If I am

bmartin3228

This ^^^ .... Appears the play caller is just plugging different players into much of last years game plan.

With the problem being Tre Mason's no longer here and CAP doesn't get stronger with every run. Tre had a special talent to just dig deeper with every run, so the 'D' had to be spot on to stop him. With CAP it's not ( any where nearly) the same, while his great numbers are still generated by not spreading the ball around, he doesn't deliver near with the same touchdown ratio (not half). In my neighborhood a ball hog had to deliver with 'the goods' or someone else got a chance, and if his feats not are getting in the end zone it's not good *.

So.... in this years case the attempt has been to spread the ball around via passing. which also has not been successful enough to make up the difference.

So... obviously if something is to change, we need to alter the plan some how . Maybe running someone different, or maybe by using more RB's or different alignment of, or maybe only attempt passes which work, or maybe try some of the un-ear marked pages. Because there's a special name for doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.... **

(* Not if he's the overwhelming used ball carrier.)

(** and we needed it done - like 3 weeks ago).

I've said that before, but Idk, I wish we had a stat for how much time the average third string back gets in a Malzahn offense, cause he's definitely gonna behind Racean and likely Jovon.

Marshall runs the read better. They know we will pass or hand off if JJ is in. Marshall is the better option at quarterback.

You can't really state that, Malzahn hasn't allowed Jeremy to run the RO too much so far. Seeing as how he's a real inside power threat, its probably going to be more Inverted Veer than zone read though

I just think there is a reason why Marshall has started for two years. He runs the read well and he's a better passer than he was last year. I do think JJ should have played more tonight but this is still a season with a possibility of ten wins and a New Year's Day bowl win. You've got to keep your best guy in and I think that's Marshall overall.

I would love to see NM's stats if the WRs had not dropped so many balls this year. Would also love toknow just how many drops we had over the last two years that were catchable. Really hoping JJ has soft hands to throw to next year.

Gus seems to be in love with the idea of bringing in High school QBs and making them into receivers. Louis was a QB, Uzomah was a QB. Bray was a RB. I think there is a lot of experimenting that goes on with that position.

This ^^^ .... Appears the play caller is just plugging different players into much of last years game plan.

With the problem being Tre Mason's no longer here and CAP doesn't get stronger with every run. Tre had a special talent to just dig deeper with every run, so the 'D' had to be spot on to stop him. With CAP it's not ( any where nearly) the same, while his great numbers are still generated by not spreading the ball around, he doesn't deliver near with the same touchdown ratio (not half). In my neighborhood a ball hog had to deliver with 'the goods' or someone else got a chance, and if his feats not are getting in the end zone it's not good *.

So.... in this years case the attempt has been to spread the ball around via passing. which also has not been successful enough to make up the difference.

So... obviously if something is to change, we need to alter the plan some how . Maybe running someone different, or maybe by using more RB's or different alignment of, or maybe only attempt passes which work, or maybe try some of the un-ear marked pages. Because there's a special name for doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.... **

CAP gets considerably stronger the amount of runs he gets. Watch games instead of trying to find ways to argue. We're running for 3-4 yards then getting top 6-10 wearing the defense down and getting CAP in rhythm. There's no room for another back in the rotation. Running qb, roc, CAP, Grant, and the sweep with the wr. Press show me where there's room abd where any other ruining back on the team will be able to do it better

The idea that CAP doesn't get stronger as the game goes along is false. Barber's time hasn't arrived yet. He's already used his redshirt year and if he transfers he'll have to sit out yet another year. Barber's best chance to play is winning a job in spring practice. If he can't do that then he'll be 3rd string again next season. In my neighborhood a guy has to earn his playing time by beating someone else out. If he can't do that, hello bench.

The idea that CAP doesn't get stronger as the game goes along is false. Barber's time hasn't arrived yet. He's already used his redshirt year and if he transfers he'll have to sit out yet another year. Barber's best chance to play is winning a job in spring practice. If he can't do that then he'll be 3rd string again next season. In my neighborhood a guy has to earn his playing time by beating someone else out. If he can't do that, hello bench.

But they do not seem to respect CAP like they did with Tre shich allowed Nick to get his runs. It was a great 1-2 punch. The D's seem to be able to stop our run with the front and keep the ends and outside backers to contain Nick.

