Kiffin sued by former USC player

SCBusPilot

http://www.foxsports...injuries-092214

"Former Southern California cornerback Brian Baucham is suing the school and former coach Lane Kiffin, alleging he was forced to play in a game while ill.

A law firm representing Baucham, AgnewBrusavich, says it filed the suit Monday.

Baucham claims he suffered cardiopulmonary damage and brain injury when he played against California on Sept. 22, 2012, two months after sustaining a concussion.

Baucham's lawsuit claims he was ill before the game, but was forced to play by Kiffin. Baucham collapsed on the field during the second half and was taken to a hospital by ambulance, spending several days on a ventilator.

Baucham didn't play for the Trojans again. The lawsuit also claims USC attempted to revoke Baucham's scholarship after his injury.

USC didn't immediately respond to a request for comment."

Well Kiffins rep takes another hit. If this is true it will hurt him in trying to get another HC job. He sure knows how to get people to not like him.

The player may have a point but cynical me just says wait and see about the facts....a school trying to revoke a scholly after an injury? Nobody could be that stupid...well I say that....but after watching the show at FSU this past weekend I guess I could be wrong.

Guest jojo1515

Almost has to be something to this...... Lane Kiffin was fired 6 days later in what was considered at the time to be a very harsh manner. Obviously he was likely fired for more than just a bad w-l record.... If this is true, Kiffin belongs in jail for what has happened to this kid. Unreal. He will fit in well in ttown.

I have to play devil's advocate here... How does one "force" you to play a game. All the coaches I've had would say they really needed me but ask if I was ready to go....

Did Lane hold a gun to the kid's head?

I know this is CLK we are speaking about, but still....

On the other side, nothing would make me happier than to see 'lil Nicky squirm a little bit if the media starts asking about an "Ongoing Investigation" haha

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-cb-brian-baucham-sues-004911809.html

Baucham alleges that he was forced to play in a game while he was ill and that he "suffered cardiopulmonary damage and brain injury" while playing against Cal in 2012, two months after he had sustained a concussion.

In the September 2012 game, Brian Baucham collapsed during the second half and was taken to the hospital by an ambulance. He had to be placed in intensive care and be put on a ventilator Saturday night and Sunday before he could be removed from the device on Monday when his condition improved.

But Brian Baucham again received fluids in the second quarter and went back out for a few plays in the third quarter before he could no longer continue.

Baucham was coughing and could not get a full breath in the locker room and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. After he was admitted, doctors said there was
"a bleed on the brain" and fluid in Baucham's lungs

Baucham never played for USC again after the incident. According to the lawsuit, Baucham also claims USC attempted to revoke his scholarship after the injury.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/09/lane_kiffin_sued_usc_2012.html

Baucham's lawyer told the AP Kiffin and USC were "clearly negligent and acted with conscious disregard for Brian's welfare."

Baucham’s lawsuit claims he was ill before the game but was forced to play by Kiffin.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-baucham-suit-20140923-story.html

Former coach Lane Kiffin, claiming that they were negligent by forcing him to play in a game when he was ill and that they did not follow the school's injury-plan guidelines, leaving Baucham with cardiopulmonary damage and brain injury. Kiffin, now offensive coordinator at Alabama, declined comment.

On the evening of Sept. 20, two days before a game against California, Baucham suffered from "high fever, chills and abdominal distress," the suit claims. The next morning, he went to USC's health clinic with a fever of 103 degrees and was diagnosed with "influenza-like illness, viral pharyngitis and dehydration." He was given medications and four liters of intravenous fluids and was told by the medical staff that he was in no condition to play.

The law-suit claims Baucham played in the first half and was sent to the locker room before halftime where he was given additional intravenous fluids. During the fourth quarter, the suit says, Baucham collapsed and was carted to the locker room where he received more intravenous fluids.

Baucham began coughing up blood and fluids and experienced headache and blurred vision. He was taken by ambulance to USC Keck Medical Center.

"The excessive fluid pumped into the plaintiff caused an overload of fluid in his lungs requiring a ventilator to breathe for him for a number of days," the suit says. "Brain imaging by CT scan revealed that plaintiff had sustained a brain injury and had bleeding into the brain."

The suit also claims that after Baucham's discharge from the hospital, USC attempted to revoke his scholarship and have him attend a community college.

Baucham recently completed his degree at USC, his father said.

"It just seemed like they were trying to push him to the side and wanting for him to go away," the elder Brian Baucham said.

Former Trojans defensive lineman Armond Armstead, who was on the roster from 2008-2011, filed a lawsuit against USC and other defendants in August 2012, claiming he received improperly administered painkilling injections that caused him to suffer a heart attack and hurt his chances for an NFL career.

I just don't understand how a coach can force a kid to play? No one is out there dragging you out on the field making you play a game.

What ever happened to the lawsuit by the former AU player that blamed AU for his back injury during Tubbs years?

Play or I revoke your scholarship. That is what you hold over the kids head.

I think a coach could use many things for intimidation...play or when you are "well" you won't be a starter anymore, you won't have your scholly, threaten severe punishment when you are doing nothing wrong, belittling the player, call him weak...so on. If anything at all was done when the doctors said do not play, Kiffin is in trouble. Really if Kiffin just LET him play knowing he wasnt supposed to be out there, Kiffin is in trouble.

His luck may have finally run out. This guy has such a penchant for failing and getting a better gig than the one he got fired from. One could even say he really didn't fall after getting fired from USC. Being OC at Alabama is a pretty good job. If this is true then he could be finished or at least have to start at the bottom.

Guest jojo1515

Why is no one talking about this? Haven't heard one single mention of it on the radio. We all know what would happen if this were an AU coach....

Archived