Is Gus Sandbagging?

Weegle777

Gus hasn't shown his entire hand yet as far as play calling is concerned. As oblivious as i am to formations even i noticed it was the same set up down after down after down this weekend. Only enough to get by.

If how I feel going into these games is a reflection of the team then the Auburn team we see Saturday night will be far different from the one we've seen the first 4 games. I was pumped for the first game because it was the first game of the season, not because we were playing Arkansas. And the 3 following games didn't get the juices flowing. And i can see how our players may have felt the same way. But now, with LSU coming into town, I'm extremenly excited and Saturday night can't get here soon enough.

The preseason is now over with.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think AU is 4 games in and much like last year, and every other year Gus has been a coach at AU, he's learning what this team can and cannot do.

No/ and Yes

No..He wants to run the read and it is not working and he is going to run it till it does..Yes, he has not shown much yet otherwise.

I don't think it's sandbagging. I think Gus spends the first part of the season trying out all of the things he WANTS to do, evaluating until he's forced to go with what he KNOWS will work. These first four games have been part of that evaluation, and frankly, he wants to be in that stage as long as he can until he's forced to settle on the plays that work the best. Last year, the fourth game (LSU) was the last of these "evaluation" games. Let's hope the fourth (La Tech) turns out to be the last this year as well.

I don't think it's sandbagging. I think Gus spends the first part of the season trying out all of the things he WANTS to do, evaluating until he's forced to go with what he KNOWS will work. These first four games have been part of that evaluation, and frankly, he wants to be in that stage as long as he can until he's forced to settle on the plays that work the best. Last year, the fourth game (LSU) was the last of these "evaluation" games. Let's hope the fourth (La Tech) turns out to be the last this year as well.

I seriously doubt he used LSU last year as a "evaluation" game. We gave'em what we had and it just didn't work out for the good guys.

I think there has been a lot of effort to establish a passing game this year, allowing NM to get valuable game experience with his new passing techniques. Unfortunately, it seems the struggles are still there, even though there are some improvements. The downside to this is that it has disrupted the rhythm of the offense, and has stalled some of our drives. I believe this will somehow be resolved as the year rolls on, whether it be because a light bulb suddenly goes off for NM and the receivers, or we slowly abandon the pass and rely more heavily on the run as we did last year. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think there has been a lot of effort to establish a passing game this year, allowing NM to get valuable game experience with his new passing techniques. Unfortunately, it seems the struggles are still there, even though there are some improvements. The downside to this is that it has disrupted the rhythm of the offense, and has stalled some of our drives. I believe this will somehow be resolved as the year rolls on, whether it be because a light bulb suddenly goes off for NM and the receivers, or we slowly abandon the pass and rely more heavily on the run as we did last year. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

We can't abandon anything! CAP is not where Tre was, and the OL isn't getting the same push. IMO, Young to RT, Slade to RG and Danzey at LG may help out. I would also get Peyton Barber more carries. He seems to be better at planting his foot an heading downhill compared to CAP IYAM. Only minimal carries makes that a definite opinion (of mine) vs. a fact, but I think CAP may be trying to break one every time. Too much hesitation/dancing around IMO.

"Is Gus Sandbagging?"

Yes. When has he not? The man historically not only sandbags during games, he sandbags during entire seasons. It's aggravating at times and shows his nerve but seems to backfire only when his team doesn't execute as capable when not-so-secret-weapons you suspect are coming get sprung. Asterisk IMO is that so long as things result in a W, he won't change what's getting the W. Unless he has a Cam Newton level talent.

Just guestimating: Barber, Roc and the hinted at JJ package (I predict with him running A LOT) will be on display if we need an unlikely comeback or lose a game.

Bottom line is, no one knows what goes through Gus' mind regarding game prep, sandbagging, playcalling, etc. This is what make him a genius!!! Just about the time you think you have him figured out, he shifts into another gear and we're gone. Personally, IMHO, I think we have tried to limit our gameplan over the past 3 games. I say this because if you look at the Arky game, and the formations we ran, and the pace we played at, it is clearly different than our last 3 games. Watching the K-State game, I kept yelling at the TV "why aren't we going fast?????". Granted, we looked out of sync that entire game, but even when we put together a couple of nice plays, we were letting the clock run down to single-digits before snapping the ball. Same with La Tech. Even when we "showed" that we were going to up the tempo, we still did our sideline checks and let the clock run. No sugar huddles, slowed pace, limited formations. Sandbagging???? Maybe. I think we see a different Auburn this weekend, and going forward!

