Week 7 (Auburn vs. Miss St) - Monday Updates

RunInRed

MSU HC Dan Mullen

Mullen starts by saying last week was a great win as a team. Says they had the home field advantage with fan base staying entire game.

Mullen says having @CollegeGameDay is really neat for the entire program.

Mullen says it's a tough matchup with Auburn. Says they are the best team they've played so far.

Mullen calls Nick Marshall the most experienced QB in the SEC.

Mullen says De'Runnya Wilson is a hard worker and is not surprised with where he is right now. Says he has a lot of improvement to make.

Mullen says he tells Dak to not take himself too seriously.

Mullen says his son is juiced when they win. He looks at the rankings. Mullen is finally competing to be Canon's favorite.

Mullen says he thought Gabe Myles did a good job in replacing Jameon last Saturday.

Mullen says Gabe and Jameon have similar back grounds with being high school quarterbacks.

Mullen says coming into this season they wanted to win more than two SEC games, and we've done that.

Mullen says Josh Robinson's opinion of himself is pretty high.

Mullen says Dak gets a lot of attention, but the offense has to do their job to be successful.

Mullen says Auburn's defense a classic SEC defense.

Mullen says he doesn't remember after five games Heisman hype for a player, including with Tim Tebow and Alex Smith.

Mullen says the guys were flying around at practice yesterday.

Mullen says Dak is pretty good in practice too.

Mullen says Dak is a guy that really works hard at developing his technique. Says a lot of that is his comfort in the offense.

@bcwait

Dan Mullen: Auburn is "the best team we've played so far." ... "They know how to play in big games."

Fun being head coach instead of an assistant (Florida) of a highly-ranked team? Dan Mullen: "Yeah, it's pretty cool."

Dan Mullen on Jackie Sherrill, goals: "For us to win the SEC West. That's something he did. We haven't done that yet."

Mullen talking about how often Mississippians talk about how the state is ranked last in everything, now they can take pride in something.

Dan Mullen: "We have the two universities in the state both ranked No. 3 nationally. That's pretty special for all the people here."

@bmarcello

Mullen on a top 5 ranking as a head coach: "Yeah, it's pretty cool." Understated.

Mullen on SEC: "If you win a big game, the gift is you get an even bigger one next week."

@davidbrandtap

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen says that at 2-0 with six games remaining, "we haven't accomplished all that much."

@wareagleextra

Mullen asked about Prescott as a Heisman candidate, kind of skirts it, but does admit "Our offense really helps that." He'll get numbers.

Mullen: "I have a lot of pride in our university and I have a lot of pride in the state of Mississippi."

Mullen says there's a good chance of WR Jameon Lewis and K Devon Bell being able to play Saturday, but it's a "we'll see" thing on both.

@bobcarskadon

Dan Mullen on Auburn defense: "They're deserving of being one of the best defenses in the country."

Dan Mullen: "they're the best defense we've faced this year...most complete defense."

@JamesCrepea

Dan Mullen: “The difference between a pat on the back and a kick in the butt is about six inches.” … Dan’s pats seem a little low.

@JoelAEricksonAU

I wanted us to sign Wilson so bad man.....Brown too. He's a hometown guy and would have been an awesome star backer

"Dan Mullen on Jackie Sherrill, goals: "For us to win the SEC West. That's something he did. We haven't done that yet."

Yep, three things are certain in life: death, taxes and if either Kentucky or the Mississippi schools are consistently winning at a high level, they're doing it "Sherrill-style" (NCAA, cough, cough).

"Dan Mullen on Jackie Sherrill, goals: "For us to win the SEC West. That's something he did. We haven't done that yet."

Yep, three things are certain in life: death, taxes and if either Kentucky or the Mississippi schools are consistently winning at a high level, they're doing it "Sherrill-style" (NCAA, cough, cough).

Yeah. Years ago i read where someone asked Joe Paterno why he was still coaching. His response was something to the effect there has to be a counterweight to the Jackie Sherrills of college football. Funny that ol Jackie was a Bryant disciple.

It's funny how when Gus is asked about rankings he says, "they don't matter until the end", whereas Mullen thinks they're "pretty cool". I'm not sure if Ms. State can handle the pressure of being good and not let the big head get to them.

After 2010, I want nothing more than to smash these guys.....but given their current success I will take a 1 point win.

After 2010, I want nothing more than to smash these guys.....but given their current success I will take a 1 point win.

This. Although, I predict a larger margin ...

I wanted us to sign Wilson so bad man.....Brown too. He's a hometown guy and would have been an awesome star backer

Yeah, Wilson would've been awesome in our offense... didn't have the grades though.

This. Although, I predict a larger margin ...

Given the spread I will take a 4 point win =)

Archived