So Ebola and Big Pharmacy...In Bed Together?

Texan4Auburn

No links, just good ole hey what if for the fun of it?

Would anyone really be surprised if big pharm. got Ebola into the US just for the means of profiting? I wouldn't put it past them myself. Would be a ton of $$$$ involved.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Follow the money...

#1 Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR)

#2 BioCryst Pharmacuticals (BCRX)

#3 Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT)

#4 NewLink Genetics (NLNK)

#5 Lakeland Industries (LAKE)

http://www.naturalnews.com/046946_Ebola_outbreak_vaccines_patents.html

Not sure how credible the link is, etc, etc, but if it's all true it's sad.

Follow the money...

#1 Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR)

#2 BioCryst Pharmacuticals (BCRX)

#3 Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT)

#4 NewLink Genetics (NLNK)

#5 Lakeland Industries (LAKE)

http://www.naturalne...es_patents.html

Not sure how credible the link is, etc, etc, but if it's all true it's sad.

That link is not credible at all. Fun if you love keeping up with quackery, but bat**** insane.

If they were really doing this,the executives would be risking murder and attempted murder changes among others. It sounds like a plot out of science fiction movie.

If they were really doing this,the executives would be risking murder and attempted murder changes among others. It sounds like a plot out of science fiction movie.

You don't think American lives are expendable to some big executives looking to make a $$$$. Hell, Bentley wont even expand medicaid benefits that would save about 1000 lives, create jobs, and bring in revenue in his own state cause he is hellbent on defeating the ACA. Though I also suspect he is getting some nice benefits from BCBS of Alabama also.

You don't think American lives are expendable to some big executives looking to make a $$$$. Hell, Bentley wont even expand medicaid benefits that would save about 1000 lives, create jobs, and bring in revenue in his own state cause he is hellbent on defeating the ACA. Though I also suspect he is getting some nice benefits from BCBS of Alabama also.

You left out one important detail. The supposed revenue you referred to is short lived and then after Medicaid is expanded and cannot be rescinded, the state is on its own. Only in America is someone called a crook for exercising long term fsical sanity in their decision making process.

As far as the OP goes, i dont see Big Pharma being a party to getting ebola inside the US but their profiteering has been well documented. When Big Pharma, Congress, the AMA and the FDA unite the American people will almost invariably be put at risk in some way every time. Also, IMO, the fact that Big Pharma fields THE largest contingency of lobbyists in DC is also problematic.

This is a pretty good piece on Big Pharma and their involvement in Washington;

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/02/11/12175/opinion-big-pharmas-stranglehold-washington

Businesses are held to criminal and civil law at state and federal level. If an AG could prove the drug companies were doing that, they would be all over them. AGs like to go after unpopular big businesses like drug, insurance, utility, etc companies. Voters just love it.

Even if the governor agreed to expand medical care welfare, yes that is what it, Medicaid, EBT, etc are just cover names for welfare transfer payments, tax payers have to fund it. If the voters want more welfare handed out they'll elect politicians and continue to elect politicians who'll do it. Or people can move to a high tax high welfare benefits state somewhere.

You left out one important detail. The supposed revenue you referred to is short lived and then after Medicaid is expanded and cannot be rescinded, the state is on its own. Only in America is someone called a crook for exercising long term fsical sanity in their decision making process.

As far as the OP goes, i dont see Big Pharma being a party to getting ebola inside the US but their profiteering has been well documented. When Big Pharma, Congress, the AMA and the FDA unite the American people will almost invariably be put at risk in some way every time. Also, IMO, the fact that Big Pharma fields THE largest contingency of lobbyists in DC is also problematic.

http://www.publicint...hold-washington

The revenue depends on who's study you go with. UAB's or Troys.

Though there have been rumors since March that Bentley will expand it after he is elected again. He has supposedly been making promises to those in the health care field that he will, namely the hospitals in Alabama that are all over him about wanting it done.

Though there have been rumors since March that Bentley will expand it after he is elected again. He has supposedly been making promises to those in the health care field that he will, namely the hospitals in Alabama that are all over him about wanting it done.

MediCaid is funded with state revenues. It was stipulated by O-care the federal govt would prop up the growth of the program but the revenue promised is not permanent funding regardless of whose study you look at. Once those short term federal funds dry up, the state is on its own to support the expanded benefits provided by the program.

Yeah. Who do they think they are - investment bankers? :-\

Yeah. Who do they think they are - investment bankers? :-\/>

Maybe FOO (friend of Obama)

MediCaid is funded with state revenues. It was stipulated by O-care the federal govt would prop up the growth of the program but the revenue promised is not permanent funding regardless of whose study you look at. Once those short term federal funds dry up, the state is on its own to support the expanded benefits provided by the program.

It's the same as the 100,000 cops deal Clinton did. After the federal money stopped the cities and states were on the hook.

Big Pharmaceutical companies have been accused of a lot of things but geez. I think I see now why your thinking on health care issues is the way it is.

Cooltigger21, I agree. This is one of the most repulsive posts I have ever seen on this Forum. To blindly accuse a group of people of killing other Americans for profit with no proof is despicable. I'm shocked the post has not been removed by the admins.

