I'm Taking Cowbells With Me!

AUenginerd

Guest jojo1515

I can tell you from attending games at MSU that sitting among cowbell ringing fans is a headache, it doesn't matter what team they're yelling for. Plus, the rules there now are that when the center is over the ball the ringing has to stop and they tell people "JUST YELL" and from what heard on TV last weekend, they were doing a pretty good job of it. I kind of doubt there'll be enough Auburn cowbell ringers there to cause any problem for the State offense, I mean they live with it all the time after all. As for the Auburn fans sitting near me, I hope they don't bring bells. I hate the darn things no matter what color they are.

1st post on here is trying to convince people not to bring cowbells to MSU. Screen name of get real. Is somebody trolling in hopes of deterring opposing fan bases to start doing this?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, don't bring those cow bells, they don't really distract the offense anyway. Move along nothing to see here.

Signed,

1000's of MSU fans who've been doing it for years for a reason... because it does distract offensive's and they don't want a taste of their own medicne. :)

Yeah, don't bring those cow bells, they don't really distract the offense anyway. Move along nothing to see here.

Signed,

1000's of MSU fans who've been doing it for years for a reason... because it does distract offensive's and they don't want a taste of their own medicne. :)/>

^^^^Nailed it. WDE!

Do they ring the bells throughout the game whether MSU is on defense or offense ? Just seems like we would be adding to their noise and not helping matters.

Do they ring the bells throughout the game whether MSU is on defense or offense ? Just seems like we would be adding to their noise and not helping matters.

They ring when opposing team is on O, and after the play when they are on O.

I believe that the gist of it is that they "follow the rules" whenever the bullpups have the ball but then break the rules and go crazy when the opponent has the ball.

If AU fans bring bells with them and ring them while MSU has the ball, then it'll at least be annoying to MSU if nothing else....

This may catch on with all visiting fan bases to an MSU game. We might even be able to get it to the point that there is one set, of several thousand cow bells, that are passed around to the next group of fans. Just change the stickers and you're good to go. ;D

Does anyone sense the beginnings of a little rivalry here?...BUT first and foremost, Miss. St. hasn't been good enough to be anyone's rival except big brother (Ole Miss). I believe they are good enough this year...

Giv'em Bell!

Does anyone sense the beginnings of a little rivalry here?...BUT first and foremost, Miss. St. hasn't been good enough to be anyone's rival except big brother (Ole Miss). I believe they are good enough this year...

Giv'em Bell!

MSU will likely return to being the same MSU we've always known and loved. I don't think they can maintain that success on a consistent basis. I compare it to Vandy. Vandy had a nice little run and now they are Vandy again. Mullen is likely headed to Florida after they fire Muschamp so that will put a big damper on things.

Giv'em Bell!

Mullen essentially issued an invitation a few years ago for Auburn to take them seriously and put them on par with ourselves and the other power teams in the conference. It would appear that some Auburn fans have accepted that invitation. So, yes.

MSU's AD has gone on record asking the fans to "show proper cow bell etiquette" vs AU on Saturday per ESPN.

Whew - all better now =)

MSU's AD has gone on record asking the fans to "show proper cow bell etiquette" vs AU on Saturday per ESPN.

Whew - all better now =)

I'm good with that since we all know their fans will also be following the proper etiquette as well, wait!

Please don't actually take these. This is dumb.

Thanks for having some sense. Are ya'll really going to try to go into someone else's place and try to 'own' their tradition? If some state fan came into Auburn and tried to roll toomer's corner then I'd kill 'em. I mean, we don't need to go to state and do that because we're probably the best team in the nation. We've only lost 2 games in the past season and a half. We do not need to 'own' someone's tradition in order to beat them.

Thanks for having some sense. Are ya'll really going to try to go into someone else's place and try to 'own' their tradition? If some state fan came into Auburn and tried to roll toomer's corner then I'd kill 'em. I mean, we don't need to go to state and do that because we're probably the best team in the nation. We've only lost 2 games in the past season and a half. We do not need to 'own' someone's tradition in order to beat them.

