"I AM A RED-SKIN", by Ives Goddard, Senior Linguist, Smithsonian Institution

Elephant Tipper

This has been going on years before Obama was in the WH, its been going on since the 1970's.

You do know the Cherokee support the lawsuit.

But she notes that the many organizations supporting her lawsuit include the Cherokee, Comanche, Oneida and Seminole tribes, as well as the National Congress of American Indians, the largest intertribal organization, which represents more than 250 groups with a combined enrollment of 1.2 million.

http://bigstory.ap.o...k-redskins-slur

So what did your ancestors have to say about things, or what were the attitudes and thoughts of those that still live on reservations and participate in tribal meetings?

How about this...drop all references to redskin from the language. Also, eliminate reservations, tribal land, gambling exemptions, etc. Put them on the same footing with every other ethnic group in America.

One does not have to be of Native American descent to be offended or have a voice. I am white, but as I said previously, I would be offended if someone wanted to call their team the "Ni**rs" or the "Darkies". [somewhat inconsistently I suppose, personally I've never been particularly offended by "Redskins", but I would find it offensive if they called their cheerleaders "the Squaws". However, I've come to realize that "redskins' is offensive to many and am beginning to adjust my thinking about the term as a team name.]

Anyone, of any race, is within his/her rights to be upset by the name, to campaign to change the name, and to boycott the team financially, if they choose. What percentage of those happen to be of Native American descent is irrelevant. Should only Muslim opinions matter if some team wanted to call themselves "the Taliban"?

Ultimately, only the owners and/or the NFL have the authority to choose what name is used. However, they also have to accept any public animosity, negative publicity, or financial repercussions that might result from their choice of name.

One does not have to be of Native American descent to be offended or have a voice. I am white, but as I said previously, I would be offended if someone wanted to call their team the "Ni**rs" or the "Darkies". [somewhat inconsistently I suppose, personally I've never been particularly offended by "Redskins", but I would find it offensive if they called their cheerleaders "the Squaws". However, I've come to realize that "redskins' is offensive to many and am beginning to adjust my thinking about the term as a team name.]

Anyone, of any race, is within his/her rights to be upset by the name, to campaign to change the name, and to boycott the team financially, if they choose. What percentage of those happen to be of Native American descent is irrelevant. Should only Muslim opinions matter if some team wanted to call themselves "the Taliban"?

Ultimately, only the owners and/or the NFL have the authority to choose what name is used. However, they also have to accept any public animosity, negative publicity, or financial repercussions that might result from their choice of name.

I think they should all boycott the Redskins and refuse to watch them on TV. That'll show'em and in the process please just stfu about it. Choosing to be offended by things one cannot control doesn't give license to those to petition the govt to shut it down.

I think they should all boycott the Redskins and refuse to watch them on TV. That'll show'em and in the process please just stfu about it. Choosing to be offended by things one cannot control doesn't give license to those to petition the govt to shut it down.

You're right: It isn't choosing to be offended that gives such license, it's the First Amendment that gives license!

There may even be persons who aren't the least offended by the name themselves, but willing to campaign for a name change just in solidarity with those who are offended.

This has been going on years before Obama was in the WH, its been going on since the 1970's.

But she notes that the many organizations supporting her lawsuit include the Cherokee, Comanche, Oneida and Seminole tribes, as well as the National Congress of American Indians, the largest intertribal organization, which represents more than 250 groups with a combined enrollment of 1.2 million.

So what did your ancestors have to say about things, or what were the attitudes and thoughts of those that still live on reservations and participate in tribal meetings?

How about this...drop all references to redskin from the language. Also, eliminate reservations, tribal land, gambling exemptions, etc. Put them on the same footing with every other ethnic group in America.

Interesting idea. The federal Indian reservations are basically autonomous entities inside the the United States. Indians living there still get to vote in county, state, and federal elections and run for offices in those elections, but the reservations are subject to state and country laws in limited situations. The federally recognized tribes holds it own tribal elections and decides who gets to vote. If a crime happens on a Indian reservation the reservation police or the federal authorities (FBI, US Marshals) handle it.

http://www.justice.gov/otj/about-native-americans

I may be mistaken but, I think the point here is there are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT issues pressing than what to call a professional football team and this is simply a distraction from those more pressing issues.

And my point is that when it comes to Native American issues in this country there are always as you said much more important issues. IF you say hey things in the Middle East are more pressing... I would agree. When you say this is all just made up liberal bs to hide issues...this I don't agree with.

I may be mistaken but, I think the point here is there are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT issues pressing than what to call a professional football team and this is simply a distraction from those more pressing issues.

And my point is that when it comes to Native American issues in this country there are always as you said much more important issues. IF you say hey things in the Middle East are more pressing... I would agree. When you say this is all just made up liberal bs to hide issues...this I don't agree with.

Weird position to take just to "give the Redskins s***" because you're a Dallas fan. Look, suit yourself. Get as emotionally outraged and irrationally indignant til your heart is content if that is achievable, however, in this case I suspect it isn't. I have a great idea and its what I do when something offends me.....IGNORE IT. You'll be unbelievably surprised how little an affect the name of a professional football franchise will have on you.

