Punting...still pretty ugly

boisnumber1

I guess the best solution would be just score everytime so we do not have to punt but that's not very realistic. Just not SEC caliber at punting so really need to focus even harder on the punt return defense. Hope someone can start clicking in this area, would hate to have PUNTING cost us a close game.

I didn't think it was too bad. Carlson averaged 41 yrds per punt (3) and only one was returned (for 10 yds). It's not world beating stuff, but it's serviceable. Hutch's punt wasn't a boomer, but it still pinned them inside the 20?

Your expectations are probably really high after watching Clark last season. While we may not be pinning teams on the 3 with every other punt I think we've still done fine.

Your expectations are probably really high after watching Clark last season. While we may not be pinning teams on the 3 with every other punt I think we've still done fine.

Like many other aspects of our game yesterday, this was probably our best punting performance, so far this season.

Keep working boys, keep practicing!!

Seems like someone is being nit picky to find something to complain about. 2 of the 4 punts yesterday were downed inside the 20.. Certainly not ugly.

****Seems like someone is being nit picky to find something to complain about. 2 of the 4 punts yesterday were downed inside the 20.. Certainly not ugly.***

I am not being nit picky. It's called an opinion. Sounds more like you want to be a jerk and call someone out for posting their opinion. Punting is definitely SEC caliber, looks good, and surely nothing to worry about. There, you happy now? Why are there always these goofballs on message boards with thousands of posts that think they have to correct everyone who sees something different than they do? You must have come straight from that Scout site. It is full of that exact type. For the record, I think our punting will be ok because of our offense. We usually move the ball some so we are punting from at least our 40 or better. If we were to get in a field position battles type game(which we may not), where we keep getting pinned deep, this is not the punting team I would want to have. Honestly, that may never happen.

its a message board. A lot of time i dont agree with W.T but he's allowed his opinion just like you are. We get spoiled with the way things are and when players move on just think its going to pick up where it left off. This, the run game, etc. Some on here look for the negative, some look at the positive.

****Seems like someone is being nit picky to find something to complain about. 2 of the 4 punts yesterday were downed inside the 20.. Certainly not ugly.***

I am not being nit picky. It's called an opinion. Sounds more like you want to be a jerk and call someone out for posting their opinion.

Isn't that the WarTiger MO?

I'm bored so I ran some numbers.

We've punted 19 times this season for 764 yards. That's 40.21 yards per punt. 6 of the 19 have been downed inside the 20.

Breaking it down by punter:

Carlson: 16 punts, 42 yards per punt, 3 downed inside the 20.

Shiel: 2 punts, 31 yards per punt, 2 downed inside the 20

Hutchinson: 1 punt for 29 yards and downed inside the 20

It seems that the coaches may have decided that Shiel/Hutchingson will be the short guys with Carlson getting the opportunity when we need to boom one.

I have zero complaints about our punting efforts.

Overall Carlson is doing a great job punting. He does seem to struggle with the finesse punt. A lot of his punts inside the 20 have been short punts between the 15-20. Not too bad for a freshman handling all kicking duties!

I didn't notice them bring in Hutchinson last night. Maybe he will be the finesse guy. Carlson is doing awesome handling every kick possible, a break here and there would be nice.

I am not being nit picky. It's called an opinion. Sounds more like you want to be a jerk and call someone out for posting their opinion. Punting is definitely SEC caliber, looks good, and surely nothing to worry about. There, you happy now? Why are there always these goofballs on message boards with thousands of posts that think they have to correct everyone who sees something different than they do? You must have come straight from that Scout site. It is full of that exact type. For the record, I think our punting will be ok because of our offense. We usually move the ball some so we are punting from at least our 40 or better. If we were to get in a field position battles type game(which we may not), where we keep getting pinned deep, this is not the punting team I would want to have. Honestly, that may never happen.

so then perhaps it's a nit picky opinion....at least that's my opinion so no need to reply..... :)

Honest question: what, exactly, ARE your expectations? Ugly is certainly not the first adjective that springs to mind for me.

Just doing a quick search, it looks like NFL punters average somewhere between 43 and 46 yards. We are averaging a little over 40. So, unless you are expecting our freshmen or RS freshmen to be kicking for the falcons next week, I'd say your expectations are out of whack.

