Oregon vs Arizona

WFE12

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the highlights on ESPN this morning, but couldn't tell much about that excessive celebration penalty. In the opinion of those who watched, did it have an effect on the outcome?

Score, give the ball to the ref, and then get to your sideline to celebrate with your teammates. The Gus Bus way and you won't get a penalty period.

"The Gus Bus way" is strategic. The sooner you give the ball back to the refs, the sooner you can run another play. Doesn't have much to do with sportsmanship.

Score, give the ball to the ref, and then get to your sideline to celebrate with your teammates. The Gus Bus way and you won't get a penalty period.

"The Gus Bus way" is strategic. The sooner you give the ball back to the refs, the sooner you can run another play. Doesn't have much to do with sportsmanship.

True and we don't know how much trash talking was going on during the game by the guilty guy. JMO but likely guys who run off and celebrate by themselves on the 50 probably have a mouth on them too. I could be wrong of course, but I bet the refs don't like the trash talking during a game 'cause sooner or later something is going to escalate.

You can tell I'm an old fart because I hate all the show-boating....prefer the Gus method...make the play, give the ball to the ref and get ready for the next one..and keep your mouth shut.

Our guys don't "keep their mouth shut" any more than other teams. I don't believe trash talking and showboating are in the same vein, personally. Trash talking happens on every play and does not stop throughout the course of the game.

Saw the highlights on ESPN this morning, but couldn't tell much about that excessive celebration penalty. In the opinion of those who watched, did it have an effect on the outcome?

If they didn't throw the flag Arizona would have kicked a pretty short FG and then Oregon would have gotten the ball back with a couple extra minutes to play with. I think Arizona still would have won. Afterall, they did force the turnover when Oregon got the ball back.

I think it should have been called but a lot of people apparently disagree. I'd love to know what those people think about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that was called on Arizona on Oregon's first drive of the second half. I didn't see a penalty there at all and no flag would have resulted in a 4th and 5 from the Arizona 23. They ended up scoring 7 on that drive.

We still do it after TD's where there is no next play, that's what I was referring to- but yes, we also get the ball to the ref quickly after non-scoring plays as well as a matter of strategy.

Helfrich looked like a drag queen with that light pink belt on.

I still don't get the obsession nationally with Oregon. So much (Nike) money, so much talent, so much hype with absolutely zip to show for it. They were ranked as high as #2 with a terrible O line. They have 3-4 injuries on their offensive front and it's cruel misfortune. We have the same and it's business as usual.

Helfrich looked like a drag queen with that light pink belt on.

I still don't get the obsession nationally with Oregon. So much (Nike) money, so much talent, so much hype with absolutely zip to show for it. They were ranked as high as #2 with a terrible O line. They have 3-4 injuries on their offensive front and it's cruel misfortune. We have the same and it's business as usual.

Everytime they showed the coach on the sideline I laughed and smh.

I'm the same. It's definitely a penalty, but in that spot, I thought it was a crap call. Swallow the whistle and let the two teams decide the game. Arizona was probably going to take the lead even after the sack, and it would've made Scooby's play even bigger. By rule, it's a penalty, no question. Personally, I hated the call. I was watching the game to see the guys perform on the field. Give the kid a warning and move on.

That's kind of how I felt as well. If it was earlier in the game then...yea but don't let a call like that decide the game. But at the same time players have to be smarter.

If you would call it earlier in the game, you call it later and vice-versa. And who knows if the call "earlier in a game" could make a deciding factor. Take the same situation at the end of the first half instead end of the game and say the teams play even score wise in the second half, then the call earlier in the game could affect the game just the same. Refs need to be consistent in calling equal to all teams. I do agree with another poster talking about all the hand raising and waving done by Oregon in the game could have been called as well. Maybe the refs told them to stop the waving and when this guy did the bow, it was enough over the top to throw the flag.

Well this was a great way to start a Friday. Good vibes are in the air!

Top ranked teams getting upset isn't a great way to start a weekend where we are a top ranked team ;)

I'll take the law of averages and this means that if on average 3 higher ranked teams get upset, then 1 of them is already taken care, hope 2 others happen before our games and we are okay!

Auburn just needs to take care of business and it will work its way out before the season is over. Win the SEC go to the playoff. Just that simple.

Our guys don't "keep their mouth shut" any more than other teams. I don't believe trash talking and showboating are in the same vein, personally. Trash talking happens on every play and does not stop throughout the course of the game.

That's true....and we have our show-boating too....and I still don't like it...but these are the times we are living in. ...though I do wonder if any Div 1 football player is intimidated by an opponent's trash talk....and whether this overt emotion really results in a higher level of play?

Celebration has in and of itself never really bothered me. I enjoyed Billy "white shoes" Johnson, Icky Woods, the fun bunch and others. Never liked Chad Johnson or the later showboat types.

Archived