10 (mainly) positive observations

Dual-Threat Rigby

For those of you that wanted to keep the pedal down, I have a question. We play MSU next week and it will arguably be our toughest game all year, so why give them more film? I know people will say they already have film on us, but more film equates to more opportunities for revelations about your opponent. Gus did right. Secure the win and shorten the game.

What would we have had to show them? When we used any tempo at all/used more than a designed handoff, we could score.

edit: why was my name edited from the thread title? It went along with the positive thing

Its not necessarily what they would see, it more about tendencies. As in what we run in regards to down and distance. The more data points you have the more accurate your scheme can become.

My take... Anybody worried about "keeping the pedal down"..... Did you take a look at the AU DEFENSE during the 2nd half. I'd say that THEY kept the pedal down!! .....and hasn't that been something that many (if not most) of us have been looking for FOR YEARS!??!??!

We even kept LSWho out of the end zone to prevent those pesky little "garbage points" that aTm got against MSU...

I'm 100% satisfied with the total AU performance yesterday.

I guess I am like a coach. I am pleased but always see areas where things can improve.

Guest jojo1515

Well, myself, I think we got conserative in the 2nd half, just get the game over & don't show any thing else. Gus knew we had the game in hand at half.

This and work on a few items. That is why the last scoring drive with NM and CAP still in - working on improving some issues.

That drive was 100 percent about proving to everyone (including ourselves) that we can still score just by running the ball on every play. Now that we have confidence again in our rushing attack to take control of a game, added with our almost unstoppable passing game coupled with a top 10 defense we are a very scary team.

For those of you that wanted to keep the pedal down, I have a question. We play MSU next week and it will arguably be our toughest game all year, so why give them more film? I know people will say they already have film on us, but more film equates to more opportunities for revelations about your opponent. Gus did right. Secure the win and shorten the game.

What would we have had to show them? When we used any tempo at all/used more than a designed handoff, we could score.

edit: why was my name edited from the thread title? It went along with the positive thing

Its not necessarily what they would see, it more about tendencies. As in what we run in regards to down and distance. The more data points you have the more accurate your scheme can become.

My take... Anybody worried about "keeping the pedal down"..... Did you take a look at the AU DEFENSE during the 2nd half. I'd say that THEY kept the pedal down!! .....and hasn't that been something that many (if not most) of us have been looking for FOR YEARS!??!??!

We even kept LSWho out of the end zone to prevent those pesky little "garbage points" that aTm got against MSU...

I'm 100% satisfied with the total AU performance yesterday.

I guess I am like a coach. I am pleased but always see areas where things can improve.

I agree with you on that. I'm definitely not saying that AU played a 100% perfect game. Just that, for this week at least, I have nothing to complain about.

Gus took his foot off the offensive pedal and let the defense take over and put the game away. And they shut LSU out in the second half.

I was disappointed we let LSU score that one TD. A shutout would have been epic. Oh, the feeling of having a solid defense again!

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE WE COULD GIVE THE GAME TO THE DEFENSE TO WIN IT?

I'm completely thrilled with the game on all fronts. You can always pick out places for improvement but that is true with even the most complete team.

Gus took his foot off the offensive pedal and let the defense take over and put the game away. And they shut LSU out in the second half.

I was disappointed we let LSU score that one TD. A shutout would have been epic. Oh, the feeling of having a solid defense again!

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE WE COULD GIVE THE GAME TO THE DEFENSE TO WIN IT?

I'm completely thrilled with the game on all fronts. You can always pick out places for improvement but that is true with even the most complete team.

Now that is the best part. The offense doesn't have to score every time. The defense is now a positive force. They can hold a lead for us.

To the OPs comment #3, it may be the 3rd QTR lulls are a function of the opponent adjusting to what we did in the first half and it takes a QTR or so for our offense to compensate. Much like we have been making good second half defensive adjustments.

To the OPs comment #3, it may be the 3rd QTR lulls are a function of the opponent adjusting to what we did in the first half and it takes a QTR or so for our offense to compensate. Much like we have been making good second half defensive adjustments.

Its just odd that the other team makes adjustments and Malzahn stops calling everything that's worked

didn't expect those two to combine

It's looked possible most weeks, but against LSU we seriously might've ran that inside draw to CAP on first down *every single* series in the third quarter. It really, really felt like Gus knew that he was going to be facing 2nd and long on every series, and he was just willing to deal with that for whatever reason. Practice? Keeping the playbook shut? Who knows. It was weird.

