A reflection on Nick Marshall

AUCorpsman

Hi guys, I was looking at some stats and thought I would share them with you. With one game to go, here's where Nick stands in some categories:

1. 3rd all-time in total TDs. Needs three to pass Coach Craig for 2nd.

2. 6th all-time in total yards. Needs 316 to pass Coach Craig for 5th.

3. 6th all-time in TD/INT ratio. If you limit it to people with 100 pass attempts, he jumps to 3rd.

4. 6th all-time in Passing Tds. Would need seven to move any higher there.

5. 8th all-time in Passing Yards. Would need 406 to move past Reggie Slack for 7th.

6. 9th all-time in Completion %, for players with more than 30 attempts. Narrow that to 100, he moves to 6th.

7. 20th all-time in Rushing Yards. Needs 31 for 19th and 144 for 18th.

8. Career Passing Efficiency is 146.09. For scale Pat Sullivan 129.44, Jason Campbell 148.02, and Cam(with a very limited sample size) 182.00.

9. Using ESPNs QBR metric(for better or worse) Nick is 4th in the country at 83.6. That ties him for 30th all-time. By contrast, Cam is 7th all-time with 89.4.

And this from a former DB.

I know everybody is up in the air over the next DC hire, but after a crappy end to yesterday, I wanted to share something awesome.

War Eagle, everybody!

-all stats from sports-reference.com

There is no doubt Nick was a saver for Auburn….right man at the right time….going to miss his competitiveness…..

I can't imagine he doesn't have a spot on some NFL roster. Maybe not as a QB, but somewhere. I just get caught up in the moment and forget how awesome the stuff we are seeing is.

I tell you this much, very few QBs in the pros that could make the long throws he made with the accuracy he did last night. Several long balls were spot on and in tight coverage. Cooper was making catches for Sims that were just floaters because he had no coverage. Nick still needs work on the short soft passes and the end zone corner routes. I think the problem with end zone routes is Gus probably doesn't work a lot on that in practice due to his desire to run it in. WDE

I can't imagine he doesn't have a spot on some NFL roster. Maybe not as a QB, but somewhere. I just get caught up in the moment and forget how awesome the stuff we are seeing is.

I think he has the talent to take a chance on. If nothing else, he could be on the practice squad while learns whatever position they pick him for.

I tell you this much, very few QBs in the pros that could make the long throws he made with the accuracy he did. Several long balls were spot on and in tight coverage. Cooper was making catches for Sims that were just floaters because he had no coverage. Nick still needs work on the short soft passes and the end zone corner routes. I think the problem with end zone routes is Gus probably doesn't work a lot on that in practice due to his desire to run it in. WDE

I was finally about to agree with a post from you until your last sentence.....almost

Nick Marshall has been the reason we were in the NCG last year and in the running for two thirds of this season. Quoting someone else from an earlier post "He is a warrior" it is rare for a QB to come in the summer of his first season and take over (but a converted corner none the less) and to work hard at his craft to become a better passer for this season. He balled in the Iron Bowl like no other and I hope for great success for the rest of his life! War Eagle Nick Marshall! !

Nick had the best game of his career in the Iron Bowl.

456 yards passing. He was on all night.

Duke and Sammie owe him one. Both dropped balls they should have caught.

Nick Marshall will be greatly missed indeed. His bucket list is nearly complete. He'd probably make a great QB coach or he could take the Tim Tebow approach and go into broadcasting. I wonder if he'd consider giving the CFL a try. I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.

Hi guys, I was looking at some stats and thought I would share them with you. With one game to go, here's where Nick stands in some categories:

1. 3rd all-time in total TDs. Needs three to pass Coach Craig for 2nd.

2. 6th all-time in total yards. Needs 316 to pass Coach Craig for 5th.

3. 6th all-time in TD/INT ratio. If you limit it to people with 100 pass attempts, he jumps to 3rd.

4. 6th all-time in Passing Tds. Would need seven to move any higher there.

5. 8th all-time in Passing Yards. Would need 406 to move past Reggie Slack for 7th.

6. 9th all-time in Completion %, for players with more than 30 attempts. Narrow that to 100, he moves to 6th.

7. 20th all-time in Rushing Yards. Needs 31 for 19th and 144 for 18th.

8. Career Passing Efficiency is 146.09. For scale Pat Sullivan 129.44, Jason Campbell 148.02, and Cam(with a very limited sample size) 182.00.

9. Using ESPNs QBR metric(for better or worse) Nick is 4th in the country at 83.6. That ties him for 30th all-time. By contrast, Cam is 7th all-time with 89.4.

And this from a former DB.

I know everybody is up in the air over the next DC hire, but after a crappy end to yesterday, I wanted to share something awesome.

War Eagle, everybody!

-all stats from sports-reference.com

Hard stats to go with the all time rankings.

Career Passing Stats 305/510 passing for 59.8% completions, 4291 yards on 8.4 yards per attempt and 32 tds to just 13 int. Everything up as a senior. I've been a doubter in the early season in nick, but he proved me wrong.

Career Rushing Stats 318 rushes for 1848 yards, 5.8 yards per rush and 23 touchdowns. 10+ touchdown runs in both years as a starter.

Nick Marshall will be greatly missed indeed. His bucket list is nearly complete. He'd probably make a great QB coach or he could take the Tim Tebow approach and go into broadcasting. I wonder if he'd consider giving the CFL a try. I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.

I absolutely am 100% on board the NM bandwagon. Even after calling him out for his passing the past 2 years I am fully on board now. He played like a man possessed in the Iron Bowl and made some incredible throws. And he probably will get a shot to play at another position on an NFL team after this season is over. But you are severely reaching if you think he would be a broadcaster. You heard him in interviews?

I loved the way NM played the game. His escapability in extending plays and making plays with his feet turning, what would have been a loss for most every other QB, into a big gain.. Anybody that can come in cold and win the starting QB job @ Auburn in 2 weeks is a stud. I saw that from the beginning yet every week there were posters in here asking why Gus wasn't playing JJ or how soon would he go to JJ the next game? Nick Marshall was grossly under apprecated for what he brought to Auburn's team and offense.

Archived