", "dumb" and "stupid", especially not in reference to something so innocuous and normal, and not in reference to a guy who has given a lot for Auburn. It comes across as agenda-driven, among other things.

Trolling

i am ignorant on frats. i figured that is what going greek meant. i did not realize it could cause a senior with the reputation that jermaine has carried to become disrespectful to coaches. that might be the part someone could explain?

No matter who you are, certain people are always going to think you "change" after joining a fraternity or sorority. It just comes with territory. As far as saying this is what caused him to be disrespectful to the coaches, people are just looking for a reason. I have talked to him personally and that is not why the altercation occured. I will not speak on it but it for certain had nothing to do with him being "greek".

Holsey looked great, but our secondary is better with Whitehead in the mix. Mincy can't play every snap.

Having whitehead helps, but it does not make it better, holsey is just as good or better at safety. He's faster and more physical and tackles better. Hopefully whitehead learned his lesson because we do need more depth on d

If somebody said this when Marshall was suspended but made it Nick Marshall was suspended and Jeremy Johnson was just as good you'd go crazy and talk about it for at least a month

I knew DT in school as well. Really nice guy. If we want to get into pissing contests about who knew Auburn players, I was in Bible study with Ben Obomanu as well. I met Jason Campbell in high school and kept up since we are both from Mississippi. If we're talking about fraternity involvement, I knew a BUNCH of guys that were in NPHC greeks. Don't assume that I don't know something just because I don't share your opinion.

You may be connected for life, but it's indisputable that model for all greek organizations that the initial bond is based on your college involvement in the organization. That's why they were founded on college campuses and continue to operate as collegiate organizations. I would think it's equally indisputable that spending one year as opposed to four years would lessen your connection to such an organization.

I'll rephrase, it strikes me as odd that a guy (who has been on campus and, likely, knew the guys in this fraternity for quite some time... so this isn't Cam starting at Auburn as junior) would wait that long to join then suddenly think "I've got to get into the fraternity." It strikes me as either odd, wasteful, or mutually manipulative (meaning, they want him to say they have Auburn players and he wants them for the post-graduate connections). Personally, it feels like one of those three.

Holsey looked great, but our secondary is better with Whitehead in the mix. Mincy can't play every snap.

Having whitehead helps, but it does not make it better, holsey is just as good or better at safety. He's faster and more physical and tackles better. Hopefully whitehead learned his lesson because we do need more depth on d

If somebody said this when Marshall was suspended but made it Nick Marshall was suspended and Jeremy Johnson was just as good you'd go crazy and talk about it for at least a month

Yeah, good thing that didn't happen. :poke:

I'm glad you got to it before I did, Nupe!

I'll rephrase, it strikes me as odd that a guy (who has been on campus and, likely, knew the guys in this fraternity for quite some time... so this isn't Cam starting at Auburn as junior) would wait that long to join then suddenly think "I've got to get into the fraternity." It strikes me as either odd, wasteful, or mutually manipulative (meaning, they want him to say they have Auburn players and he wants them for the post-graduate connections). Personally, it feels like one of those three.

I'm not sure how it is at Auburn, but at some schools in order to join our frat there are many requirements which is standard, but also classification requirements. I could not pledge until my Sophomore year. Additionally, we don't have intake by the 100s and bring in just anyone each semester. Typically at a school there may only be a Fall or Spring intake. It just depends. So guess what that means? Someone might only really have 3 chances if your school only allows you to join the frat during or after your Sophomore year. I'd like you to gain some knowledge before speaking down on his "odd, wasteful, or mutually manipulative" decisions to join. One which, might I add, does not 'need' to have ANY college athlete for popularity purposes. Not to mention that yes, Kappa Alpha Psi has GREAT connections so if he wanted to join before he graduated and that just so happens to be a benefit, good for him.

Dixie, what the hell does that have to do with Jermaine Whitehead?

As for the frat thing, God bless him. It just strikes me as mildly ridiculous to join a "brotherhood" for one year. That's how long he'll be a member. And he isn't joining for a break on room and board. He gets those things free from the athletic department.

awright...

