Ole Miss - (S) Trae Elston Suspended

stoic-one

sort of undecided. he looked to try to kick the ball loose. that is bad enough i guess. punishment fits crime. I think he has had issues before.

sort of undecided. he looked to try to kick the ball loose. that is bad enough i guess. punishment fits crime. I think he has had issues before.

That's what it looks like to me. His foot was on the ball the whole time. It was kinda rude....but he wasn't actually kicking Drake.

I think this is complete BS. Rude, sure, but suspension? Doubt this would have ever been made a deal of if Drake wouldn't have broken his leg and CBS hadn't replayed it 20 times. I thought they were opening up a can of worms after suspending the MSU center, and it turns out they are right. Call it on the field, or don't call it.

I think this is complete BS. Rude, sure, but suspension? Doubt this would have ever been made a deal of if Drake wouldn't have broken his leg and CBS hadn't replayed it 20 times. I thought they were opening up a can of worms after suspending the MSU center, and it turns out they are right. Call it on the field, or don't call it.

I hope you're not defending Dillon Day, because he pulled the same stunt against us last year, and obviously didn't learn his lesson. I hope our Defensive line gives him a rude welcome back, and he spends the whole game flat on his butt watching helplessly as Dak gets sacked

No, not defending Day and I don't condone Elston either. I just don't like the idea of HD television and replays causing suspensions given by the league. We are going to see a lot more of this going forward. At least it was Freeze suspending Elston, but I wouldn't be surprised if he suspended him a half because he was afraid that if left alone, the league may suspend him for a full game. I would hope though, that he is suspending him because he won't tolerate those actions on his team, even though it was ticky-tacky and has been largely blown out of proportion.

I also want to add that I do consider what Elston did to be unsportsmanlike conduct and should have been flagged for fifteen. If called on the field, I suspect he would not be receiving a suspension from Freeze. But, because Drake was hurt and everyone on social media is trying to paint him as kicking the guy while he was down, Freeze feels the pressure to suspend him, especially after Day was suspended. Day in my opinion deserved to be suspended, and should have been kicked out of the game he was playing in, but suspending Elston for trying to scrape the ball away from a guy with his foot? IMO it is not deserving of a suspension, and I suspect Freeze felt his hand was being forced. Ultimately he probably did what was in the best interest of Elston and the team by suspending him himself.

I feel like this would be like Nick Fairley being suspended post Georgia game in 2010 for spearing Aaron Murray, and honestly that was more egregious than what Elston did in my opinion.

I noticed this live, and then the replay made it seem a little less bad. That being said, it was clearly an attempt at a dirty play but Elston looked to be trying to make it look smooth. I like the suspension here and I think the length is appropriate. Props to Freeze.

Autmike, what's the difference between a dirty play that deserves a suspension and one that deserves only a flag on the field?

about 29:50 minutes and no loss of down

Autmike, what's the difference between a dirty play that deserves a suspension and one that deserves only a flag on the field?

:-\

But really, and I'm not trying to start debate over this particular play, but am curious what we would define as a play that deserves a suspension, or one that just deserves a flag.

:-\/>

But really, and I'm not trying to start debate over this particular play, but am curious what we would define as a play that deserves a suspension, or one that just deserves a flag.

I think suspension comes in to play when you have a repeat offender. First time you get the flag, Do it again, you get the suspension. If I am not mistaken, he has had issues before.

I think suspension comes in to play when you have a repeat offender. First time you get the flag, Do it again, you get the suspension. If I am not mistaken, he has had issues before.

I could be on board with that. I'm not aware of any other incidents he has had, but you could most definitely be right. I do think this particular incident has been blown incredibly out of proportion though, but again props to Freeze for stepping in.

I could be on board with that. I'm not aware of any other incidents he has had, but you could most definitely be right. I do think this particular incident has been blown incredibly out of proportion though, but again props to Freeze for stepping in.

OK, Seriously.... Seems as if it's a slap in the face for poor officiating.

On the one hand, the offender in this case (note: very injured player aside) would have been likely been penalized, for kick at the ball or unsportsmanlike like conduct. That's if the ref was doing his job. But since this/these official(s) failed miserably the player pays the higher cost.

So why doesn't the ref get the day game off ?

As well as, in this one grotesque case, the replay crew who undoubted viewed this horrible scene more than once... yet failed to also address the issue at hand?

OK, Seriously.... Seems as if it's a slap in the face for poor officiating.

On the one hand, the offender in this case (note: very injured player aside) would have been likely been penalized, for kick at the ball or unsportsmanlike like conduct. That's if the ref was doing his job. But since this/these official(s) failed miserably the player pays the higher cost.

So why doesn't the ref get the day game off ?

As well as, in this one grotesque case, the replay crew who undoubted viewed this horrible scene more than once... yet failed to also address the issue at hand?

Since the on field crew didn't call anything there is nothing the replay official can do. He can't call a penalty from up in the booth. He can only confirm or overturn calls on the field. As to why the officials on the field missed it, I can't say. Do we penalize officials a game every time they miss a call like that?

Yep flaw in the logic, no penalty, no review.

Guessing question might be, should we...

penalize officials a game every time they miss a call like that?

Am I mistaken, or did the SEC add an extra ref for games this year? To see the field better, manage the game better, and support the other refs in doing their job?

When we see the ref's missing huge incidents such as flagrant face-mask penalties, stomping players, kicking players, etc that go unnoticed by the team of refs, then somethings wrong with the system IMO.

I feel sure the replay officials see a whole lot more that what we spectators see on TV - but it's not like the officials in the booth can throw a flag or penalize anyone on the field - that duty rests on the on-the-field refs.

Archived