Dillon Day (MSU center) suspended for A&M game

BigSammyK

http://www.cbssports...r-texas-am-game

The SEC announced a suspension for Day on Tuesday, which will keep him out of the lineup for the Bulldogs next game. Unfortunately for Dan Mullen the Mississippi State offense, that means Day is sidelined for a home game against Texas A&M on Oct. 4.

I have a feeling that MSU is going to need to score and score often to keep up with A&M's offense and this may really hurt them. They pulled him late vs LSU to give the backup reps and I believe he came in and immediately botched two snaps, one that ended with a turnover.

From the link:

Day started 12 of 13 games at center for Mississippi State in 2013, only missing a start in the Troy game because he had stomped on an Auburn player the week before.

In his apology letter to Mississippi State fans, Day said he was "wronfully accused of intentionally stomping on player," citing hustle and the inability to slow down his 300-pound frame as reasons for the missteps.

Having already missed a game for similar disciplinary reasons last year, seems to me a second offense deserves much more than just another single game off.

As for his "apology" (although I've never heard of a denial being referred to as an "apology"), on the included clip I might give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to the second time on #21. But to call the first stomp on #57 anything but intentional and brutal is ridiculous! His left foot clearly accelerates as it is thrust violently downward.

Jerk. I hope someone flattens his ass when he does come back. I'm all for hitting and hitting hard but not on cheap shots like these.

He cited hustle and the fact that he weighs 300 lbs? Ha! I don't see the other 300 pounders (and there's quite a few out there nowadays) having that trouble but then again maybe the laws of physics work differently just for him and him alone. Idiot.

This guy is a low character piece of crap, and his letter of denial further proves it. Should have gotten 5 games minimum; but if he had a head coach with any integrity the SEC wouldnt have had to make any decision.

So sick of the Fairley card. Childish. Nothing he did comes remotely close to this curb stomping idiot's antics. Perhaps this is why Fairley was never suspended and the starkville stomper is on round two?

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 10m

DanMullen said he "didn't see anything wrong" w/ Dillon Day's conduct vs LSU: "We completely disagree w/ the ruling." http://www.clarionle...24947/ …

not surprised in the least.

Why would Mullen see anything wrong with stomping players? He obviously is a mentor with excellent judgment. How many coaches can say their mentoring helped produce a murderer? Hes obviously very good at enabling thugs to develop into criminals.

So sick of the Fairley card. Childish. Nothing he did comes remotely close to this curb stomping idiot's antics. Perhaps this is why Fairley was never suspended and the starkville stomper is on round two?

So sick of hypocritical fans who defend people's actions just because they played for their favorite team.

So sick of hypocritical fans who defend people's actions just because they played for their favorite team.

If you are referring to me can you please refute one thing in my statement you just quoted.

If you are referring to me can you please refute one thing in my statement you just quoted.

What's there to refute? You're trying to make a strawman argument with saying one guy's actions are worse than the other when both were bad.

Both Nick Fairley and Dillon Day are dirty players. I doubt that if an MSU player or anyone else in the SEC did what Fairley did during the UGA game in 2010 that people here or anywhere else wouldn't call that player dirty.

I think the MSU fans make a valid point about the SEC being inconsistent. I don't like what Day did but the SEC needs to show some consistency in how they punish players. I think Dillon Day should only be suspended for the 1st half of their Texas A&M game.

What's there to refute? You're trying to make a strawman argument with saying one guy's actions are worse than the other when both were bad.

Both Nick Fairley and Dillon Day are dirty players. I doubt that if an MSU player or anyone else in the SEC did what Fairley did during the UGA game in 2010 that people here or anywhere else wouldn't call that player dirty.

I think the MSU fans make a valid point about the SEC being inconsistent. I don't like what Day did but the SEC needs to show some consistency in how they punish players. I think Dillon Day should only be suspended for the 1st half of their Texas A&M game.

Good grief...

Mmmmmmmkay Beevis. The term "dirty" is extremely relative and you are using it loosely. Nick Fairley had a few personal fouls called on him and none were blatantly dirty, resulting in an ejection. He never stomped on a defenseless player that I am aware of. He played more mean than dirty. He liked to punish QB's when he could. A couple times he got too revved up and had slightly late hits.

You call it "inconsistency" by the SEC? *snicker* I call it common frickin sense.

Good grief...

Yep. Every fanbase has them.

Mmmmmmmkay Beevis. The term "dirty" is extremely relative and you are losing it loosely. Nick Fairley had a few personal fouls called on him and none were blatantly dirty, resulting in an ejection. He never stomped on a defenseless player that I am aware of. He played more mean than dirty. He liked to punish QB's when he could. A couple times he got too revved up and had slightly late hits.

Blatant is a relative term also. What Fairley did was blatant. Using his helmet as a weapon on Aaron Murray like Fairley did is better than stepping on a player I guess....... If you say so.

Dillion Day didn't get a personal foul for those two "blatant" dirty plays. The SEC decided after the game to review it and then they decided to suspend him for a game. Hopefully the SEC will clarify what "blatant and unsportsmanlike conduct" is. Since they're going to police those types of things they need to set some guidlines on it so they can be consistent with their rulings. The SEC didn't suspend Fairley. They also didn't suspend Alabama's Quinton Dial for his cheap shot helmet-to-helmet hit on Aaron Murray in the 2012 SEC Championship Game.

Thanks for updating me on the commson sense rules man.

I just YouTube'd the Nick Fairley hits on Aaron Murray to refresh my memory. It was definitely dirty. Things change. Gone are the days of trying to injure players and expecting it to be accepted. I loved Fairly though but sometimes I cringed when he went too far. We needed him to stay in the game and it looked like he was one late hit away from being ejected.

But whatcha gonna do? You can't keep letting players get away with these cheap shots and you can't base all future decisions on decisions made 4 years ago. As we all know College football is moving toward protecting the players more and I think it's a good move as long as it doesn't get out of hand with too much player safety. Example....Nick Sabans try at slowing down the game.

Bottom line.... I'm glad he got the 1 game suspension.

Day is a piece of crap. He was also flagged for one of the most blatant late hits I've ever seen. MSU was on like the 2 yard line so what would've been a 15-yard penalty only resulted in about a one yard penalty (I think the rules may need to be altered on issues like that; there's hardly a disincentive for players to take cheap shots in that case). Anyway, looking forward to Day getting his.

My current opinion is no team in years has received as much overblown mileage from one win as Texas A&M's 24 point win at South Carolina. This is the same odd annual media assumption that the SEC is the SEC without regard to West or East and I look for Miss St to give A&M more than a ride for their money, with the stomping doughboy or not.

Archived