I appreciate the balance in perspective but also take issue with the "relatively bad" point.

I think one could say many and possibly most OLs ever fielded in NCAA competition are "relatively bad" compared.to AU 2013 OL.

I would suggest "not as great".

Optimism might say "not as great yet".

I agree...i think our OL played their best game so far this season and are only gonna get better...i like this line-up cause it puts everyone in their natural positions...i think Saturday's line is our biggest and most athletic...i just don't see how you can move Young back to guard when Pat MIller returns when he has played so well at tackle

It's looked possible most weeks, but against LSU we seriously might've ran that inside draw to CAP on first down *every single* series in the third quarter. It really, really felt like Gus knew that he was going to be facing 2nd and long on every series, and he was just willing to deal with that for whatever reason. Practice? Keeping the playbook shut? Who knows. It was weird.

Maybe he is using that as a way to put the team in certain game situations? Eventually that run is gonna bust loose and if it doesn't at least the team knows how to find ways to convert in those instances.

I appreciate the balance in perspective but also take issue with the "relatively bad" point.

I think one could say many and possibly most OLs ever fielded in NCAA competition are "relatively bad" compared.to AU 2013 OL.

I agree...i think our OL played their best game so far this season and are only gonna get better...i like this line-up cause it puts everyone in their natural positions...i think Saturday's line is our biggest and most athletic...i just don't see how you can move Young back to guard when Pat MIller returns when he has played so well at tackle

I think there would be more of a chance for Miller to get back in competition with Coleman.

I think there would be more of a chance for Miller to get back in competition with Coleman.

I don't think so...Miller's not big or athletic enough to man that left tackle spot...you're usually going up against the best defensive ends in the league...Miller has shown he can barely man the right tackle spot...no knock against Miller but i just think the line-up we have now gives us our best chance to win

I wanted to throw up for thr first half of the 3rd quarter. Handoff to CAP for little gain. Handoff to CAP for little gain. Pass incomplete. Punt. Its alot easier to run the clock out when your offense has the ball. I felt that at any moment LSU was going to get back in the game. Big credit goes to our defense for keeping LSU out of the game. Then Marshall started keeping and the O started clicking again.

It felt like Gus was trying to run clock and simultaneously prevent a QB controversy. I didn't see what the point of keeping our starting QB out there if we weren't trying to score.

I don't think so...Miller's not big or athletic enough to man that left tackle spot...you're usually going up against the best defensive ends in the league...Miller has shown he can barely man the right tackle spot...no knock against Miller but i just think the line-up we have now gives us our best chance to win

i dont argue with that but danzey LG and sladeRG seem like a fit.

To get 3K, we'd have to have a huge increase in OL play

Through 5 games, we are averaging 268 yards per game rushing. 268 x 12 = 3216. It would seem math is not your strong suit.

I was really impressed with Nick and his passes Saturday. He threw a dime to Duke that Duke dropped, but he was phenomenal in his accuracy against LSU.

Through 5 games, we are averaging 268 yards per game rushing. 268 x 12 = 3216. It would seem math is not your strong suit.

Yeah against San Jose, Arkansas, and LSU

The best team we faced we got 200 if I rememer correctly. I definitely don't expect 3000, especially if this balance thing remains true

It's not his only fail in this thread. Through 5 games in 2013 we had 1211 yards rushing and 922 yards passing. Through 5 games in 2014 we have 1340 yards rushing and 1146 yards passing.

It's not his only fail in this thread. Through 5 games in 2013 we had 1211 yards rushing and 922 yards passing. Through 5 games in 2014 we have 1340 yards rushing and 1146 yards passing.

Yeah that's good, show me our performance against the only great team we've played again?

I remember we got 358 combined yards

It's great to reference stats against terrible defenses like LSU and San Jose State but to patronize my views and opinions is unnecessary. As I already said, if you think that you can do it better, then you do it.

The stats make interesting discussion but the objective is to win the game....just ask the bammers....I believe they won most of the stats...Ole Siss tore down the goal post. If we want to look at stats, guess I would be looking at the Delta between AU and the opponents and not just total yards or comparisons to last season.

Archived