Spotlight on C.J. Uzomah (La. Tech)

StatTiger

Through less than 4 seasons C.J. Uzomah has only been targeted 37 times but he has made the most of his opportunities. The senior tight end enters the LSU game with 20 career receptions, which have resulted in 16 first downs or touchdowns. 13 of his 20 receptions have resulted in an impact play or gain of 15-yards or more. Despite his ability to make plays, the tight end position in the Gus Malzahn offense has never been utilized much in the passing game until his offense arrives inside the red zone. This is where Uzomah has played at his best in terms of making critical receptions.

The play...

LT-UzomahTD_zpsf6d9de3a.jpg

On this play Auburn faces a 3rd & 4 from the La. Tech 15-yard line. Auburn comes out in a 3-WR set with C.J. Uzomah lined up as a slot receiver. At the snap Jeremy Johnson rolls to his left going through his progressions. Johnson initially sets his feet but doesn't like his options. He shifts outside the rolling pocket again just as the pressure arrives.

Johnson floats the ball towards the corner of the end zone away from the safety. The ball is placed in a space only C.J. Uzomah can make a play on it. Uzomah hauls in the pass, while shielding the safety away with his body. He taps his right foot down and drags his left toe to insure he remained in bounds for the score.

Uzomah won't likely be utilized as much as he should but will make his presence known once the Tigers move into the red zone.

i don't understand why we wait til we get to the redzone to use him. i mean c'mon duke, sammie(when he's healthy), and cj how can you go wrong?

I'm surprised we don't use him more like we did with lutz. I don't think a linebacker would be fast enough and he'll have a height advantage against a safety.

Did we use Lutz that much outside of the redzone? Honestly don't remember. He had so many memorable catches inside the 20, it might just obscure other moments in my aging brain.

We used him on middle seam routes and wheel routes. Especially when Cam was the qb

Gotcha, thanks. Either way, you guys are right- CJ's a big, fast athlete, and it seems he could be a weapon anywhere on the field.

He's big enough to line-up as a blocker...roll him off the D and throw him the ball.

He has good hands and is a huge target. And, we haven't been using him that much so he's not seen as a threat. Perhaps he's in the doghouse or had a poor summer/spring or something but I feel he is heavily under-utilized.

I love seeing him line up close to the o-line then goes out for a route. I specifically remember in the Arkansas game when he caught a pass on the 2 yard line, I saw the formation and said well this is a power run. had me fooled

So one play that was very effective for us last season that I dont recall seeing yet is the wheel route from the H-back spot. We go a couple of big plays to Prosh out of that. Wonder if we will see that any time soon?

He's played in what? 43 games throughout his career and has only been targeted 37 times. Maybe we should stop wondering why he doesn't get more looks. In 3.5 years, if he was the guy people think he is he would've gotten more passes thrown his way. Maybe the coaches (or his QBs) just don't think he's that reliable, and throw him a bone in the red zone because he has great size.

I mean, I don't get it either. He seldom drops passes, and had a really good catch against Arky that JJ zipped to him. Maybe with NM in the game the coaches don't think NM has the passing ability to hit the routes the TE runs in the offense. But to combat that the coaches would ensure he would get the ball if they felt he needed to get the ball for AU to have the best chance to win.

The fact that they throw to him at critical times in the Red zone shows they have faith in him. 24 catches when only target 37 times is pretty high percentage. The ones where he was targeted but did not catch was it bad passes not open or what?

I am like some others I think we need to use him more. TE passes also tend to be safer passes so could really open up the run game if he faked the block and caught more passes then the Linebackers would be easier to block as they would be a little more indecisive.

Archived