Give Auburn Respect - Espn Article

chimesAU

Let's at least include part of the article so we know what is being talked. Also editing the thread title

Where's the respect for the Auburn Tigers?

September, 26, 2014

Sep 26

11:05

AM ET

By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com

Like Roc-A-Fella Records, can we please acknowledge that Auburn is definitely in the building?

Four full weeks into the 2014 college football season, and we still aren't really talking about the defending SEC champions. Did I miss something? Wasn't this team 13 seconds away from winning the final BCS national title game at the end of last season?

Despite returning a handful of starters on both sides of the ball to a team that made a fantastic run through the SEC a year removed from being a certifiable dumpster fire on the Plains, the fifth-ranked Tigers (3-0, 1-0 SEC) entered the 2014 season ranked behind Alabama, which Auburn beat last fall -- on a miracle play, but still beat.

And even after a perfect start, which includes a 24-point win over a much-improved Arkansas team and a tough road win at No. 20 Kansas State, it's as if the Tigers are in our peripheral vision. Texas A&M (4-0, 1-0) is ranked one spot behind Auburn, yet has four first-place votes to Auburn's zero.

If you look at what Auburn has done thus far, the argument can certainly be made that it is probably the most complete team of the SEC's preseason favorites. The offense is balanced, and the defense is much improved. There's a quality veteran quarterback and a hot-shot coach running things.

You are what your record is, right?

The Tigers have done everything asked of them, and done it well. You say their six-point win over a Kansas State team that narrowly escaped what would have been an epic upset against lowly Iowa State isn't impressive enough? Well, I think you should look deeper at what the Tigers did to claw their way out of Manhattan, Kansas.

There were some mistakes on Kansas State's part that certainly helped Auburn, but one thing that really stuck out to me was how Auburn turned to its passing game to win. Kansas State's stout run defense thwarted Auburn's dynamic rushing attack, allowing just 128 rushing yards and a paltry 2.8 yards per carry (the lowest in the Gus Malzahn era). Auburn hadn't been held to under 300 rushing yards in either of its first two games, and this marked just the second time in 17 games under Malzahn that the Tigers were held below 200 rushing yards.

With the running game in shambles, quarterback Nick Marshall was given the green light to chuck away. This is the same quarterback we've had to question multiple times when it comes to being a more consistent passer. Well, the coaches didn't question him,and he didn't disappoint, throwing for 231 yards and two touchdowns. Marshall came up with a clutch, game-winning throw -- again -- in the fourth quarter when he found a wide open D'haquille Williams for a 39-yard gain on third-and-9 with 2:06 remaining.

The Tigers also forced three turnovers without key defender Jermaine Whitehead even in the state.

Read the rest here; http://m.espn.go.com...me=sec&id=89426

I long ago quit worry about the early season snubs from people. It's fun to actually fly under the radar and then come up and punch these idiots in the face again and show them to be the ignorant fools they are.

I still think a lot of people look at the history of Auburn and the inability to put together a string of success. They figure last year was a one year in ten type of deal and we'll go back to being average. Once we establish ourselves with consistent top level performance the "experts" will start giving us their "respect"

I still think a lot of people look at the history of Auburn and the inability to put together a string of success. They figure last year was a one year in ten type of deal and we'll go back to being average. Once we establish ourselves with consistent top level performance the "experts" will start giving us their "respect"

I believe there is a lot of truth to this.

We knew with our schedule, none would believe. We need to convince them. ONE game at a time.

War Eagle!

Honestly I think beating LSU soundly will help. Not as much as it would have if they hadn't lost to MSU. But the fact that LSU has had our number would make a statement that we are ready. Even the 2010 game was close but we could have scored again at the end. We need to have that fan base start to fear playing us.

Honestly I think beating LSU soundly will help. Not as much as it would have if they hadn't lost to MSU. But the fact that LSU has had our number would make a statement that we are ready. Even the 2010 game was close but we could have scored again at the end. We need to have that fan base start to fear playing us.

I think that is our "Statement Game". I really hope we win impressively!

Very well said! I agree completely!

With 7 games against ranked teams left on our schedule, our time will come and in a big way. As usual, at the end of the day, if we win good things happen. As someone earlier said- one game at a time.

I just hope they all stay ranked until we beat them. That will give us 8 ranked teams on the season

This is very true with regard to how people see us, in spite of the fact that in the previous ten seasons, we have won 3 SEC Championships, went undefeated twice, and have won at least 11 games four times...

This is very true with regard to how people see us, in spite of the fact that in the previous ten seasons, we have won 3 SEC Championships, went undefeated twice, and have won at least 11 games four times...

And....a Natty. And almost 2 more (2004...2013)

Sorry so few details in the OP. Posted it from my phone while getting ready for work this morning. Like pretty much everyone has said, we've got PLENTY of opportunities to prove ourselves over the course of the season.

Sorry so few details in the OP. Posted it from my phone while getting ready for work this morning. Like pretty much everyone has said, we've got PLENTY of opportunities to prove ourselves over the course of the season.

Yeah, no question. We could well finish 10-2 and still have a pretty solid argument for getting in the playoff...not that I'm thinking about making the playoffs at this point, because there's a ton of football left to be played, nor that I would expect to make the playoffs with 2 losses, just that a schedule like this one is going to sort things out plenty well enough that if we deserve to be talked about come playoff time, we will be.

After last weekend, I heard several talking heads give Oregon and FSU a pass for barely winning, saying things like "they just find a way to win." Then when Auburn came up, several others said things like they're not convinced we're legit.

I think it's part of Gus's master plan to allow us to continue to fly under the radar. We have them right where Gus wants them. :big:

Didn't care for the "miracle play" reference to beat Bama. Davis made a great run but it damn sure wasn't a "miracle". It was an aggressive team seizing an opportunity.

Agreed. Not to mention that it was a tie, rather than Auburn trailing...

Archived