Who starts at OL Danzey or Miller?

maxwere

Coleman - Danzey - Dismukes - Slade - Young

This!

Yep

This is what I'd like to see. Not that Miller is worse than Danzey or doesn't deserve to start, but Young has struggled at times playing guard and is much better at tackle.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coleman - Danzey - Dismukes - Slade - Young

This!

Yep

This is what I'd like to see. Not that Miller is worse than Danzey or doesn't deserve to start, but Young has struggled at times playing guard and is much better at tackle.

..... and that is the starting lineup.

I like Pat. He's a good player and has worked his tail off. For the second year in a row, a minor injury should lose his job. The starting group tonight should stay together. Everything clicked better.

If it means Slade stays at RG....start Danzey. I think Danzey has done a good job....more consistent than Miller but Miller is probably a little more talented.

I can assure you that Gus nor Grimes will sit a healthy Slade. I am sure they consider him one of their better OLs. He probably is more comfortable at RG but the reason they moved him to LG was he was the best they had at the moment. Gus said earlier this year that Chad was only one versatile enough to play anywhere on the line. I know there are a lot of experts on this board but I think I will go with JB's pick. WDE

Said that before the season. If Slade is healthy...he's starting...no question about that. I don't have a problem with it...never did...just rather he stayed at RG.

:bow: I've really enjoyed this thread everyone. For someone not as knowledgeable as ya'll, this has been a real primer on our line. Love listing the names by position in a horizontal line. Thanks Dixie for that touch.

We should do this thread before every game.

Question: Do all of you guys study film from each game or re-view the original broadcast in slo-mo?

You miss 50% of the game if you don't watch the OL and DL. You can't pick up all the minute details live during the game so the best way to see it is to watch the lines on replay. I'm sure several of us do that. My particular interest is breaking down the play of the OL, it's something I've been doing for years. You should try it, you will be surprised what you will see.

Oh I know how to watch a game. By "knowledgeable" I meant knowledge of our personnel.

I generally focus on the guards as the first indicator of what the play will be, and continue to watch from the line play out. Of course, I am talking TV for the most part. I realize you can see much more from being at the game.

But IMO, that provides only a sense of overall blocking. You can't really evaluate individual assignments without looking at replays or watching a particular position, one at a time. The discussions in this thread sound as if people are watching re-plays. (Or maybe they are just talking as if they really know? ;) )

replay is the only way i can see a particular olineman performance. My 9 yr old is playing football this year and is on Oline and Dline. i focus on him most plays and it is easier to see two things at once if you watch inside out but i only do it because it is my kid. on tv or at a game i watch the backfield.

replay is the only way i can see a particular olineman performance. My 9 yr old is playing football this year and is on Oline and Dline. i focus on him most plays and it is easier to see two things at once if you watch inside out but i only do it because it is my kid. on tv or at a game i watch the backfield.

Yeah, after I watch to see what the guards do, I look for the ball.

So what was 2013 starting line up, what was the beginning of this years, and what was the line-up for LSU. Trying to see how the chemistry/personnel has changed.

The lineup in 2013 changed mid-season. We started with Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Miller. I can't recall exactly what happened, but basically, Pat either had a minor injury or got into the doghouse and lost his starting job to Young. We clicked (like never before) and finished with Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Young.

In the off-season, we lost Robinson to the NFL, and Kozan to back surgery.

Coleman won the open LT job. We moved Slade to LG to fill the Kozan void; then kicked Young inside to make room for Miller. We started this season with Coleman-Slade-Dismukes-Young-Miller. Then before the LaTech game, we flipped the guards because it just wasn't clicking. The starting group for that game was Coleman-Young-Dismukes-Slade-Miller. During that game, Pat got hurt. We kicked Avery Young back to RT (he's now started at three spots this year) and brought Danzey into the LG spot.

We started the LSU game with the same group: Coleman-Danzey-Dismukes-Slade-Young. That's the same right side of the line as we finished with in 2013. I thought everything looked just a little cleaner and more cohesive. For whatever reason, Slade and Young play well off each other. That's why I'd stick with this five even though I think Miller is one of our five best offensive linemen.

The lineup in 2013 changed mid-season. We started with Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Miller. I can't recall exactly what happened, but basically, Pat either had a minor injury or got into the doghouse and lost his starting job to Young. We clicked (like never before) and finished with Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Young.

