"War Eagle!" Etiquette?

BeasFan

Is there ever a time or occasion where it's considered bad form or insensitive to yell out "War Eagle"?

(I ask because to me it's an affirmative statement that takes the place of so many other lame expressions that just don't get the job done.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I even thought of a hand signal for "War Eagle" that could be used for instance if you were a distance away and you wanted to acknowledge another Auburn person.

You could hold up the three middle fingers of the right hand pointing straight up. Looks like a "W". Then rotate the three fingers so they are pointing toward your left side.

To the other person it would look like an "E". So.... the "W" "E" would be short for "War Eagle". I don't know how you would ever get it started but it would be a great "insider" signal to each other that would drive the onlookers crazy!

Well I don't know of any except the obvious where anything would be out of place (church, meetings etc.) Anytime it is ok to greet someone enthusiastically seems ok to me but I'm not an etiquette expert.

Well, I tend to agree with the idea of random funerals, but when my Dad died in 1995 his brother (a Bama fan!) had an orange and navy wreath made up with a big "War Eagle" on it and it brought all of us to tears! Their rivalry stopped that day and I still have that wreath. Meanwhile the brother has passed on as well.

I even thought of a hand signal for "War Eagle" that could be used for instance if you were a distance away and you wanted to acknowledge another Auburn person.

You could hold up the three middle fingers of the right hand pointing straight up. Looks like a "W". Then rotate the three fingers so they are pointing toward your left side.

To the other person it would look like an "E". So.... the "W" "E" would be short for "War Eagle". I don't know how you would ever get it started but it would be a great "insider" signal to each other that would drive the onlookers crazy!

Do that around the wrong people and you might find yourself in trouble.

Haha my thoughts too, let's stay away from things that could be perceived as game symbols.

I prefer the "AU" hand sign folks starting doing a couple years ago. Here is a example from google if you are not familiar with it. So gangsta. Ha!! http://www.thewareaglereader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Auburn-Girl-Gang-sign-5.jpg

Would that be like "and the horse you rode in on"

I prefer the "AU" hand sign folks starting doing a couple years ago. Here is a example from google if you are not familiar with it. So gangsta. Ha!! http://www.thewareag...Gang-sign-5.jpg

That is cool! Would take a little practice to get it down right.

I prefer the "AU" hand sign folks starting doing a couple years ago. Here is a example from google if you are not familiar with it. So gangsta. Ha!! http://www.thewareag...Gang-sign-5.jpg

That is cool! Would take a little practice to get it down right.

I am not that flexible any more and where I lived in Atlanta that might get you shot although I wouldn't have red on so maybe I would be ok

More like, "oh, it's like that? Let me get my gun"

You never know what it might mean in some other country. In Brazil it is considered vulgar just to show the "OK" sign with the thumb and forefinger making a circle.

Is there ever a time or occasion where it's considered bad form or insensitive to yell out "War Eagle"?

Absolutely! For example....when your mother in law stomps out of the house angry at you and says she's never coming back, yelling "War Eagle!" in an exclamation of joy to your wife would be bad form. Or when your buddy is lining up for a putt that's the difference between winning and losing a 500 dollar bet, yellling "War Eagle!" just as he begins his stroke might not be appreciated. Etc. etc. :big:

You never know what it might mean in some other country. In Brazil it is considered vulgar just to show the "OK" sign with the thumb and forefinger making a circle.

The traditional "peace sign" is also considered to mean the same as a middle finger in some countries.

Good Lord! I hope our fans don't start yelling out "War Eagle" at highly inappropriate and embarrassing times, like when you're getting arrested. Seems bammer fans think that's the time to yell out "Roh Tahd!"

(I ask because to me it's an affirmative statement that takes the place of so many other lame expressions that just don't get the job done.)

I am not a fan of people saying WAR EAGLE to people just because they are wearing different colors. (ex. uga and turd fans) If you are addressed first by someone saying "go dawgs",etc... then I feel it is ok to say WAR EAGLE in response. Outside of that it seems appropriate to say WAR EAGLE anytime you notice a fellow Auburn family member.

(I ask because to me it's an affirmative statement that takes the place of so many other lame exp<b></b>ressions that just don't get the job done.)

I am not a fan of people saying WAR EAGLE to people just because they are wearing different colors. (ex. uga and turd fans) If you are addressed first by someone saying "go dawgs",etc... then I feel it is ok to say WAR EAGLE in response. Outside of that it seems appropriate to say WAR EAGLE anytime you notice a fellow Auburn family member.

This

Absolutely! For example....when your mother in law stomps out of the house angry at you and says she's never coming back, yelling "War Eagle!" in an exclamation of joy to your wife would be bad form. Or when your buddy is lining up for a putt that's the difference between winning and losing a 500 dollar bet, yellling "War Eagle!" just as he begins his stroke might not be appreciated. Etc. etc. :big:

If that is the case...the dude is just not a player! When money is on the line...handle the pressure! ;D

If that is the case...the dude is just not a player! When money is on the line...handle the pressure! ;D

I LOL'd. I really did.

I just hope the political correctness thing doesn't kick in and tell us we can use the term "war", which a funky liberal school in the northeast would have banned years ago because war is evil and we can't refer to it ever in College life.

This

Auburn shirts or paraphernalia has elicited many "War Eagles!" when I have been at Cancer Treatment Centers in Newnan. Their gift shop tends to carry Georgia, Auburn and a smattering of Bammer things. I have seen a few bammer shirts on people at the center but not one of those people has said R#@$ T#*#. I have to admit I was quite shocked, but many of the people who work there seem to be Auburn grads so I guess they decided they didn't wanna make waves :jossun:

Archived