Who starts at OL Danzey or Miller?

maxwere

My vote for Danzey.

He really kicked our OL into gear. It seems Young/Slade are a lot more comfortable in last years positions... much more aggression off the ball when they are on the right side. After seeing film of him in the game and the guys on the other side, I think Kozan is actually the bigger loss of Robinson, Prosch and Mason to the run game.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think it's Miller as long as he's healthy. As for missing Kozan... Absolutely! No disrespect meant to Dismukes, but I think Kozan is a born leader and Kozan's leadership is missed. IMO, he may leave AU as one of it's top 5 OL'men of all time when he's done.

Coleman - Danzey - Dismukes - Slade - Young

If Miller starts he is RT and Young to LG. Did not like Slade on left, Young on right at OG's.

Coleman - Danzey - Dismukes - Slade - Young

If Miller starts he is RT and Young to LG. Did not like Slade on left, Young on right at OG's.

Yeah i like that line-up for the rest of the year...i like Miller but at 290 and a little less athletic that line-up makes more sense

I think you play Danzey and it comes down to a Slade-Miller decision. Danzey blocks with determination and aggression. On replay he also showed he is a heck of a good pulling guard. I think our 4 best OL right now are Coleman, Danzey, Dismukes and Young so you want those 4 in there. Next comes Slade and Miller.

Leave the left side at Coleman, Danzey and Dismukes. Young on the right side at either RT or RG. There are 2 options.

Option #1: sit Miller (this is my choice):

lineup: LT-Coleman, LG-Danzey, C-Dismukes, RG-Slade, RT-Young

Slade was out of sync on the left side and plays much better on the right. Young is a better RT than Miller and Slade is also able to work best with him.

Option #2: sit Slade (this is not a good option and very doubtful of ever happening)

lineup: LT-Coleman, LG-Danzey, C-Dismukes, RG-Young, RT-Miller

Personally, I think it should be Danzey, regardless; I think Young can play guard, but that he is far more suited to tackle. The point of moving him to guard in the wake of Kozan's injury was to get the five best linemen on the field, and while I do believe that Miller might be better at tackle than Danzey is at guard, I also think Danzey and Slade are the two best (healthy) guards we have, meaning that the unit as a whole is better with Danzey at LG and Young at RT.

IronMan's idea of sitting Slade and starting Young at RG is an interesting one, but I hesitate to suggest sitting a fourth year starter, particularly when he and Reese have started almost every game for the last two and a half seasons side by side at RG and C.

Of course, this could be a moot point if Miller isn't healthy enough to go on Saturday.

Gray King

Wade Christopher is considering coming back...

Guest jojo1515

I got an idea.....if a guy is hurt, play the backup in his position rather than moving everybody on the line to a new position and destroying the chemistry...crazy I know

I don't remember who I was watching on the line through my beer goggles last Saturday toward the end of the game, but that line looked to me like the line that could gel into something special.

I got an idea.....if a guy is hurt, play the backup in his position rather than moving everybody on the line to a new position and destroying the chemistry...crazy I know

I sort of agree. Pre-season everybody was going ooh and ahh over our returning starters on the O-line, but all except Dismukes were at a new position. It makes a difference.

I can assure you that Gus nor Grimes will sit a healthy Slade. I am sure they consider him one of their better OLs. He probably is more comfortable at RG but the reason they moved him to LG was he was the best they had at the moment. Gus said earlier this year that Chad was only one versatile enough to play anywhere on the line. I know there are a lot of experts on this board but I think I will go with JB's pick. WDE

Whichever line up has the best chemistry and can play better than the last two games. Our woes in the running game are in a big part due to the o-line. If we can have the running attack we're used to seeing from auburn we will have a field day against lsu

Did anybody watch Gameday where they analyzed our run game & why it has been sluggish? We miss prosch so much. Fulse has missed blocks, and just hasn't executed.

One more time, Coleman - Danzey - Dismukes - Slade - Young. They were getting a push last week.

Note: Avery Young is our most versatile OL currently. Slade may know what to do at every OL position. But if he were our most versatile OL, we would be in trouble.

TAYLORS - And up until around Game 5 last year Jay was struggling with the same issues. Things will develop, and we will find our niche`.

Certainly a fair point, but considering that it wasn't a midseason move, seeing as we've known Kozan would be out, it's not a bad idea to try to get the five best on the field. I think it depends on the unit, because I imagine with the right versatility in the linemen, they could handle it...but in this case, and probably most cases, I think you're absolutely right.

:bow: I've really enjoyed this thread everyone. For someone not as knowledgeable as ya'll, this has been a real primer on our line. Love listing the names by position in a horizontal line. Thanks Dixie for that touch.

We should do this thread before every game.

Question: Do all of you guys study film from each game or re-view the original broadcast in slo-mo?

:bow: I've really enjoyed this thread everyone. For someone not as knowledgeable as ya'll, this has been a real primer on our line. Love listing the names by position in a horizontal line. Thanks Dixie for that touch.

We should do this thread before every game.

Question: Do all of you guys study film from each game or re-view the original broadcast in slo-mo?

You miss 50% of the game if you don't watch the OL and DL. You can't pick up all the minute details live during the game so the best way to see it is to watch the lines on replay. I'm sure several of us do that. My particular interest is breaking down the play of the OL, it's something I've been doing for years. You should try it, you will be surprised what you will see.

Archived