Can you expand on why you think him joining a frat is bad. I don't get it. Are you familiar with frats? Were you in one? I didn't join one till my second year but was involved my first. The bonds I made prior to joining turned out to be the difference. Even if just a year or 2 can be important. Even if it was as superficial as joining for 1 year of parties ... Who's to say it isn't worth it for him.

I knew DT in school as well. Really nice guy. If we want to get into pissing contests about who knew Auburn players, I was in Bible study with Ben Obomanu as well. I met Jason Campbell in high school and kept up since we are both from Mississippi. If we're talking about fraternity involvement, I knew a BUNCH of guys that were in NPHC greeks. Don't assume that I don't know something just because I don't share your opinion.

You may be connected for life, but it's indisputable that model for all greek organizations that the initial bond is based on your college involvement in the organization. That's why they were founded on college campuses and continue to operate as collegiate organizations. I would think it's equally indisputable that spending one year as opposed to four years would lessen your connection to such an organization.

Wow! There's a lot of useless thinking going on in that post. I guess JW should have checked with you before making that decision, huh?

I have no problem with guys joining frats. I think it's stupid to join spring of your junior year when you have NFL aspirations. In other words, you're joining for the summer, the fall (when you play football every Saturday) and the following spring (when you'll be preparing for the senior bowl, combine, pro day, etc.). Given the timing, it's dumb.

A guy like Whitehead could be brought into a frat as a figurehead. I guarantee you it isn't taking up nearly as much of his time as it is his fraternity brothers. Also, a lot of the guys do things other than football- even juniors and seniors with NFL potential. I think maybe you're limiting your view on this.

Yes, some standards may be a little lighter for them considering their schedule but they do put in a good amount of pledging. They just can't pay and get in. Member of Omega Psi Phi.

x2.

It's not that uncommon in black frats or sororities to join during your junior or senior year. Not uncommon at all. It runs MUCH deeper than just wearing frat colors, having parties, having connections and wearing paraphernalia.

For the record, I never said it was bad. I said it was odd for a guy (any guy) to pledge a fraternity (any fraternity) with two semesters remaining in school. Good, bad, indifferent. It's either odd, a waste, or mutually manipulative.

Let's assume it's the post-grad connections, for example. As WE1983 said, if that's what he wanted, good for him. He's going to get what the benefit of the connections. That's not really the point of a fraternity (PHC or NPHC), but he's certainly within his rights. But that's a manipulation of the system. He's jumping in at the end of his college career for the benefit of the post-grad opportunities afforded to members of a collegiate organization. That is a manipulation. Is it within his rights? Yep. Might it be a good idea? Sure. It could be very beneficial (or useless, only time will tell). But it's definitely manipulative.

So I'll stand by what I said, personally, joining a fraternity with two semesters remaining in college strikes me as odd, a waste of time, or a manipulative move.

I should say, I came on way to strong in my first post referring to Jermaine's pledging. That was an overstated "hot take." The rest, not so much. I'll stand by what's above, but my first post, that was typing before thinking. It's not bad decision-making to join with two semester remaining. It's just decision-making that isn't based on the purpose of the organization. It would be like a soon-to-retire attorney joining the bar association before he left practice. He'll forever be a member, and there may be benefits for him (and frankly for the organization if he's successful). It's just not really the purpose or design of the association.

My apologies if I offended by saying his decision was bad. It wasn't bad or good. It's just a decision. Personally, as I said, it strikes me as odd (since he's not going to spend a lot of time within the frat and he's very unlikely to need/go through the kinds of self-discovery that younger pledges go through) or manipulative (covered above) or a waste of time (if he doesn't need the connections, doesn't need the frat to help him "grow up", doesn't need to join to get into parties... I never did... and won't spend as much time with them... although his schedule has cleared up a bit).

For the record, I never said it was bad. I said it was odd for a guy (any guy) to pledge a fraternity (any fraternity) with two semesters remaining in school. Good, bad, indifferent. It's either odd, a waste, or mutually manipulative.

Let's assume it's the post-grad connections, for example. As WE1983 said, if that's what he wanted, good for him. He's going to get what the benefit of the connections. That's not really the point of a fraternity (PHC or NPHC), but he's certainly within his rights. But that's a manipulation of the system. He's jumping in at the end of his college career for the benefit of the post-grad opportunities afforded to members of a collegiate organization. That is a manipulation. Is it within his rights? Yep. Might it be a good idea? Sure. It could be very beneficial (or useless, only time will tell). But it's definitely manipulative.