Big Pharmaceutical companies have been accused of a lot of things but geez. I think I see now why your thinking on health care issues is the way it is.

Cooltigger21, I agree. This is one of the most repulsive posts I have ever seen on this Forum. To blindly accuse a group of people of killing other Americans for profit with no proof is despicable. I'm shocked the post has not been removed by the admins.

It was serious? :gofig:

Can you make a coherent sentence? If by "It", you mean Texas4Auburn, the OP has no link.

Homer I believe he was absolutely serious with that.

Can you make a coherent sentence? If by "It", you mean Texas4Auburn, the OP has no link.

I think you have your own definition of "coherent."

Homer I believe he was absolutely serious with that.

I hope he was just being satirical.

war breaks out, and there's folks who have weapons to sell, blame them for the war ?

and so it goes for 'big pharma ' ?

Yeah, because the worst thing in the world is that anyone would dare PROFIT in a disaster or crisis.

It was stated no proof, just for fun lets say what if. Sorry, discussions of this nature are not allowed?

But if you want to be offended fine.

Lets look at GlaxoSmithKline and its 3 billion dollar lawsuit involving Paxil and Wellbutrin for populations and conditions that it was not approved for. Namely Paxil in children and adolescents under the age of 18 which they knew the drug could increase/cause suicide thoughts and increase violence. They did so with a false report and then used that report and other tactics to encourage doctors to prescribe paxil to this age group.

GlaxoSmithKline was promoting the drug for use by teenagers even though it had never been cleared by the FDA for anyone under 18. The company also knew—but hadn’t revealed to doctors and patients—that, in some children, Paxil seemed to magnify their distress and increase their risk of thinking about or attempting suicide. GSK also seemed to be manipulating data from its clinical trials to minimize the number of suicides or attempts that might be blamed on its pills—“cooking the books,” in the words of a former Navy lawyer who took on the British pharma giant.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robwaters/2012/07/12/glaxosmithklines-3-billion-hit-deterrent-or-business-expense/

So I would count the above as killing Americans with the desire for profit.

Even one of the scientist currently working on a vaccine states that profit is the name of the game when it comes to Big Pharm"

According to Hill, vaccine production is dominated by ''four or five mega- companies – GSK [GlaxoSmithKline], Sanofi, Merck, Pfizer – some of the biggest companies in the world'."

"The problem with that is, even if you've got a way of making a vaccine, unless there's a big market, it's not worth the while of a mega-company… There was no business case to make an Ebola vaccine for the people who needed it most." For Hill, the lack of profitability is also due to the fact that the affect live in ''some of the poorest countries in the world and can't afford to pay for a new vaccine."

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Leading-Scientist-Slams-Big-Pharma-for-not-Developing-Ebola-Vaccine-in-Time-20140907-0013.html

So no $$$$, no vaccine even though they could have made one. So they could save people, but its not profitable to do that. So they let them die. Isn't that just as bad if we are going to take the moral high ground and start calling individuals repulsive and despicable. How many people have and will die because Big Pharm thought only with their wallets.

The break of this has of course lead to ethical concerns on the release of the vaccines, as they will be severely fast tracked:

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-grapple-ethics-rush-release-ebola-vaccines-135816919--finance.html;_ylt=A0LEVwkCOjNUOo0AAkdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZjlsYjF2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDUwOV8x

And look who is right back at the front of the line:

A clinical trial of an experimental vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus is set to start shortly, according to British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline, which is co-developing the product with U.S. scientists.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101909486

Toss this in just for fun and entertainment.... wonder who they are referring to:

Don’t think for one minute that there aren’t insane or dishonest people in the drug industry who would consider attempting a deliberate release of this virus. This is a business that is immersed in repeated criminal behavior and unethical acts. You should note that one of the main companies involved in the research of the Ebola vaccine has a criminal record of committing felony crimes. That’s plural, crimes.

http://naturalon.com/ebola-vaccine-becoming-a-virtual-gold-rush/view-all/

Think GSK makes this a legitimate question.

Well yes profit is a motive. What of it? Are they supposed to lose money and just give everything away?

You tell me.....I suggested profit and motive go together and was called repulsive and despicable.

So if we are going to turn it into some moral high ground thing.... then yes. They should of lost money and gave it away and then there would already be a solution to this problem.

If we are sticking to profit is a motive, then it is fair to question a company that has already demonstrated highly unethical conduct in regards to lives for profit.

"it" = the original post

As in, "the original post was serious?"

Seems intuitive to me. But if you need further explanation, don't hesitate to ask. (I prefer that over a stupid insult.)

Besides, a much better example would be the manufacturers of protective garments and their suppliers of such stuff as the disposable non-wovens and coated non-wovens they are made from. (I have a little experience in this field.)

Everyone talks about the need for doctors and RN's. Right now, this "war" is centered around protective materials as much as anything, except for education and training. This is one of the main reasons Ebola is running wild in Africa. All they have to provide volunteers is boots and gloves. It's a joke.

If our (meaning the third world) capacity for these materials is not running balls-out, it is a sin.

Archived