Calling Payton Barber

3Jtiger22

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling we will see him and Roc in the game Saturday.

I was just thinking I'd like to see more of him too. Roc has gotten all the hype, but I want to see what Barber can do too.

Might like to see him in the fullback role....waaay to many missed blocks the last few weeks from that position.

PB at FB would be an interesting twist to the offense, however I would like to see the FB get some carries especially in short yardage situations hello CJ 6-5 265 (4.6 40).

Gus indicated this week that CAP "needs to get a comfort level with his blocking", which I read as a suggestion CAP needs to better learn play timing so he knows when to wait for blocks to develop vs. when a play's been blown up and plow ahead. In othe words, CAP needs repetitions with timing in mind.

Having said that, we SHOULD have a comfortable enough half time lead so Barber gets some quality carries.

Will see all the backups Saturday...which I like.

wonder how much JJ plays..especially after last week's passing performance

I imagine Marshall will get a good bit of work. Zone read has been a little off this year up to this point, hopefully this is the game to work out the bugs, and get a little chemistry between Marshall and CAP.

I imagine Marshall will get a good bit of work. Zone read has been a little off this year up to this point, hopefully this is the game to work out the bugs, and get a little chemistry between Marshall and CAP.

Precisely. I couldn't care less if we even throw a single pass. I hope they grind it out on the ground and get that juggernaut back in sync to build confidence to roll into the LSU game with.

I want to see Roc at RB and PB at FB with the first team a couple of times to see what they can do with the 1st string line.

hopefully someone else gets some looks at FB, because Fulse has been a failed experiment to this point

Agree....don't know the problem...maybe he's not quick enough to stay on defenders who are trying to shed his block...but something has to change if we are going to get the running game back to where it was late in the 2013 season.

Barber's future will more than likely be at fullback or transfer, with Robinson coming in, it will be tough to beat him out.

Fulse does not have the mentality to be a fullback

just my stupid unqualified opinion

We need someone there who is mean as piss and wants to knock peoples teeth out

The right guy seems to be on his way to AU....but it will be next season I'm afraid.

Barber's future will more than likely be at fullback or transfer, with Robinson coming in, it will be tough to beat him out.

Peyton will likely get more carries as this season goes along (we're only 3 games in, after all), and he will probably be getting more touches next season than this one in any case. That's taking nothing away from Robinson, rather saying that I think we're going to see far more of a three headed monster next year than anything else.

Also, even if Jovon does have the kind of season that pushes Barber back down the depth chart, he's going pro, because he's almost certainly going to be one and done, anyway.

Now, I could see Peyton playing fullback, but if that happens I expect him to play more of a Ronnie Brown role, lining up at several different positions. He's just too good an athlete not to get him the ball.

Peyton will likely get more carries as this season goes along (we're only 3 games in, after all), and he will probably be getting more touches next season than this one in any case. That's taking nothing away from Robinson, rather saying that I think we're going to see far more of a three headed monster next year than anything else.

Also, even if Jovon does have the kind of season that pushes Barber back down the depth chart, he's going pro, because he's almost certainly going to be one and done, anyway.

Now, I could see Peyton playing fullback, but if that happens I expect him to play more of a Ronnie Brown role, lining up at several different positions. He's just too good an athlete not to get him the ball.

Um?.....The Roc!!?!

Um?.....The Roc!!?!

Do please note that I mentioned a three headed monster next year; Thomas is the other back I was talking about. Barber and Robinson are both big backs, which is what auburnphan was getting at (I presume). Roc isn't a scatback, but he's not the same kind of bruiser that the other two are.

I actually think with JJ next year will be MORE pass oriented than this year, which is not to say there won't be plenty of carries for the RBs in that version of Gusball.

I actually think with JJ next year will be MORE pass oriented than this year, which is not to say there won't be plenty of carries for the RBs in that version of Gusball.

And I suspect that Barber is going to catch the ball out of the backfield quite a bit, whether by design or on a checkdown when the primary receiver isn't open; that's why I used 'touches' instead of 'carries' when alluding to next season in my initial sentence. ;)

And I suspect that Barber is going to catch the ball out of the backfield quite a bit, whether by design or on a checkdown when the primary receiver isn't open; that's why I used 'touches' instead of 'carries' when alluding to next season in my initial sentence. ;)/>

I saw and considered that but if jovon is back there and especially if Ford can switch back (that second one's unlikely IMO) they're much better RB receivers than Barber so they'll likely get that role. We know Gus will change the O early season to fit extraordinary talent (Cam and at Tulsa) so that's Barber's biggest chance to be a superstar next season. IMHO.

Archived