Dillon Day (MSU center) suspended for A&M game

BigSammyK

My current opinion is no team in years has received as much overblown mileage from one win as Texas A&M's 24 point win at South Carolina. This is the same odd annual media assumption that the SEC is the SEC without regard to West or East and I look for Miss St to give A&M more than a ride for their money, with the stomping doughboy or not.

they have the personnel to be very good on offense. Defense is pretty good too.

Mmmmmmmkay Beevis. The term "dirty" is extremely relative and you are losing it loosely. Nick Fairley had a few personal fouls called on him and none were blatantly dirty, resulting in an ejection. He never stomped on a defenseless player that I am aware of. He played more mean than dirty. He liked to punish QB's when he could. A couple times he got too revved up and had slightly late hits.

Blatant is a relative term also. What Fairley did was blatant. Using his helmet as a weapon on Aaron Murray like Fairley did is better than stepping on a player I guess....... If you say so.

Dillion Day didn't get a personal foul for those two "blatant" dirty plays. The SEC decided after the game to review it and then they decided to suspend him for a game. Hopefully the SEC will clarify what "blatant and unsportsmanlike conduct" is. Since they're going to police those types of things they need to set some guidlines on it so they can be consistent with their rulings. The SEC didn't suspend Fairley. They also didn't suspend Alabama's Quinton Dial for his cheap shot helmet-to-helmet hit on Aaron Murray in the 2012 SEC Championship Game.

Thanks for updating me on the commson sense rules man.

You're welcome, dude. Penalties are missed all the time in games. That's why they have reviews. Day is a master of stomping as he showed against LSU. He knows how to disguise it.

I'm not saying Fairley did nothing wrong, but it is obvious to most that it doesn't approach the level of what Day did, nor the frequency.

So wave your "save dillion day" banner if you must. It is amusing to see.

I hate to see Auburn fans argue with each other, especially when it is about something a player on ANOTHER team did. Just agree to disagree.

I love Auburn as much as the rest of you, but even I know Fairley had some dirty hits. To be a dominate defensive tackle in the SEC, you have to be mean, and that means sometimes you hit late, or take a cheap shot or two. That is how you intimidate opposing QB's, because on the next play, the QB will be looking to get the ball out of his hand a few seconds sooner, or look to throw it out of bounds instead of running for a first down. This is big boy football, and stuff like this happens.

Now, what Dillion Day did on Saturday takes it to a different level, IMHO. Day was looking to injure players intentionally. These weren't late hits on the QB. These were intentional stomps onto players stomachs and groins. These were designed to incapacitate players for a few plays, or possibly even the game. Think I'm wrong, go let a 300 pound man stomp you in the stomach. Even with the padding these guys wear, this could cause major damage. Even worse when it is the groin area. Dillion Day knows this, because he's done it before. I give credit to Les Miles for not sending in a few 3rd stringers to go after Day's knees, because I would have had a hard time not doing that. Dillon Day deserves a multi-game suspension for this actions on Saturday, but when your head coach goes in front of the media and says "I see nothing wrong with what he did", you know this kid is not getting the discipline he needs. He'll keep doing this every chance he gets. For anyone defending his actions, put yourself in the shoes of the parent of one the LSU players that got stomped on. How would you feel seeing your son writhing on the ground, in pain, because of this POS???

Dan Mullen is a weak-ass, win at all costs coach, and that will be his downfall. I wonder when his "chest pains" are going to start, so that he has to leave the game of football, like his daddy Urban Meyer???

Day blatantly stomped the guy in the stomach. Fairley never did anything that dirty that I ever saw.

I think you're looking at it with orange and blue glasses on.

I wouldn't call Day's action "blatant" or a "stomp." He didn't set out to land on the guy's stomach, but he put himself in a poor position and did little to avoid stepping on the LSU defender.

Fairley pushed the limits in 2010 (as another poster said, he played "mean" more than "dirty"), and given the rule changes and increased attention to player safety in the last few years, what he did then would probably be considered crossing the line today. If he had done what he did in the UGA game wearing a red jersey, most of the people here would sound a lot like the Georgia fans do now.

Day blatantly stomped the guy in the stomach. Fairley never did anything that dirty that I ever saw.

I wouldn't call Day's action "blatant" or a "stomp." He didn't set out to land on the guy's stomach, but he put himself in a poor position and did little to avoid stepping on the LSU defender.

Fairley pushed the limits in 2010 (as another poster said, he played "mean" more than "dirty"), and given the rule changes and increased attention to player safety in the last few years, what he did then would probably be considered crossing the line today. If he had done what he did in the UGA game wearing a red jersey, most of the people here would sound a lot like the Georgia fans do now.

Oh contraire. He deliberately did that, no question about it. If there is one thing I hate it is moral equivalency in an aspect of life.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 10m

DanMullen said he "didn't see anything wrong" w/ Dillon Day's conduct vs LSU: "We completely disagree w/ the ruling." http://www.clarionle...24947/ …

not surprised in the least.

Why would Mullen see anything wrong with stomping players? He obviously is a mentor with excellent judgment. How many coaches can say their mentoring helped produce a murderer? Hes obviously very good at enabling thugs to develop into criminals.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I'm no fan of Mullen but to link him in any way to what Hernandez did is crazy. By those standards, Gus would be held accountable for McNeil, Mosley, Kitchens, and Goodwin as he was the OC just like Mullen was when AH was in school. Derrick Graves is in jail for rape, should Tuberville be blamed? C'mon man.

Oh contraire. He deliberately did that, no question about it. If there is one thing I hate it is moral equivalency in an aspect of life.

Glad you can read minds. I bet that comes in handy at times.