But they do not seem to respect CAP like they did with Tre shich allowed Nick to get his runs. It was a great 1-2 punch. The D's seem to be able to stop our run with the front and keep the ends and outside backers to contain Nick.

They are clearly bringing more edge pressure this year to stop the QB. KSU showed how effective that can be against us. CAP is a very good back I think teams are okay giving him his 140 yards since he is not a breakaway burner like Nick is. The defenses have decided to focus on Nick, get him out of his running game, make him throw the ball and since he loves to go deep bring the pressure so he doesn't have time to let those long routes develop. With Nick we are not a precise passing game with timing routes, most of the time the throw is either a screen or a bomb into double coverage.

1st thing first - I never mentioned Barber (although - yes - the OP did). I instead carefully promoted no one individual or any one solution... except for posting IMO we need to disperse the ball in a different manner, because the chosen manner of ball management has become insufficient in effecting a win (and that why most teams play) - so maybe this didn't belong here?

2nd - here's all of CAP's runs in order from the Georgia game... as it's hardly worth looking at the results from last nights junior league soiree

26 td

So, is he getting stronger and does it appear equal talent is really becoming exhausted? (as it really doesn't count if weaker teams end up winded)

... as equal talent is all that's left for this year. (And although never explained: This is only for this year, for who know's what Gus will choose next year?)

Here's a little breakdown of Tre Mason's numbers last year vs. Cameron Artis-Payne's numbers this year.. (Tre's numbers below are through the SEC title game)

Tre Mason (it should be noted here that for some reason, these numbers do not include the bowl game. Mason had 34 carries for 195 yards in the bowl game)

BY QUARTER ATT YDS

1st QUARTER 70 371

2nd QUARTER 69 528

3rd QUARTER 75 368

4th QUARTER 69 354

BY HALF ATT YDS

1ST HALF 139 899

2ND HALF 144 722

Cameron Artis-Payne

BY QUARTER ATT YDS

1st QUARTER 72 386

2nd QUARTER 66 327

3rd QUARTER 64 381

4th QUARTER 50 311

BY HALF ATT YDS

1ST HALF 138 713

2ND HALF 114 692

The numbers above clearly show Mason's best quarter over the 2013 season was the 2nd quarter.

It's also extremely likely that CAP's numbers in the 3rd and 4th quarter will be better than what Mason did Well the 3rd quarter already is. 4th quarter numbers are only 43 yards behind.

1st thing first - I never mentioned Barber (although - yes - the OP did). I instead carefully promoted no one individual or any one solution... except for posting IMO we need to disperse the ball in a different manner, because the chosen manner of ball management has become insufficient in effecting a win (and that why most teams play) - so maybe this didn't belong here?

2nd - here's all of CAP's runs in order from the Georgia game... as it's hardly worth looking at the results from last nights junior league soiree

26 td

So, is he getting stronger and does it appear equal talent is really becoming exhausted? (as it really doesn't count if weaker teams end up winded)

Cherry picking our worst offensive performance under Malzahn (in 2 years) doesn't remotely support your case here.

Going back before the slide (3 losses of last 6) would be of little benefit... with football it's what can you do for me today, so only choose to use last substantial contest.

... and I'll add for comparison -TD"s as featured back

2013 - Tre' 24 Rushing - 1 Receiving

2014 - CAP 11 Rushing - 0 Receiving

I just don't see anything changing next week... without doing something different.

Going back before the slide (3 losses of last 6) would be of little benefit... with football it's what can you do for me today, so only choose to use last substantial contest.

... and I'll add for comparison -TD"s as featured back

2013 - Tre' 24 Rushing - 1 Receiving

2014 - CAP 11 Rushing - 0 Receiving

I just don't see anything changing next week... without doing something different.

More cherry picking.. The Full season numbers as a team:

2013 - 73 Touchdowns - 553 points

2014- 50 Touchdowns - 386 points (still 2 games to play) but it's obvious our overall scoring production is down from 2013. That's not on 1 player.

It counts if you're comparing numbers for the near exclusive featured back....

as for cherry picking here's his tally from the last win - Ole Miss

... that's for the face of AU rushing, the RB numero uno, and main focus of ball distribution, in the last significant win. The guy who touches the ball appreciably more than anyone else, besides the center and quarterback. Don't get me wrong I 'm not ANTI CAP... just only stating a belief (opinion) that we might should consider looking elsewhere for as many TD's that might be required for the next 2 games. Who know's it might even improve CAP's ratio of touches to touchdown.

