Establishing a Legal Guarding Position

WarTiger

This was mentioned by the announcers several times during the game last night and was even asked about in the game thread. I thought I would post the rule reference in a thread of its own so people will understand what they are talking about. Every year and seemingly every game we hear many announcers say something about the defender was set or was not set when a block/charge call happens. I'm not at all sure how this became a standard point to bring up every game by every announcer but they are all wrong. There is nothing in the book that says a defender has to be "set" to draw a charging foul. Its nowhere in the book. What the book does say is that the defender must ESTABLISH AN INITIAL LEGAL GUARDING POSITION. A legal guarding position does NOT mean he has to be stationary. Here's the rule book definition of what is a legal guarding position.

Section 17. Guarding

Art. 1. Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive

opponent. The guarding position shall be initially established and then maintained

inbounds on the playing court.

Art. 2. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent,

but the maximum distance to be considered closely guarded is 6 feet. This

distance shall be measured from the forward foot or feet of the defender to the

forward foot or feet of the opponent. These distances shall apply only when a

player in the front court is holding the ball or dribbling.

Art. 3. Every player shall be entitled to a spot on the playing court, provided that

such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. (Exception:

Rule 4-17.7)

Art. 4. To establish an initial legal guarding position on the player with the ball:

a. The guard shall have both feet touching the playing court. When the guard

jumps into position initially, both feet must return to the playing court after

the jump, for the guard to attain a legal guarding position.

b. The guard’s torso shall face the opponent.

c. No time and distance shall be required.

d. When the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard shall have attained

legal guarding position before the opponent begins his upward motion

with his hands/arms to shoot or pass. (Exception: Rule 4-17.7)

Art. 5. To establish legal guarding position on a player without the ball:

a. Time and distance shall be required to attain an initial legal guarding

position;

b. The guard shall give the opponent the time and distance to avoid contact;

c. The distance given by the opponent of the player without the ball need not

be more than two strides; and

d. When the opponent is airborne, the guard shall have attained legal

guarding position before the opponent left the playing court.

50 Rule 4 / Definitions

Art. 6. To maintain a legal guarding position after the initial position has been

attained, the guard:

a. Is not required to continue having the torso face the opponent;

b. Cannot have either foot out of bounds;

c. May raise the hands or may jump within his own vertical plane;

d. May shift to maintain guarding position in the path of the dribbler,

provided that the guard does not charge into the dribbler or otherwise

cause contact;

e. May move laterally or obliquely to maintain position provided such a

move is not toward the opponent when contact occurs;

f. Is not required to have the feet on the playing court when shifting in the

path of the dribbler or when moving laterally or obliquely; and

g. May turn or duck to absorb shock when contact by the dribbler is

imminent. In such a case, the dribbler shall not be absolved from the

responsibility of contact.

Art. 7. A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in

the Restricted Area for the purposes of drawing a player control foul/charge on

a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has

released the ball for a pass or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this

Restricted Area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact

is flagrant. (Exception: When the offensive player leads with a foot or unnatural

extended knee or wards off with the arm.) This restricted area is something they put in several years ago. It filtered down from the nba. In my opinion it doesn't belong in the college game at all. For those of you that watched our two games in Las Vegas, there were multiple offensive charging calls that happened (on both ends) when the secondary defender was in the restricted area. By definition above those are blocking fouls not charging fouls. I really hope they take this out of the college game soon.

This restriction shall not prohibit a defender, located within the restricted area, from

attempting to block a shot.

So above what we have is how to establish an initial legal guarding position, but we also have how to MAINTAIN that guarding position. If a defender can legally move to maintain a legal guarding position that completely destroys this ridiculous myth that a defender has to be set to draw a charge. It simply doesn't exist anywhere in the book.

Anyway, with the renewed interest in college basketball at Auburn, I thought it was a good idea to put this here.

I was curious about the two curved lines under the basket and what they mean. I don't ever remember seeing them on courts last year or before. (It could just be me. I haven't watched a lot of CBB the past 10 years for obvious reasons or perhaps I have just blocked that time period out of my memory.)

Yeah, I don't like that rule at all..

Section 8. Restricted Area Arc

The restricted area arc is a solid single-colored 2-inch line formed by a semicircle

measured from the center of the basket to the outside edge with a radius of 3-feet

and extending in a straight line to the front face of the backboard. This arc must

be clearly discernable and distinguishable.

Section 30. Restricted Area

The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted

area arc, which has a 3-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and

extending to the face of the backboard. A secondary defender is considered to be in

the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.

The reason a second line was there was as a trial basis for extending the line to 5 feet from basket for that tourney but refs disregarded it

I don't mind the restricted area. The thing about a stationary defender is that it just became the easiest way to demonstrate taking contact. Taking a charge never required being stationary, but when it's a bang-bang call (like almost all block/charge calls are), it's harder to get the call when you're shuffling the feet. There are obvious ones where a guy is sliding and just gets run over, but those are rare. It's a good idea to get set and take the contact while stationary. That makes it harder for the official to give the offensive player the call.

