Neat trick play by TCU on kickoff

cooltigger21

Well, while its a nicely designed play, its illegal at least at the high school level. It's considered illegal participation.

Rule 9-6-4

It is Illegal Participation:

e: For a player to be lying on the ground to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick. penalty 15 yards...

I can't find it specifically in the college rules, but if nothing else its unsportsmanlike conduct to deceive opponents. I would enforce it under UNFAIR ACTS.

d. An obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs during

the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II).

PENALTY—The referee may take any action he considers equitable,

which includes directing that the down be repeated, including

assessing a 15-yard penalty, awarding a score, or suspending or

forfeiting the game [s27].

If you notice, it appears the player didn't lie down until after the ball was kicked. Legal play in my book. Had the player been rolling around, faking an injury or something like that, I could see the play being ruled illegal.

Maybe we could "borrow" this play. Would love to see Quan get the kick, sprint toward the sideline, and throw back to Grant or Roc, and let them burn it up the other side of the field.

If you notice, it appears the player didn't lie down until after the ball was kicked. Legal play in my book. Had the player been rolling around, faking an injury or something like that, I could the play being ruled illegal.

Maybe we could "borrow" this play. Would love to see Quan get the kick, sprint toward the sideline, and throw back to Grant or Roc, and let them burn it up the other side of the field.

If he had been "injured" whether faking or not the play wouldn't have been allowed to happen. It's the absolute definition of deceiving opponents and its illegal.

If you notice, it appears the player didn't lie down until after the ball was kicked. Legal play in my book. Had the player been rolling around, faking an injury or something like that, I could the play being ruled illegal.

If he had been "injured" whether faking or not the play wouldn't have been allowed to happen. It's the absolute definition of deceiving opponents and its illegal.

I agree, which is why I said "Had the player....". He wasn't, so I don't see anything wrong with this play. Could have served the same purpose if he play-acted tripping and falling down, then jumped back up in time to catch the pass.

If you notice, it appears the player didn't lie down until after the ball was kicked. Legal play in my book. Had the player been rolling around, faking an injury or something like that, I could see the play being ruled illegal.

It does appear that as the ball was kicked he on the way down. He was not laying down before the kick. Obviously, it was legal because the penalty was not illegal participation.

Archived