War Eagle!!!! I smell corn-dogs!!!!

Question I have is Nick ok? If you pay attention he is not attacking with the same speed we saw last year. No knock on him but I am wondering if he is dealing with a undisclosed injury. He seems to still be shifty but it appears his high end gear was not there an against LaTech.

I dont believe he is sandbagging but I do believe he has been trying to use these games to get better without displaying the full offensive abilities we have. Sandbagging to me would indicate he is intenionally holding back but I think its more he has been trying to correct mistakes in these games I felt like he was forcing the run game against La Tech to try and work out the kinks when he could have opened up the pass game more and prob put that game away earlier. We have rarely seen CJ Uzomah yet and thats one guy I have to believe he has some plans for eventually. I have to think we have more of an intermediate passing game than what we have shown so Im looking for that too. I think we will see a more diversified offense against LSU and then MSU the next week.

^This is a good post^

I second that. I also think we may see CAP catching the ball out of the backfield.

I agree and HOPE so. Like all of you, 4 and 0 was expected but what we have seen or not seen has not been expected. Hopefully it is all part of the wizardry that we call the Gus Bus.

We can't abandon anything! CAP is not where Tre was, and the OL isn't getting the same push. IMO, Young to RT, Slade to RG and Danzey at LG may help out. I would also get Peyton Barber more carries. He seems to be better at planting his foot an heading downhill compared to CAP IYAM. Only minimal carries makes that a definite opinion (of mine) vs. a fact, but I think CAP may be trying to break one every time. Too much hesitation/dancing around IMO.

Me and my wife were saying the same thing about CAP...just hit the freaking hole...it was one play last game where he could have cut back and picked up 5-6 yards easily...he just doesn't have that vision that Tre has

Great discussion and great answers, except one smart alec one, but good nonetheless. I sometimes wonder if Gus is kinda holding Nick back a little to keep him from getting pounded too much because of the grind that they are about to hit. The one xfactor that really made our rushing attack last season was Nick's ability to run the zone read to perfection, and you don't just lose that over an offseason. We are about to go up against the best defenses in the country in this 8 game stretch, so maybe he is just pulling back the reigns a little.

The RB's understanding of when to take the ball and when to release is as critical as the QB's and 1/2 of last year is gone. I suspect CAP isn't as dialed in as Tre was, After rewatching the first QTR of the Tech game, CAP isn't always making the best decisions on picking holes and cuts. I think Barber is going to get more carries going forward.

My first reaction is no. But after re-watching and looking at cutups I'd say Gus is "slow-playing" his hand a little. Stat covers it here: When the sideline decided to run with numbers at LAT, CAP was barely touched. ...when they decided to.

We could have made more of "a-living" with the buck sweep and some quick throws that "constrain" these aggressive gap assignments (particularly on 1st down this last weekend). Yet, it seems we stuck with the inside zone and read rather stubbornly. This creates both a coaching point to the team and false success (bait) for the opponent.

Other plays I don't recall seeing much of since week 1:

• "smoke" draw
  • QB counter (unbalanced)
  • inside screen
  • wr end around
  • wr inside screen "jailbreak"
  • wr motion swing - (1 play KSU, we used 3 to Omac against Bama 2010 that effectively opened up the whole offense)
  • HB wheel (with WR)

No

^^^This. I wish he was but no. I just think it's taking him more time to figure out what plays and in which situations work best for this team even with Nick returning. A mixture of things like the Oline, RBs, WR drops and the way defenses are now defending us are all challenges he's working through to figure out.

blocking is fine not hard to defend a dive behind center and jet sweep to grant and marshall keeps either to lg or behind center. Were running 3 plays. Passing game not much either screen.Their simply outnumbered in the box and gus doesnt care.Not many pass calls either screen to rb,louis,coates and slant to duke. We do of few streak routes that is either hit or miss. Very basic, very slow,not alot of eye candy.