I don't mind the restricted area. The thing about a stationary defender is that it just became the easiest way to demonstrate taking contact. Taking a charge never required being stationary, but when it's a bang-bang call (like almost all block/charge calls are), it's harder to get the call when you're shuffling the feet.

That's really not true. Have you watched basketball lately? I mean real basketball, not the fake nba garbage. Just in our two games in Vegas there were probably over a dozen offensive fouls called (counting both ends of the floor) and in very few of them was the defensive player stationary.

There are obvious ones where a guy is sliding and just gets run over, but those are rare. It's a good idea to get set and take the contact while stationary. That makes it harder for the official to give the offensive player the call.

That's all well and good in theory but see my point above. Offensive fouls are much more prevalent in the game today than they used to be. Being stationary could make it easier to rule on that play but that rarely happens. Especially since its not required to draw a charge.

NBA is real basketball, which is why the college game is bending its rules to match the pro game (restricted area, hand check rules, etc.). Offensive fouls seem more prevalent in college, but I'd say two things: (1) a lot of those calls are not just charging calls... it's moving screens, swinging elbows to clear space, and charging. I've seen us play 4 of our 6 games. I haven't noticed a massive uptick in charging calls, and certainly not a significant uptick on charging calls when the defender is not at least trying to stand still and "take the charge" (the way Coach K teaches it).

Also, don't hate the NBA just because players actually have the ability to make shots. It's not bad defense. It's accurate shooting. There's a difference. Teams that can't score can't defend themselves into championship contention just by uglying up the game, which happens every March in college basketball (see: every game Butler played for its two year run). The NBA is better basketball.

This thread is about the college rule for establishing a legal guarding position. The validity of the nba is an entirely different discussion. Go defend the nba in another thread.

If you haven't noticed an uptick in offensive fouls at the college level then you clearly haven't been watching as much basketball as you say you have and certainly haven't watched Auburn games.

One thing: As far as players making shots, they make shots in college and they make shots in high school basketball. That doesn't make the nba better. You are right about one thing, its not bad defense. It's NO DEFENSE. enjoy the nba all you want...but IMO, the nba is garbage and always will be. Go defend that abysmal product somewhere else and let's stick to the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks WT. I'm struggling a bit picturing a scenario where the defender has both feet on the ground with his body facing the opponent yet he's not for all intents and purposes "set". True, "set" is not in the rules.

This thread is about the college rule for establishing a legal guarding position. The validity of the nba is an entirely different discussion. Go defend the nba in another thread.

If you haven't noticed an uptick in offensive fouls at the college level then you clearly haven't been watching as much basketball as you say you have and certainly haven't watched Auburn games.

One thing: As far as players making shots, they make shots in college and they make shots in high school basketball. That doesn't make the nba better. You are right about one thing, its not bad defense. It's NO DEFENSE. enjoy the nba all you want...but IMO, the nba is garbage and always will be. Go defend that abysmal product somewhere else and let's stick to the topic.

Better players, better coaches, better arenas. More intricate defensive and offensive systems. The NBA has a fine brand of basketball. I enjoy both, but I don't see why one should have to denigrate one to elevate the other.

Example: the Memphis Grizzlies play better defense than ANY college team.. ANY.

Better players, better coaches, better arenas. More intricate defensive and offensive systems. The NBA has a fine brand of basketball. I enjoy both, but I don't see why one should have to denigrate one to elevate the other.

Example: the Memphis Grizzlies play better defense than ANY college team.. ANY.

That's YOUR opinion, but not at all relevant to this discussion.

There have been more offensive foul calls in college the last 2 years. It's because of the restricted area making it easier to make the call on block/charge and also the tightening of the hand check rule. Both of those things come from NBA basketball. NBA is far superior to college in every aspect of the game and it's not close. The tournament is great but 54-50 games are ugly. That happens because these kids are simply not as good at shooting, dribbling, or passing the ball. They just had to move the 3 point line in a few years ago to increase scoring in college. College teams with bad defenders play a ton of zone. You could never get away with that in the league.

Lol at nba garbage but SEC is real basketball....anyway I was wondering how many here played basketball competitively? Just curious on the experience level here

There have been more offensive foul calls in college the last 2 years. It's because of the restricted area making it easier to make the call on block/charge and also the tightening of the hand check rule.

Not true. You obviously haven't watched any college basketball if you think the restricted area has HELPED officials make the block/charge call. It's done the exact opposite.

Both of those things come from NBA basketball. NBA is far superior to college in every aspect of the game and it's not close.

The tournament is great but 54-50 games are ugly. That happens because these kids are simply not as good at shooting, dribbling, or passing the ball. They just had to move the 3 point line in a few years ago to increase scoring in college. College teams with bad defenders play a ton of zone. You could never get away with that in the league.

That is TOTALLY FALSE. When they implemented the three point line it was set at 19 feet 9 inches. In 2008-2009 season they MOVED IT BACK to 20 feet 9 inches. The did NOT move it in.

This thread is NOT about the nba. It's about establishing a legal guarding position in the COLLEGE game. Please stick to topic.

Archived