Ole Miss - (S) Trae Elston Suspended

stoic-one

As well as, in this one grotesque case, the replay crew who undoubted viewed this horrible scene more than once... yet failed to also address the issue at hand?

I feel sure the replay officials see a whole lot more that what we spectators see on TV - but it's not like the officials in the booth can throw a flag or penalize anyone on the field - that duty rests on the on-the-field refs.

yep.. :) . was just an after thought, too quickly added to a reply and without thinking through

Yep flaw in the logic, no penalty, no review.

Guessing question might be, should we...

penalize officials a game every time they miss a call like that?

Well they do get graded each week. I think it looked worse initially than it actually was. There was an entire crew that got suspended for a week a couple of years ago so it does happen.

Yep flaw in the logic, no penalty, no review.

Guessing question might be, should we...

penalize officials a game every time they miss a call like that?

Well they do get graded each week. I think it looked worse initially than it actually was. There was an entire crew that got suspended for a week a couple of years ago so it does happen.

Got suspended for a week and later lost their jobs as SEC officials. My brother-in-law was an official on that crew (he is also a former AU football player) and he hasn't officiated another college FB game since that suspension.

They get graded and critiqued after every game they officiate. They get rotated on the crew based on how they grade out for their performance and unbeknownst to us fans, they get are pretty critically evaluated by not only their peers but also their supervisors. Officials are not employed full-time, they are the weekend warriors of the Fall.

So... when that blown call is also coupled with an officiator missing the number whatever team... bamaface.0.gif <==== doing this

in an all too close unbeaten national championship contending match up, should he (or they) be held accountable the next week? Especially as on the same play

they also missed BzIdqVjCEAAgfuA.jpg this

out of bounds call. All of which put the eventual looser up 14 to 3 going into the half, instead of it being 7 to 3.

I know officiating at any level is hard, but jeebebus this game nearly paid for a 1000 new cars for cardiovascular surgeons

(on both sides of the ball). Should this squad at least not be asked to sit a week? After all they almost did it again (and in

fact did initially get it wrong) on the final call of a game deciding play.

Don't forget the Alabama fumble that was not reviewed.

I didn't watch enough of that game to judge the officiating - I did watch the MSU/aTm game and there were some questionable calls in that one - and the UT/FLA game there were some as well (one where the FG was kicked AFTER time had run off the clock). .... Maybe if the SEC adds an additional official (total of 8) for each game, then things will improve? I'd imagine the conference pays about $10,000 per game per officiating crew - so they can afford to add an extra set of eyes.

With regards to the clock, you have probably about an extra second or so between the time the clock hits zero and the official sees if the ball is snapped or not. That's just reaction time, not much you can do about that.

Archived