Brutal Schedule.......excuse

3Jtiger22

I have heard or guess read several statements saying " our brutal schedule caught up with us".

Help me see how our schedule is more brutal than any other team in the West.

As mentioned before arky is heading up with momentum into 2015 and AU, well, we are with a loss at bama looking at a very realistic 20-25 pre season ranking.

Going into the season, the non-homer consensus was between 8-4 and 10-2. Nothing surprising. We'll be better next year. We ought to do something about our defense, though, which has been playing atrociously.

I have heard or guess read several statements saying " our brutal schedule caught up with us".

As mentioned before arky is heading up with momentum into 2015 and AU, well, we are with a loss at bama looking at a very realistic 20-25 pre season ranking.

All of our big games, with the exception of the LSU game, were on the road. A&M had close to the same but still not as many as AU. Everyone else had nearly all their big games at home.

Home and Away. Nobody else played the three top teams in the West (when we played them) at their place and the probable winner of the East at their place.

When you don't have the depth needed and a few folks get injured it is the schedule..why is our schedule more brutal? Take a look at who we play in the east and our out of conference schedule. We didn't play Vandy or Kentucky. We got everyone's best shot this year because we were the defending champs...Our game at K State was tough..

bama - UWV, florida atlantic, southern miss, UF, UT, W Carolina

Ole Miss- Boise State, Vandy, La Lafayette, Memphis, UT, Presbyterian

T A&M- USCe, Lamar, Rice, SMU, UL Monroe, Mizzou

Miss St-Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, UK, UT Martin, Vandy

LSU-Whisky, Sam Houston, UL Monroe, New Mexico St,, UF, UK

AU- San Jose St, K State, La Tech, USCe, UGA, Samford

Before Ole Miss got hammered, Auburn was on its way to playing five teams currently ranked in the top 12. All five teams on the road. Obviously, Auburn has bigger issues than the schedule, otherwise, we would have handled TAMU. With that said, Auburn earned the right to say they have the toughest schedule in the nation. That doesn't mean a whole lot, Auburn will not get a trophy for it, our schedule will never ease the pain of our three losses, but don't take that away from Auburn.

"Going into the season, the non-homer consensus was between 8-4 and 10-2. Nothing surprising. We'll be better next year. We ought to do something about our defense, though, which has been playing atrociously. "

Just wondering...we lose 27 seniors, starting QB, CAP, Reese, Duke,a couple of tight ends, most of our DL, 3 DBs and on it goes...check the roster.

Guess I'm missing something but how can we lose that much talent..and be better?

There is no "excuse." Excuses are not acceptable in football. There are explanations. There are reasons. But not excuses.

The only explanation that counts is Auburn's own poor play -- fumbles, interceptions, penalties, special teams screw-ups, defensive penalties, poor tackling, and on and on. CGM and the other coaches and the players will not make excuses. They will man up and accept responsibility. Auburn just has not played winning football.

After losing to A&M at home, does anyone really think Auburn would have beat UGA, even if it had been played in Jordan Hare? I sure don't.

Auburn has a pretty good record at Tuscaloosa. Playing at Tuscaloosa is not an excuse or an explanation or a reason. Auburn will win or lose based on how well they play. If Auburn makes a lot of mistakes, Auburn will lose. If Auburn plays up to its full potential without making critical mistakes, Auburn will win.

No excuses.

Dead on Rex.....it's all in the hands of the players...just have to play to their potential.

Before Ole Miss got hammered, Auburn was on its way to playing five teams currently ranked in the top 12. All five teams on the road. Obviously, Auburn has bigger issues than the schedule, otherwise, we would have handled TAMU. With that said, Auburn earned the right to say they have the toughest schedule in the nation. That doesn't mean a whole lot, Auburn will not get a trophy for it, our schedule will never ease the pain of our three losses, but don't take that away from Auburn.

Yep that's why and that answers his question very well. Although it isn't an excuse, it is what it is, just the luck of the draw. But it will happen more and more with this ridiculous Georgia and bama games away in the same year.

Toughen up the defense, clean up the offense, man up on the lines, and we are undefeated with our brutal schedule. We have played sloppy football for nearly a month, and the players have become apathetic. No excuse for that.