I just would like us to consider passing a little more on 1st downs.

Yes meaning the whole playbook has not been ran yet. No because too many blocks are being missed at the second level on 1st and 2nd down running plays!!!!!

Personally, I would say it is likely Gus is, in fact, sandbagging, at least to some degree. Now, I don't think he expected to have the issues with execution that were rightfully pointed out earlier in the thread, but I think he understood that we could win even without executing everything perfectly, and thus has retained the mentality to preserve a measure of surprise for going down the stretch.

I don't know that we will see a whole lot of changes against LSU, and if there aren't many changes, I believe they will be subtle in nature, something akin to moving a few cogs slightly in order to allow the machinery to start clicking properly. Otherwise, I suspect Gus will open the playbook up some, and if that fails, perhaps put JJ in to try and create a spark. :dunno:

I think he is to an extent. But like earlier, out OL play had been pretty bad and WR blocks have been even worse. I expect to see a noticeable change in play come Saturday.

He's not sandbagging in the context you are asking the question. I'm sure he hasn't opened up the playbook fully but the missed assignments and other issues that are happening is not part of the plan. He may be running some of these plays to get repetition in a game atmosphere so as to allow players to better understand what they are being asked to do.

Great discussion and great answers, except one smart alec one, but good nonetheless. I sometimes wonder if Gus is kinda holding Nick back a little to keep him from getting pounded too much because of the grind that they are about to hit. The one xfactor that really made our rushing attack last season was Nick's ability to run the zone read to perfection, and you don't just lose that over an offseason. We are about to go up against the best defenses in the country in this 8 game stretch, so maybe he is just pulling back the reigns a little.

Sure am leaning to my own understanding right now, but something rings true with this. Conservation matters, but in as small of doses as possible to still give what is needed to pull it off.

As well, I think my personal expectations have been off the chain, partly due to lots of positive press that we are not used to getting. We definitely miss Jay Prosch--person and role. SIZE!!!! Our O-line is not as dominant w/out Robinson and Kozan. There was nowhere to go but up last year, so every W can feel like an L this year if it's sloppy...because all of the doomsday and second-guessing begins. Interestingly, the full package is coming together, for with so much attn. and expectation on our offense, our defense is creeping up and getting its own wow factor.

True this: the games we remember most had "intangibles" written all over them. Pretty amazing execution, but too close to call until BAM! Prayer in JH/Kick 6. End of the season at that. Much like getting a new crop of kids each fall that seems headed for retention already only because of how far the previous group had gotten by May. Perception rules. We forget.

Sloppy, imperfect games...yet all wins. Mistakes will always be there, and will be random. As will penalties, although I would LOVE to see these drop off--the part we can control, that is. (Who knows what's in the perception of conference officials?). Something--in ourselves or in our opponents--we have faced in every game is going to have the potential to result in something previously unforeseen being avoided in a future game, I honestly believe.

In short-- the "dress rehearsals" to the gauntlet will PAY OFF. Just my 2 cents...realistic rainbow-loving sunshine girl that I am...

:wareagle:

Just a thought, but could Gus be going vanilla through the first four, knowing that the nastiest part of the schedule is coming up? Seems that we haven't really seen much other than just about four, maybe five looks so far as far as alignments and playcalling. No link and no insider stuff, just wondering what you guys think. Thoughts?

Quite possibly. I hope anyway.

Sandbagging? No. Tinkering, experimenting, looking for the best combo to get max speed out of this year's edition of the Gus Bus? Sure. I think it's a hallmark of Malzahn coached offenses that they get better as the season goes along. Even in 2010 with Cam, it took a little while to really get rolling.

This season the Gus Bus has the same carburetor (Nick Marshall) but bits of the transmission (the offensive line) and the suspension (running backs, H-back) have been replaced. Still getting it all dialed in...which isn't to say that Malzahn and Lashlee didn't fully expect to have it all dialed in earlier. This may be the week where all the parts get dialed in just right and we hit

. For all the issues, it's not like the bus has just been limping along...

Archived