Obama's Coffee Cup Salute

cptau

This is why this sort of thing is overblown to me. I doubt any of you would characterize George W. Bush as disrespectful of the military. Yet...

LatteSaluteBushBarney2.jpg

W. couldn't put his dog down or hold him with one arm to give a proper salute. It happens.

I'm noticing this sort of got ignored as an example of disrespecting them military. Why is that?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say many a servicemen have said to me how they respected how Ronald Reagan gave the correct salute. I agree seems a little picky but it does mean alot to those who serviced.

I

He had a lot of practice playing a military role in the movies. ;)

This forum is really split between those who are critical of Obama and those who defend anything he does. Guess that's what makes the world go around.and the forum laughable.

Or one could say that it's split between those who are critical of Obama, in some way, about everything he does, and those who do not assume Obama intends the destruction of all things American in everything he does. Considering that I despise both parties, I cannot be considered an Obama supporter or defender. However, I do get as annoyed with the incessant anti-Obama vitriol/rhetoric as I did the anti-Bush vitriol/rhetoric. I do not find it to be productive in any sense, but I do find it endemic of why we will consistently find ourselves in these positions as long as we buy the rhetoric and support Democrats or Republicans.

This is what it's come to...that if you don't jump in with both feet on every Obama-bash that gets going here, you're defending him. There's no middle ground whatsoever. You either trash him at every opportunity or you're an apologist.

He certainly provides an abundance of opportunities for those who prefer trashing him. Just saying.

Who wouldn't in today's environment? Makes the press's hiding of Roosevelt's paralysis sort of quaint.

This is why this sort of thing is overblown to me. I doubt any of you would characterize George W. Bush as disrespectful of the military. Yet...

W. couldn't put his dog down or hold him with one arm to give a proper salute. It happens.

Not to mention the dog failed to salute!

FWIW....The military in general ,and the Secret Service, loved W. They don't like Obama.

This may or may not be true. But whether the guy messed up on a salute getting off Marine One isn't a litmus test for it.

I'm noticing this sort of got ignored as an example of disrespecting them military. Why is that?

Perhaps Bush really did respect the military and they knew it.

Before 1981 Presidents did not salute military personnel while they are required to salute the presdient.

Reagan began the tradition of Presidents saluting military personnel.

George Washington may have saluted troops when he as President led troops in the field during the Whiskey Rebellion

The rule is no salute required when carrying something with both arms.

So obama could get a pass too if he carried his own dog or had a 2 handed coffee cup.

Obama also got caught in a White House staged video of his arrival by helicopter and he messed it up

And seriously, using a Styrofoam cup on the way to a global warming meeting..........

He has messed it up before, at least he went back and shook the Marine's hand.

My point is, these guys probably do this 1000s of times over the course of their two terms in office. Sometimes you're going to have a brainfart and have something in your right hand as you go out, even though you know you need to be prepared to salute. All I'd like is some consistency. Either it's awful and you should have been bitching when W did it too, or it's a forgivable mistake and you need to give both guys some grace and find something else to bitch about with regard to Obama.

I could care less about his salute. If I were one of those Marines I wouldn't want it anyway. :)

I'll take a stab. Guessing it has more to do with the fact the Obama support club fails to recognize or remotely acknowledge his failures and almost always, as is the case here, finds a way to tie it to Bush. Regardless.

I'll take a stab. Guessing it has more to do with the fact the Obama support club fails to recognize or remotely acknowledge his failures and almost always, as is the case here, finds a way to tie it to Bush. Regardless.

You whiffed.

I don't support Obama and it has nothing to do with tying anything to Bush. It was to point out the hypocrisy and selective outrage of many here. Having a frickin' conniption over Obama doing it while no one here said jacks**t about it when Bush mangled the salute to.

Be consistent.

You whiffed.

I don't support Obama and it has nothing to do with tying anything to Bush. It was to point out the hypocrisy and selective outrage of many here. Having a frickin' conniption over Obama doing it while no one here said jacks**t about it when Bush mangled the salute to.

Be consistent.

I did not realize this was about you? I thought it was a general statement you made?

Anyway, like I said, it was a guess. I certainly can't read their respective minds.

