Bama @ Ole Miss

Barnacle

If you saw the Memphis game, there was a little more going on there. Ole Miss turned the ball over twice inside the 20 (hey there bad Bo Wallace!). Their kicker got kicked out for fighting after I think the first kickoff, and the backup missed two kicks under 40. Memphis had two drives over 35 yards all night. It was the most lopsided 7-3 you can imagine.

But still, I take your point. Ugly performance.

I watched it and dear Lord that game was a pain to watch.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it sounds crazy but I actually think Arky has a better shot at beating them the next week.

It's not crazy...Arky has a MUCH BETTER chance than Ole Miss IMO and if the line is high on Bama...i'm taking Arky.

If you saw the Memphis game, there was a little more going on there. Ole Miss turned the ball over twice inside the 20 (hey there bad Bo Wallace!). Their kicker got kicked out for fighting after I think the first kickoff, and the backup missed two kicks under 40. Memphis had two drives over 35 yards all night. It was the most lopsided 7-3 you can imagine.

Just thinkin' however....if you were playing bama in a week, would you be giving much thought to Memphis? Not saying they should have ignored them but with bama and ESPN coming to campus...where would the focus be?

Ole Miss will have a shot, but only because the game is going to be played in the teens. Low scoring game on your home field... you have a shot.

Again, Ole Miss has the best defense in the SEC, and it may be the best defense in the country (best scoring D and pass efficiency D in America thus far). They are aggressive, they cause turnovers, and they don't let teams nickel and dime down the field. It's going to be a low scoring game. Even last year at Alabama, with Ole Miss' offense looking completely inept, it was a two-score game entering the fourth. Just like every Tuberville team, Ole Miss will have a shot thanks to the defense.

I have a tough time seeing any completely one-dimensional team beating Bama (Arkansas included), but Ole Miss' defense is scary. Against Memphis, Ole Miss gave up more yards in penalties (10 penalties - 117 yards) than they did on defense (104 yards allowed).

Just thinkin' however....if you were playing bama in a week, would you be giving much thought to Memphis? Not saying they should have ignored them but with bama and ESPN coming to campus...where would the focus be?

Yes b/c Memphis went toe to toe with ranked #8 UCLA the previous week. UCLA only won by 7 at home. I watched that game as well and Memphis is a decent team. They're not LA Tech or Samford.

I know it sounds crazy but I actually think Arky has a better shot at beating them the next week.

^^ This.

What's all this love for Ole Miss? They have played NOBODY. Of course their numbers look good.

You beat me to it. Their signature win so far is Boise State? Who put up 14 points and got thrashed by Air Force.

The Black Bears won't be anywhere close to the number one defense in the conference come Sunday morning.

And I would slit my wrists with a butter knife if I had to pull for Bo Wallace as my QB.

I hate the Updykes, but Ole Miss is Ole Miss.

Yes b/c Memphis went toe to toe with ranked #8 UCLA the previous week. UCLA only won by 7 at home. I watched that game as well and Memphis is a decent team. They're not LA Tech or Samford.

Right. This not your Dad's Memphis. They hung 469 total yards on UCLA. And UCLA has a good defense. or reputedly does.

I can see Bo throw for 3 td's...in addition to 3 ints. He's a good talent but very inconsistent obviously. Ole Miss does have some talent at RB and WR but I don't think they can put enough together to score much on Updyke. As said earlier, I also don't expect their D to be tops in the league after Saturday. Talking about inflated statistical numbers- that D defines overrated IMO.

I'll go on record and say I bet the defense makes believers of a lot of people. I've seen them. They're legit. They were fourth in the conference in yards per play last year. They just happened to defend a ton of plays so their "total defense" stat was middling. Now, they're giving up almost a full yard per play less than any other team. Even if you think the numbers are inflated, they could regress and still lead the SEC. If Auburn played their schedule, we wouldn't replicate their defensive success. Best Safeties in the SEC (not close) in Prewitt and Connor. The Nkemdiche brothers are great. CJ Johnson and DT Shackleford are really good.

Maybe I end up looking bad, but I doubt it. I believe in that defense. Bama hung 25 last year, and I don't think they'll hit that number this year. I still think Bama wins.

I think Bama beat them easily, at least 10 - 14 points.

Or worse.

I promise, the only love for Ole Miss in this thread will be coming from me, that being said. Best defense I've seen in the SEC this year. Physical, punch you in the mouth, fly to the ball defense will great hands in the secondary.

I'll go on record and say I bet the defense makes believers of a lot of people. I've seen them. They're legit. They were fourth in the conference in yards per play last year. They just happened to defend a ton of plays so their "total defense" stat was middling. Now, they're giving up almost a full yard per play less than any other team. Even if you think the numbers are inflated, they could regress and still lead the SEC. If Auburn played their schedule, we wouldn't replicate their defensive success. Best Safeties in the SEC (not close) in Prewitt and Connor. The Nkemdiche brothers are great. CJ Johnson and DT Shackleford are really good.

Maybe I end up looking bad, but I doubt it. I believe in that defense. Bama hung 25 last year, and I don't think they'll hit that number this year. I still think Bama wins.

I agree. I don't see Ole Miss scoring much at all. Hope I am wrong.