Coleman won the open LT job. We moved Slade to LG to fill the Kozan void; then kicked Young inside to make room for Miller. We started this season with Coleman-Slade-Dismukes-Young-Miller. Then before the LaTech game, we flipped the guards because it just wasn't clicking. The starting group for that game was Coleman-Young-Dismukes-Slade-Miller. During that game, Pat got hurt. We kicked Avery Young back to RT (he's now started at three spots this year) and brought Danzey into the LG spot.

We started the LSU game with the same group: Coleman-Danzey-Dismukes-Slade-Young. That's the same right side of the line as we finished with in 2013. I thought everything looked just a little cleaner and more cohesive. For whatever reason, Slade and Young play well off each other. That's why I'd stick with this five even though I think Miller is one of our five best offensive linemen.

Nicely explained. I agree...I really like the current line up. I went backed and watched the game and particularly the Oline and Danzey. He has done a really good job and of course everyone knows i'd rather have Slade back at RG so I really like the current line up even if Miller is healthy to go.

I don't recall Coleman winning the competition but Miller was moved to shuffle for the loss of Kozan. Most of us were pulling for him though.

Thanks for the breakdown. It seems there is a fine line of having your "best 5" out there vs your "best 4" in their preferred position. That's a good bit of movement since the end of 2013.

:bow: I've really enjoyed this thread everyone. For someone not as knowledgeable as ya'll, this has been a real primer on our line. Love listing the names by position in a horizontal line. Thanks Dixie for that touch.

We should do this thread before every game.

Question: Do all of you guys study film from each game or re-view the original broadcast in slo-mo?

You miss 50% of the game if you don't watch the OL and DL. You can't pick up all the minute details live during the game so the best way to see it is to watch the lines on replay. I'm sure several of us do that. My particular interest is breaking down the play of the OL, it's something I've been doing for years. You should try it, you will be surprised what you will see.

Oh I know how to watch a game. By "knowledgeable" I meant knowledge of our personnel.

I generally focus on the guards as the first indicator of what the play will be, and continue to watch from the line play out. Of course, I am talking TV for the most part. I realize you can see much more from being at the game.

But IMO, that provides only a sense of overall blocking. You can't really evaluate individual assignments without looking at replays or watching a particular position, one at a time. The discussions in this thread sound as if people are watching re-plays. (Or maybe they are just talking as if they really know? ;) )

Of course I meant "you" in the generic sense "and everything that goes with that" (channeling my inner Gus). But no, it's actually something I've been doing every week for a long time now. Watching the OL/DL on replay, using slo-mo and pause is the only way to pick up the detail I want. I am sure others do the same.

alexava, I'm not sure what distinction you're talking about. Miller and Coleman were both working at LT, but as I recall, Coleman received the bulk of the first-team reps in fall practice. He took that job. The next domino was whether Young would remain at RT or move inside. They moved him in to get Miller on the field.

hiker, I think the distinction is: Miller is individually one of our five best, but the offensive line (more than any other unit) only works as a collective. For a variety of reasons, I'd say our best five do not include Miller, despite his talent.

alexava, I'm not sure what distinction you're talking about. Miller and Coleman were both working at LT, but as I recall, Coleman received the bulk of the first-team reps in fall practice. He took that job. The next domino was whether Young would remain at RT or move inside. They moved him in to get Miller on the field.

hiker, I think the distinction is: Miller is individually one of our five best, but the offensive line (more than any other unit) only works as a collective. For a variety of reasons, I'd say our best five do not include Miller, despite his talent.

going back to spring competition was on going. Kozan out then Young moves inside and Miller to the right. Just my recollection but i never heard the announcement that coleman beat out miller for LT.

That's fair. Just seemed to me if Miller was the one moved over, Coleman was the better fit at LT, but it's certainly possible that Miller was just the more versatile guy.

That's fair. Just seemed to me if Miller was the one moved over, Coleman was the better fit at LT, but it's certainly possible that Miller was just the more versatile guy.

Maybe right. i liked the allignment with coleman at right tight end and CJ as elligible LT! would be cool to see Shon get to catch a pass like that too.

Danzey is the most explosive guard. He gives us more physicality and finishes people. That's a really good pairing with Coleman. Avery is a tackle playing guard, that position just doesn't seem to maximize his ability.

Also shout out to Caps pass pro. That's been an upgrade over mason.

Archived