To be denigrating a punting average a few yards shy of what people whose entire million dollar a year profession are producing is, almost by definition, nit-picking.

I think it's more important to have hang time than distance. I'd rather have a guy who punts 38-42 yards with 4.5 hang time consistently than a guy who punts 43-47 yards but only gives you 4 seconds of hang time. I'd rather not see a return. I can't remember any good returns happening either.

I think it's more important to have hang time than distance. I'd rather have a guy who punts 38-42 yards with 4.5 hang time consistently than a guy who punts 43-47 yards but only gives you 4 seconds of hang time. I'd rather not see a return. I can't remember any good returns happening either.

I think you are absolutely correct. I think K State had one because of a missed block in the back, but otherwise the returns have been acceptable. And, to be frank, who cares if the ball goes 40 yards in the air vs 25 and a good roll? They both net 40 and generally are not returned.

I am not saying that these guys have been the second coming of Steven Clark. What I will say is that the situation is much more nuanced than we would care to know about. There are 3 punters, and their job is to put the foot to the ball and deliver it downfield, true, but they are 3 with different skill sets. We aren't constrained by a 53 man roster, so I have no issue with the coaches (who probably know more about those skill sets and the applications thereof in game situations) using them all.

Hell, last night, I am pretty sure the Hutch punt was in the 2nd half with the game well in hand. If we don't mind JJ coming in for NM to get game experience at the risk of a less effective offense, why should we get bent out of shape if the same strategy is used for the Punters?

I don't remember Hutchinson's kick being inside of the 20. Was it? Thought it was around the 22 or something. I just remember being disappointed with it.

I have a dumb question, though. Why is punting in college any harder than punting in high school? You're just kicking the ball. Same ball, same field. It's not like other positions where the competition is now tougher.

BTW, I can understand how PK is harder, more pressure and larger crowds. Is it the same with punting?

Also, I think Daniel's been doing a good job with his punting. Hope he doesn't wear out though.

Boisnumber, on another thread you were all over posters calling them idiots for not being satisfied with every single detail of Auburn's performance Saturday night (e.g. our 3d quarter dropoffs) but you're here taking task with our punting? You're right about the punting, but you're a bloody hypocrite.

I don't remember Hutchinson's kick being inside of the 20. Was it? Thought it was around the 22 or something. I just remember being disappointed with it.

I have a dumb question, though. Why is punting in college any harder than punting in high school? You're just kicking the ball. Same ball, same field. It's not like other positions where the competition is now tougher.

BTW, I can understand how PK is harder, more pressure and larger crowds. Is it the same with punting?

Also, I think Daniel's been doing a good job with his punting. Hope he doesn't wear out though.

4th and 9 at LSU 47 Jimmy Hutchinson punt for 29 yds, fair catch by Tre'Davious White at the LSU 18

Okay, so it was 2 yards inside of the 20, instead of outside. Maybe that's why I was thinking the 22.

But I thought someone said "pinned", which kinda makes it sound like it was deep.

Still didn't seem like a great punt, unless it had a lot of hang time or something. He did fair catch it, I guess.

But at the time, I was just thinking, if you're only going to kick it to the 20 (18), you should just be more aggressive and see if you can really pin them (inside of the 10). If it goes into the end zone, it's coming out to the 20 anyway. I'm guessing the end result isn't what we were trying for.

As long as the punts have a decent net and aren't being returned for scores, I'm fine. Doesn't have to be fantastic. Clark was special

x2

I don't think it's "ugly." Is there more to be desired?....sure but I just want Carlson to stay healthy the entire season. As long as we're not prone to blocked punts...i'm fine with the punting game. Maybe it will click for Hutchinson sooner or later but if we lose Carlson...we're in deep...ish. Just get the punt off and let our defense go to work.

You know the season is going well and the team is playing good football when a thread on punting (good or bad) reaches 3+ pages.

My 2 cents... If the football gods were to tell me that the team I pull for is going to be AWESOME but in order to have that I have to sacrifice one thing.... I'd say punting would be a good sacrifice.

And I'm not even saying the punting is bad. Just..... well, we all gotta have something to critique.

AU's had some great punters over the years.... Lewis Colbert, Terry Daniels, Damon Duval... I'd rather have a great offense & defense and average punter than the other way around.

Archived