So it's a tradition to take a cowbell into the stadium and ring the damn thing while the opposing team is on offense? got it. nothing wrong with that.

Whew - all better now =)

Doing a little CYA mayhaps? I'm sure he is all concerned about cow bell etiquette. I don't really care if they have the damn things or not. I would like for the officials to throw flags on MSU when they do it at the wrong time. That would cure it fast

It has nothing to do with "owning their tradition." It has everything to do with it being a legal competitive advantage to them, that isn't illegal for fans of other teams to use against them in their own house. You're suggesting we should just stand there and be completely silent on O while they clang away producing more noise than the entire stadium yelling would be capable of? Sounds like you're a great competitor. Is it silly? In the grand scheme of things, yes, just like them claiming it's a tradition when we all know it's a hindrance to communication of the offense.

Whew - all better now =)

Doing a little CYA mayhaps? I'm sure he is all concerned about cow bell etiquette. I don't really care if they have the damn things or not. I would like for the officials to throw flags on MSU when they do it at the wrong time. That would cure it fast

They need a new sign sorta like the 25 second clock. "More Cow Bell" and "No Cow Bell." It's obvious they don't really know when they should and shouldn't but then again that would depend on if they can read or not.

Whew - all better now =)

They need a new sign sorta like the 25 second clock. "More Cow Bell" and "No Cow Bell." It's obvious they don't really know when they should and shouldn't but then again that would depend on if they can read or not.

Oh they know when they can and can't do it. They just don't care.

Oh they know when they can and can't do it. They just don't care.

That is precisely why I think we should be using them AGAINST THEM. They barely get fined, they aren't penalized on the field, and they don't care!

Hey Tenured Professor...Bite me! I said what I said because of the reasons I stated in my post. I think the idea of AU people taking cowbells to the game is silly and adds another layer of obnoxious noise...period. I go to the games because I enjoy seeing the games live and all the atmosphere that goes with it. Ringing the bells is similar to LSU's chants when they get a lead or bama's RTR. I don't want to hear it! I've often thought the state folks probably use the bells to level the playing field a bit compared to the 80K-100K fans some of the other teams get in their stadiums. They only got 60K seats there but add even 20k cowbells and you get a real headache. Like somebody said earlier, can you imagine if bama came to Auburn and won and a bunch of tide fans started rollin' toomers with red paper. But you know there is that saying: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I wont be imitatin' any cow college bell ringers.

Some of my coworkers are MSU alumni. They say the big video board at the stadium has sections that switch between the messages MORE COWBELL and JUST YELL. The bell ringing rules were actually relaxed a bit this year. They're allowed to ring them now anytime except when the center is over the ball. So ringing during a huddle is legal. I'm gonna take my earplugs.

Hey Tenured Professor...Bite me! I said what I said because of the reasons I stated in my post. I think the idea of AU people taking cowbells to the game is silly and adds another layer of obnoxious noise...period. I go to the games because I enjoy seeing the games live and all the atmosphere that goes with it. Ringing the bells is similar to LSU's chants when they get a lead or bama's RTR. I don't want to hear it! I've often thought the state folks probably use the bells to level the playing field a bit compared to the 80K-100K fans some of the other teams get in their stadiums. They only got 60K seats there but add even 20k cowbells and you get a real headache. Like somebody said earlier, can you imagine if bama came to Auburn and won and a bunch of tide fans started rollin' toomers with red paper. But you know there is that saying: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I wont be imitatin' any cow college bell ringers.

It is illegal to use them when the opposition is on offense and they know it. If it was legal to use them at any time I wouldn't care. a 60,000 seat stadium can be very loud. From what I understand KSU gets very loud but they don't use artificial noisemakers. If they can't make enough noise without that then that is their problem.

Some of my coworkers are MSU alumni. They say the big video board at the stadium has sections that switch between the messages MORE COWBELL and JUST YELL. The bell ringing rules were actually relaxed a bit this year. They're allowed to ring them now anytime except when the center is over the ball. So ringing during a huddle is legal. I'm gonna take my earplugs.

Have you noticed how closely they follow this rule?

Didn't think so.

Archived