Yep that's why and that answers his question very well. Although it isn't an excuse, it is what it is, just the luck of the draw. But it will happen more and more with this ridiculous Georgia and bama games away in the same year.

JJ and co. are working to get that changed back to the way it was, home with one away with the other. We do get them both at home every other year, which was a definite help last year in our run to the SEC title and BCSCG.

I think the schedule plays a role in our record (seriously, would FSU be undefeated if they played in the SEC?) but not in how poorly we've played of late. Unless we think it's possible that we had a let down at the beginning of the TAMU game due to the schedule. The most plausible explanation for the poor play since then is from Stat. When we fumbled away a chance to complete the comeback against TAMU, we fumbled away our chance to return to the NC game which was the focus of this season (13 secs better, etc.). We've certainly played like a team without focus the past 2 weeks.

Kinda reminds me of how bammer plays in bowls that aren't for the NC, after they were right at the brink before a loss to AU, or someone else knocks them out of contention. Playing without their hearts really in the game.

Maybe you should cheer for them since you are so clearly unhappy and disappointed here???

"Going into the season, the non-homer consensus was between 8-4 and 10-2. Nothing surprising. We'll be better next year. We ought to do something about our defense, though, which has been playing atrociously. "

Just wondering...we lose 27 seniors, starting QB, CAP, Reese, Duke,a couple of tight ends, most of our DL, 3 DBs and on it goes...check the roster.

Guess I'm missing something but how can we lose that much talent..and be better?

The Home-Away thing to start.

Not too concerned with all the seniors that are leaving. I like who's behind them. And Lawson coming back. I really like what I'm seeing with Melvin Ray and Roc.

I think we'll win more than 8 games. My principal concern is that, with a new QB, CGM will have to shift his scheme to something different. Though, it seems our 3 card Monty has been cracked as of recent.

The Home-Away thing to start.

Not too concerned with all the seniors that are leaving. I like who's behind them. And Lawson coming back. I really like what I'm seeing with Melvin Ray and Roc.

I think we'll win more than 8 games. My principal concern is that, with a new QB, CGM will have to shift his scheme to something different. Though, it seems our 3 card Monty has been cracked as of recent.

Gus can easily adapt his system to his talent. He's not always had guys like Cam or Nick. Remember 09 and how we operated then?

I personally think Gus is probably giddy over having a QB that can throw next season. He's been forcing NM to be more of a passer this season and it really hurts the offense. And I just can't figure out why he's putting NM in that situation other than the fact Gus truly wants to be able to effectively pass the ball 40-50% of the time.

"Gus can easily adapt his system to his talent. He's not always had guys like Cam or Nick. Remember 09 and how we operated then?"-Cool

We have been an 8 or 9 win team without a couple of super-stars like Cam, Tre, Nick F. Just saying that we will be losing about 80% of our offensive yards from this season and most of our DBs.....and just thinking that if the back-ups were so solid, they would have been playing more.

True, the schedule will be more favorable but we have a lot of slots to fill. Really need some JUCO help on the defense. JMO

Maybe you should cheer for them since you are so clearly unhappy and disappointed here???

What a jerk...please tell me what states unhappy and why would I cheer for someone else?????? As far as disappointed goes...HECK yes I am dissapointed....

So much crying from grown folk. We are banged up from the schedule both mentally and physically. Had the breaks that went to us last year bounce the other way. It's not hard to see folks. And next year we have the chance to be better because guys like Lawson, kozan etc are back. Duke may be back, we've got guys like Ray, Stevens, truitt etc. Roc, jovon, barber, pettaway. We've got Mr freaking football baller all day Johnson at qb. Who only completes passes it seems. Frost and Cass, holsey, ruffin and the talent we recruited. And your argument about if they were better they'd be playing.... they are in rotation so they have game experience

Dang negative posts everywhere I get to read like 5 threads a day including recruiting cause I can't stand the whining

Just one other thought about our schedule....which is indeed very tough.

I wonder about those people who are on here constantly complaining that we should be playing Power 5 teams for our OOC games instead of say....Samford or LaTech. Can anyone imagine what it would have been like this season if had scheduled Ohio State and Oklahoma instead of the schools we did?

Archived