One major difference between Fairley and Day is that one guy's "dirty" hit took place during the play. The other guy has three documented instances of stepping on players after the whistle. Deadball misbehavior has always been punished with a heavier hand. In my opinion, Nick has one dirty play that season, the spearing in Murray's back. That had nothing to do with the action, and if he'd been suspended for a half, it would've been warranted. The rest of the so-called "dirty" play has to do with him hitting harder than other players. I don't care about that, and it's not comparable to intentionally stepping on or kicking defenders post-whistle.

Tough for MSU though. Losing your center in a very, very big game. That can sink an offense in a hurry. They didn't need a degree of difficulty against A&M. Just getting a win was going to be hard enough.

This boy has issues. i saw the personal foul on State's two yard line, thinking what in the hell is he doing. It occured after the ballcarrier was down and away from it. Only later to read of the stomping incidents. And of the one last year.

Fairley's late hit on Murray occured as retribution by Nick to earlier chop blocks on his knees by the Georgia O line. Now an eye for an eye is hardly good sportsmanship but there was no illegal attempt to injure Day before any of his stomps on guys laying on the ground in multiple games. It also strains credibility to believe the Miss State coaches are "shocked...shocked" either at Day's repeated antics or that the SEC would come down on that sort of activity.

You guys are better than me. If I was a DC, I would pick one LB or DL every game and have him take a penalty early in the game on a late, but clean hit on the QB to send a message. ;D

JMO but if Mullen had any sense of what's going on in the world of big time football he would have kept his mouth shut and moved on.

Leagues at all levels are going to get tougher on what appears to be deliberately dirty plays (and players) and this was not the first time for this guy.

The day of criminal charges for plays like this are not far in the future when a player suffers serious or permanent injury from on the field thuggery.

JMO but if Mullen had any sense of what's going on in the world of big time football he would have kept his mouth shut and moved on.

Leagues at all levels are going to get tougher on what appears to be deliberately dirty plays (and players) and this was not the first time for this guy.

The day of criminal charges for plays like this are not far in the future when a player suffers serious or permanent injury from on the field thuggery.

I thought the same thing. It's like thumbing your nose at authority. If he does it again I hope they suspend mullen as well for not discouraging the behavior.

I don't know about criminal charges. lawsuits seem more likely to me but I get your point.

Personally, I think this is all a bit ridiculous. They should have called it on the field. And should have been looking for it. All this suspension after reviewing film stuff is a bit too much. Never would have been suspended 5, 10, 15+ years ago.

Personally, I think this is all a bit ridiculous. They should have called it on the field. And should have been looking for it. All this suspension after reviewing film stuff is a bit too much. Never would have been suspended 5, 10, 15+ years ago.

There are a lot of things that never would have even been flagged 5 years ago much less gotten a suspension. I do agree it's gotten ridiculous and I don't like the direction football seems to be heading. They're eventually going to turn it into flag football. It is the way things are though and it's never going back.

Things that were not called on the field 10 or 15 years ago are now costing the NFL about a half BILLION bucks and who knows what the NCAA schools will end up paying when the damage is tallied up.

The folks running those sports have used up their excuses of "they knew what they were getting into" to explain brain damaged guys in their 40s and former players who can barely walk. I have been watching college football for more than 50 years and while my memory is only fair, it does seem to to me that the thuggery on the fields has greatly increased in the past decade or so.

Like it or not, it's gotta stop or some players are going to jail or at a minimum, will be sued into bankruptcy.

Fairley's late hit on Murray occured as retribution by Nick to earlier chop blocks on his knees by the Georgia O line. Now an eye for an eye is hardly good sportsmanship but there was no illegal attempt to injure Day before any of his stomps on guys laying on the ground in multiple games. It also strains credibility to believe the Miss State coaches are "shocked...shocked" either at Day's repeated antics or that the SEC would come down on that sort of activity.

Similar to the brush back pitchers use against batters after the other team's pitcher intentionally hits the pitcher's team batter.

Marcus Vick stomped on the leg of a Louisville defensive end in the 2006 gator bowl. The referee missed the stomping and apologized after the game, saying if he had seen that he would have thrown Vick out of the game. Virginia tech Permanently dismissed Vick 4 days later.

DanMullen said he "didn't see anything wrong" w/ Dillon Day's conduct vs LSU: "We completely disagree w/ the ruling." http://www.clarionle...24947/ …

Why would Mullen see anything wrong with stomping players? He obviously is a mentor with excellent judgment. How many coaches can say their mentoring helped produce a murderer? Hes obviously very good at enabling thugs to develop into criminals.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I'm no fan of Mullen but to link him in any way to what Hernandez did is crazy. By those standards, Gus would be held accountable for McNeil, Mosley, Kitchens, and Goodwin as he was the OC just like Mullen was when AH was in school. Derrick Graves is in jail for rape, should Tuberville be blamed? C'mon man.

Did Tubs or Gus come out after any of these incidents and publicly say there was nothing wrong with what they did? No, they did not. Mullen did. The fact that you cant see this is, as you say, ridiculous. Mullen is an enabler. Just like Meyer is an enabler. You have your opinion, and I have mine. When does Mullen take a stand AGAINST this behavior? Apparently never. If Day does something worse now, Mullen is totally responsible because of his refusal to show some integrity and take a stand.

Did Tubs or Gus come out after any of these incidents and publicly say there was nothing wrong with what they did? No, they did not. Mullen did. The fact that you cant see this is, as you say, ridiculous. Mullen is an enabler. Just like Meyer is an enabler. You have your opinion, and I have mine. When does Mullen take a stand AGAINST this behavior? Apparently never. If Day does something worse now, Mullen is totally responsible because of his refusal to show some integrity and take a stand.

I just wanna know how his mentoring "helped produce a murderer"- your exact words. That seems way over the top dramatic for me, but as you said, we can have different opinions.

Archived