I'll go on record and say I bet the defense makes believers of a lot of people. I've seen them. They're legit. They were fourth in the conference in yards per play last year. They just happened to defend a ton of plays so their "total defense" stat was middling. Now, they're giving up almost a full yard per play less than any other team. Even if you think the numbers are inflated, they could regress and still lead the SEC.

IMO, I think its WAY premature to call Ole Miss' defense "legit". They could also regress against real competition and finish in the bottom half of the league. Their competition at this point in the season is Boise State (3-2 w/ loss to AIR FORCE), Vanderbilt (1-4 w/3 point win over UMASS) , Louisiana-Lafayette (1-3 w/only win vs. SOUTHERN), and Memphis (2-2). That's a combined 7-11.

If Auburn played their schedule, we wouldn't replicate their defensive success.

MASSIVE Speculation. NO WAY to prove it.

Best Safeties in the SEC (not close) in Prewitt and Connor.

Your opinion only...and formed while Ole Miss played crap competition.

The Nkemdiche brothers are great. CJ Johnson and DT Shackleford are really good.

I'll agree they are good, but definitely don't see them as great....YET.. The potential is there though.

You may be right here, but until Ole Miss actually does it on the field, I'm not buying it yet. They also have to score which is something they didn't do against uat last year. Wallace is average at best and often below average at QB. If he is below average against uat, Ole Miss won't be in this game at all, IMO. I expect uat to score more than 25 maybe a LOT more. Every year they have the hype and every year they fall into the bottom half of the league.

2013 - 3-5 6th

2012 - 3-5 5th

2011 - 0-8 6th (which was last in the division since it was prior to expansion)

2010 - (1-7)

Is 2014 finally the year that Ole Miss actually delivers against a good team or is it just like every year in oxford, just potential.

When Ole Miss is in the spotlight, they usually fall on their face. I don't see any reason why it will be different Saturday.

X2.

Ole Miss is Ole Miss. God bless them but they aint won a thing since i have been born and i am an old man...

i honestly think ole miss has no business being on the field with bama. i dont think bama is very good but i dont see how ole miss has any sort of shot with bo wallace at the helm. 3 picks just wont cut it

What's all this love for Ole Miss? They have played NOBODY. Of course their numbers look good.

Well, who has Bama played? Florida, who's probably got more losses down the road; Florida Atlantic? Southern Miss? It's not like Bama has played world-beaters, either.

Well, who has Bama played? Florida, who's probably got more losses down the road; Florida Atlantic? Southern Miss? It's not like Bama has played world-beaters, either.

I figure just based on history that bama will win but as noted, who have they played that is worth a crap...and how did they rise up the rankings this week while not playing anyone...did someone they beat turn out to be better than expected? Oh well....don't think I would take the points on this one.

I figure just based on history that bama will win but as noted, who have they played that is worth a crap...and how did they rise up the rankings this week while not playing anyone...did someone they beat turn out to be better than expected? Oh well....don't think I would take the points on this one.

Come on WVU and UF both had bye weeks as well so they moved up as well I am sure, so cynical

Best Safeties in the SEC (not close) in Prewitt and Connor. Your opinion only...and formed while Ole Miss played crap competition.

Prewitt was a first team all-American last year, and he and Connor proved their worth over the course of an entire season last year. It doesn't take long after watching Ole Miss play, even against "crap" competition to see what kind of players they are.

I agree that Ole Miss gets overhyped nearly every year, 2009 especially comes to mind, but Ole Miss has also not had a defense this good since I can remember. Certainly, we will know how good that defense actually is after this game, but even in the Alabama game last year, the defense played extremely well. Ole Miss' offense was the reason that Bama scored 25. You can't leave your defense out to dry the entire game. The defense played extremely well against LSU and won, and that was a very talented LSU offense. This defense is better. I watch Ole Miss football, and its been very evident in these first few games, again even against "crap" teams that the defense is improved.

Its hard not to look at Ole Miss' past and say this year will be more of the same. That's probably a safe bet, and most Ole Miss fans agree with that sentiment, mostly because they know better than to get their hopes up, but if Alabama scores 25+ again on Saturday I think it will be because of Ole Miss' offense, and not their defense. If the offense comes out and can move the ball enough to score a couple TDs and let their defense rest, I think it will be a tight game.

WT, it's not just my opinion on the Safeties. Cody Prewitt is a first-team All-America Safety. The only question, I guess, is whether Tony Conner is good, but if you even watched him last year, you already know the answer. Conner, by the way, was a composite 5-star Safety, a guy we would've killed for.

People can act like this is same-old-same-Ole Miss, but they have talent tripping all over itself on defense. They have three former 5-star recruits (CJ Johnson, Robert Nkemdiche, and Conner) and two more 4-star guys (Prewitt and Shackleford). That's just the starting lineup, which doesn't include guys like Channing Ward that we tried to land. It also doesn't mention All-SEC talents like crazy Denzel Nkemdiche, Senquez Golson (leading the SEC in INTs), or Serderius Bryant (who might also be insane). They have as much or more talent than Bama on that side of the ball. I'd take Ole Miss' Safeties and CBs over Bama's in an instant, and that's even considering the fact that Landon Collins may be Bama's best defender.

Archived