And might I say, I am just devastated I missed the conniption. :dunno:

You whiffed.

Be consistent.

I did not realize this was about you? I thought it was a general statement you made?

Anyway, like I said, it was a guess. I certainly can't read their respective minds.

Amazing these posts about the coffee cup salute have been qualified as conniptions. Never mind, obama has generally ignored the military and has demonstrated what could easily be read as a suspicious attitude toward them. He rarely, if ever, takes their advice about anything and when he acts this cavalierly it just reminds me, anyway, that if he had his way he'd probably reduce all branches of the military to their lowest levels since before WWII, oh wait, he's already done that!

You whiffed.

Be consistent.

Amazing these posts about the coffee cup salute have been qualified as conniptions. Never mind, obama has generally ignored the military and has demonstrated what could easily be read as a suspicious attitude toward them. He rarely, if ever, takes their advice about anything and when he acts this cavalierly it just reminds me, anyway, that if he had his way he'd probably reduce all branches of the military to their lowest levels since before WWII, oh wait, he's already done that!

It goes with the overall disdain the left has for the military.

You whiffed.

Be consistent.

Get real. Titan is exactly right. This is about jumping on something insignificant when the guy you hate does it, but ignoring it when the guy you like does it.

It's hypocrisy whether you recognize it or not.

As for the "conniption", just go back and read the posts making such a big deal about the "latte salute", including yours.

Start with the one just before this: "It goes with the overall disdain the left has for the military". :-\

I LMAO at this thread. Usually the Dems are faulting Bush for things Obama inherited and has trouble fixing. Now they are using Bush's bad salute to JUSTIY the one by Obama.

I LMAO at this thread. Usually the Dems are faulting Bush for things Obama inherited and has trouble fixing. Now they are using Bush's bad salute to JUSTIY the one by Obama.

No one is "justifying" what Obama did.

We are ridiculing those who insist on blowing it up into a major deal that supposedly reflects Obama's "disdain" for the military, when it obviously is not. It's not even unique to either political side as the evidence clearly shows. (And I don't think Bush was expressing his "disdain" for the military either.)

Frankly, it's childish.

One could easily be led to believe they elected him to be Bush 2.0 the way they constantly justify his poor performances by comparing them to Bush. FTR, I dont GAS how he salutes or if he even salutes AT ALL but I'll make no bones about one thing, I think he's done a horrible job fulfilling his oath of office. There is not one single aspect of American life, domestically or abroad, that is in better shape than when he was elected...not one.

Per usual, you miss the point. No one is justifying a bad salute. We're pointing out the glaring hypocrisy and selective memory of people who are going nuts about Obama screwing one up while not saying a peep about it when Bush messed one up. Either it's a big deal in BOTH instance, or it's not really a big deal in either. You don't get to make Obama's into some major thing and ignore Bush's without getting called on it.

Per usual, you miss the point. No one is justifying a bad salute. We're pointing out the glaring hypocrisy and selective memory of people who are going nuts about Obama screwing one up while not saying a peep about it when Bush messed one up. Either it's a big deal in BOTH instance, or it's not really a big deal in either. You don't get to make Obama's into some major thing and ignore Bush's without getting called on it.

^^this. :thumbsup:

You whiffed.

Be consistent.

Get real. Titan is exactly right. This is about jumping on something insignificant when the guy you hate does it, but ignoring it when the guy you like does it.

It's hypocrisy whether you recognize it or not.

As for the "conniption", just go back and read the posts making such a big deal about the "latte salute", including yours.

Start with the one just before this: "It goes with the overall disdain the left has for the military". :-\

Your whole summation is just blatantly false. Your guy got caught (you are not alone) and now you are tirelessly and typically trying to turn the table. That is all this is about. I would not have even posted had it not been for the panty wads upset their guy got caught and pulling their typical diversionary tactics. Like I stated earlier, admit it and move on. You cannot win. :-\ Is it really that important to you?

Be my guest and precisely provide the post # of the conniption. And by the way, a conniption is a bit more than saying "it goes with the overall disdain the left has for the military." That was a really weak attempt BTW.

Archived