Im sticking with my original position which is, this hardly merits the attention it is receiving when our President is assuring people Ebola is highly unlikely to come here and its here. That same President is half assed prosecuting anti-terrorism tactics that aren't working against an enemy he wont even correctly identify. So lets all get offended and righteously indignant over a football team's name thats been that way since 1932. :hellyeah:

Dallas part is a joke..; geez.

Why does one have to get emotionally outraged and irrational to support a idea. Mean if I was really gonna go that route then I would be asking for its removal from this board right now. People here freak out of Jesse and Al and gang all the time. I disagree with alot they do and like you suggest ignore them.

And didn't I say that if people would just simply say I think X and X is more important I would agree vs saying its all just something manufactured to cover stuff up.

Weird position to take just to "give the Redskins s***" because you're a Dallas fan. Look, suit yourself. Get as emotionally outraged and irrationally indignant til your heart is content if that is achievable, however, in this case I suspect it isn't. I have a great idea and its what I do when something offends me.....IGNORE IT. You'll be unbelievably surprised how little an affect the name of a professional football franchise will have on you.

Im sticking with my original position which is, this hardly merits the attention it is receiving when our President is assuring people Ebola is highly unlikely to come here and its here. That same President is half assed prosecuting anti-terrorism tactics that aren't working against an enemy he wont even correctly identify. So lets all get offended and righteously indignant over a football team's name thats been that way since 1932. :hellyeah:

Dallas part is a joke..; geez.

Why does one have to get emotionally outraged and irrational to support a idea. Mean if I was really gonna go that route then I would be asking for its removal from this board right now. People here freak out of Jesse and Al and gang all the time. I disagree with alot they do and like you suggest ignore them.

And didn't I say that if people would just simply say I think X and X is more important I would agree vs saying its all just something manufactured to cover stuff up.

The big problem is these people pushing this, if they are successful, will then move on to another target. These are the eternally offended. They get bolder and bolder with each success. Now the FCC is proposing to ban it from all broadcasts.

How dare American Indians decide what's offensive to them! We'll tell them what's offensive and what's not, and they'll like it.

I'm not offended and while I am somewhat white in the winter my skin changes to red/tan during the spring-fall due to my close relation to the Cherokee. Liberals don't have a one way track on making decisions of what is or isn't offensive.

ESPN is promoting tonight's NFL game as the "Seahawks vs. Redskins". Kinda surprised since that network tends to be overly politically correct.

Obviously they are part of the MSM conspiracy,

ESPN is promoting tonight's NFL game as the "Seahawks vs. Redskins". Kinda surprised since that network tends to be overly politically correct.

What conspiracy? Another utterly ridiculous red herring. It amazes me how you've so consistently fallen back on accusing people of constructing straw men when you're arguably the #1 offender.

How dare American Indians decide what's offensive to them! We'll tell them what's offensive and what's not, and they'll like it.

I'm not offended and while I am somewhat white in the winter my skin changes to red/tan during the spring-fall due to my close relation to the Cherokee. Liberals don't have a one way track on making decisions of what is or isn't offensive.

Apparently you didn't understand my post at all.

What conspiracy? Another utterly ridiculous red herring. It amazes me how you've so consistently fallen back on accusing people of constructing straw men when you're arguably the #1 offender.

I thought you guys believed in a "Main Stream Media" paradigm in which the majority of the press deliberately presented a liberal view of events? :dunno:

Apparently you didn't understand my post at all.

Which one? You have thousands....like me. :)/>

Which one? You have thousands....like me. :)

And as we all know:

EveryDirection_zps1b9ff56a.png

• 1 month later...

Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) introduced legislation to strip the NFL of tax-exempt status because of the name Redskin.

After promoting this legislation she stepped outside and lit up a fatty to celebrate D.C.'s new marijuana law saying "keep your hands off our marijuana laws". :no::ucrazy::laugh:

http://norton.house....cc-should-begin

As Native American Heritage Month Begins, Norton Says FCC Should Begin Proceedings to Ban Use of Washington Football Team on Broadcast TV and Radio

EXCERPT:

Nov 3, 2014

Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In recognition of Native American Heritage Month, which began on Saturday, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) today said that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) cannot ignore the official conclusion that the Washington football team’s name is derogatory, as found by the federal agency charged to make the decision, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She said that the FCC, after appropriate hearings, should use its precedent in deciding whether the use of the derogatory name by broadcast television and radio stations can continue. Earlier this month, the FCC announced that it is considering banning the on-air use of the team name by broadcasters. Last month, George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf III filed a petition with the FCC to prevent the renewal of a federal broadcast license to a local radio station that continues to use the team name. Banzhaf’s petition says the team name violates the FCC regulations against hate speech and indecency. In September, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said that he would not use the team name personally because it was derogatory, making him the second member of the commission to speak out about the team name. If the FCC finds the team name to be derogatory, all on-air broadcasters could be fined for the use of the name. "

Archived