I've said that before, but Idk, I wish we had a stat for how much time the average third string back gets in a Malzahn offense, cause he's definitely gonna behind Racean and likely Jovon.

Marshall runs the read better. They know we will pass or hand off if JJ is in. Marshall is the better option at quarterback.

You can't really state that, Malzahn hasn't allowed Jeremy to run the RO too much so far. Seeing as how he's a real inside power threat, its probably going to be more Inverted Veer than zone read though

I just think there is a reason why Marshall has started for two years. He runs the read well and he's a better passer than he was last year. I do think JJ should have played more tonight but this is still a season with a possibility of ten wins and a New Year's Day bowl win. You've got to keep your best guy in and I think that's Marshall overall.

I would love to see NM's stats if the WRs had not dropped so many balls this year. Would also love toknow just how many drops we had over the last two years that were catchable. Really hoping JJ has soft hands to throw to next year.

Of course our receivers also made some amazing, acrobatic catches so it may all even out in the end.

26 td

Cherry picking our worst offensive performance under Malzahn (in 2 years) doesn't remotely support your case here.

to be fair, our performance against Georgia was the worst offensive performance.

Of course our receivers also made some amazing, acrobatic catches so it may all even out in the end.

I'm so over the "dropped passes" bs. I appreciate Nick Marshall as much as any player that's passed through AU. He gave us one hell of a thrill in 2013...BUT, to try and say he's even adequate as a passing qb is just wrong. He flat out can't hit the passes that a top tier SEC school QB must hit.

Without a flat out dominating LT and the best blocking FB I've ever seen, he's an average qb at best.

That's not bashing, it's just the truth.

I'm so over the "dropped passes" bs. I appreciate Nick Marshall as much as any player that's passed through AU. He gave us one hell of a thrill in 2013...BUT, to try and say he's even adequate as a passing qb is just wrong. He flat out can't hit the passes that a top tier SEC school QB must hit.

Without a flat out dominating LT and the best blocking FB I've ever seen, he's an average qb at best.

That's not bashing, it's just the truth.

We have dropped a lot of passes the last two years. That's not bs, it's just the truth.

Guest jojo1515

Season must be in the crapper. Every single thread I open today has the coaches are wrong mentality mixed with the coaches can do no wrong mentality. The worst part is that the extremists on both ends argue about every detail of everything. Add in the crowds that think the O stinks and the ones that think the D stinks arguing over which is the problem (stats actually answer this very clearly yet they still argue) and this site is unbearable today. The worst is the high and mighty crowd that puts down everything anybody says about anything. Those people need are unbearable all by themselves. Add in the other crowds and this whole place is in the crapper. I sure hope we win Saturday so this place can get back to normal. A lot of fighting in the fam lately and it is making my head hurt. Not directed at the OP btw

Gus said in the preseason and early in the year that "Ball Security" was the key to the younger backs getting more reps.

I don't know if this is an issue with Barber or not, just repeating what Gus has said.

I don't know how many times CAP will make a hard 8 or 9 yard run with very little blocking breaking tackles and fighting for the extra yard. Next play will be a hand off to CAP again for a two yard loss. Opponent seems to know we give it to him again while he's exhausted. Then we have 3rd and 4. Same ole same ole. Is it just me? Mason had a knack for sliding off the blitz and avoiding that two yard loss.

Also I'd like to see Marshall's yards on scrambles vs read option. It seems he's been far less effective on scrambles this year and has had less chances to get yards on read option

I bet a lot of that has to do with the work he did on the passing game in the offseason. Last year, he didn't hang around and wait too long for someone to get open.

I don't know how many times CAP will make a hard 8 or 9 yard run with very little blocking breaking tackles and fighting for the extra yard. Next play will be a hand off to CAP again for a two yard loss. Opponent seems to know we give it to him again while he's exhausted. Then we have 3rd and 4. Same ole same ole. Is it just me? Mason had a knack for sliding off the blitz and avoiding that two yard loss.

in retrospect

Perhaps this should have been more along the lines of Tre Mason with last years line and CAP playing with this years line. As the intent was not to throw anyone under the bus, but why I hope for a different distribution of touches. And you can't really compare a back's success without considering everyone else involved.

Archived