So I'll stand by what I said, personally, joining a fraternity with two semesters remaining in college strikes me as odd, a waste of time, or a manipulative move.

I didn't say that was his sole purpose. That's what some are assuming. It's just one of a number of reasons to join. I'm in a frat but I've rarely had to use those connections from an employment aspect. IMO it's not as huge of a factor for joining as it use to be years ago but certainly one of many reasons to join. We don't know why he choose to join a frat. Men in his family could be members of Kappa Alpha Psi or he could have a male mentor who is a member or he'd like to establish a legacy in addition to football for his future son(s).

There are a lot of reasons as to why he could have joined. So I think what many are getting at is that fact that we don't know his reasons so it's pretty harsh to say it is dumb..odd...a waste etc. It may be in your opinion it is a waste and just for show on the frats part but to those that have been apart of the process and understand the LONG history of the frat it's far from a waste. He decided when it was best for him to pledge.

As KallMeTank explained in order to join Kappa Alpha Psi or any other black frat there are a number of requirements dealing with the amount of semester hours you must earn along with a specific GPA. Community service and recommendation letters..etc. Some young men come into college knowing off the bat they will pledge and once they have completed those requirements they pledge.

Maybe JW felt it was best to learn about each frat he may have been interested in, meet those requirements but at the same time making sure he was established as a football player first. Since he has done that to a large degree he could put more focus and effort into other aspirations...joining a frat. I just think it is unfair to dismiss what appears to be something very important to him without understanding the process and the history behind an organization that he has choosen to join. His actions had to do with JW not playing not a frat.

Dude said it was bad decision making and an incredible waste of time to join a fraternity and he has absolutely no insight of the fraternity, the process, whitehead's feelings, or whitehead's aspirations whatsoever. Why would you waste time debating him? Do you really think dude is going to make any sense or have any insight? I mean why should whitehead even feel like he's in college anymore once he was a junior right? Apparently he stopped being a student as a sophomore, he can't pick up any other interests

Just bringing some insight b/c certainly looks like there is a lack of knowledge in knowing the process and trying to understand why JW made the decision he did as i've been through it.

I should say, I came on way to strong in my first post referring to Jermaine's pledging. That was an overstated "hot take." The rest, not so much. I'll stand by what's above, but my first post, that was typing before thinking. It's not bad decision-making to join with two semester remaining. It's just decision-making that isn't based on the purpose of the organization. It would be like a soon-to-retire attorney joining the bar association before he left practice. He'll forever be a member, and there may be benefits for him (and frankly for the organization if he's successful). It's just not really the purpose or design of the association.

My apologies if I offended by saying his decision was bad. It wasn't bad or good. It's just a decision. Personally, as I said, it strikes me as odd (since he's not going to spend a lot of time within the frat and he's very unlikely to need/go through the kinds of self-discovery that younger pledges go through) or manipulative (covered above) or a waste of time (if he doesn't need the connections, doesn't need the frat to help him "grow up", doesn't need to join to get into parties... I never did... and won't spend as much time with them... although his schedule has cleared up a bit).

So you're saying a person who joins with 2 semesters left is unable to fulfill the purpose of the organization? That's interesting...it's false but interesting. You can also pledge in graduate school. It's not a lot of people who do but you can. IMO the reason why you have the opinion you do is b/c you're solely basing joining a frat being in connection with: having connections and parties. It's SO much more in general and esp. the history of black frats and sororities.

Just bringing some insight b/c certainly looks like there is a lack on knowledge in knowing the process and trying to understand why JW made the decision he did as i've been through it.

Happy that you and KallMeTank are bringing that insight.

I'll never understand the need to judge players for their personal decisions when there is no other person or entity victimized by those decisions.

How has this derailed from when his suspension is up to whether or not it's smart he joined a fraternity? And from there to fraternities being on trial? Multitude of people on here are probably Greek and simply haven't felt the necessity to say anything. Two cents. Now I'm gonna be done with this thread and hopefully someone can start a new one when actual news relating to Whitehead changes.

Archived