Per Jay G. Tate

DyeHardAllTheWay

Hate on Franklin but he wasn't the problem he is a good coach

This. The BBQ gang sabotaged Franklin and got Tuberville to side with them.

Yeah, I thought Franklin got scape goated. However, I felt it was a bad move by Tubs from the beginning. A coach is only as good as the players he has to make his system work. Auburn didn't have the personnel to fit his system and he wasn't given ANY time to get them.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I thought Franklin got scape goated. However, I felt it was a bad move by Tubs from the beginning. A coach is only as good as the players he has to make his system work. Auburn didn't have the personnel to fit his system and he wasn't given ANY time to get them.

from my understanding Franklin was comfortable in letting the offense gel and barely get by in the slow pace he had it in till he got the right guys for his system. but Tuberville & the BBQ Gang were only interested in using franklin as an attempt to show that fast paced offenses would never work in the SEC

from my understanding Franklin was comfortable in letting the offense gel and barely get by in the slow pace he had it in till he got the right guys for his system. but Tuberville & the BBQ Gang were only interested in using franklin as an attempt to show that fast paced offenses would never work in the SEC

Jay Jacobs has wanted the spread at Auburn for almost a decade. Tuberville was basically forced to hire Franklin and he was done the moment he sided with the BBQ gang.

The lesson of Franklin was you do not hire a coordinator and not let him pick/bring at least some of his staff. That will be in play here.

My guess is for the bowl game, there will be an acting DC, and the new DC will be along to simply evaluate players, etc.

That said, I do think a DC who plans to run a 4-3 will be able to integrate quickly into the existing players and any retained staff. I fear a conversion to a 3-4 will be challenging, given how aggressively we have recruited 4-3 DEs over the last two years.

The lesson of Franklin was you do not hire a coordinator and not let him pick/bring at least some of his staff. That will be in play here.

My guess is for the bowl game, there will be an acting DC, and the new DC will be along to simply evaluate players, etc.

That said, I do think a DC who plans to run a 4-3 will be able to integrate quickly into the existing players and any retained staff. I fear a conversion to a 3-4 will be challenging, given how aggressively we have recruited 4-3 DEs over the last two years.

AL.com had a pretty good article today about the problems with trying to go with a 3-4.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/12/four_downs_what_auburn_needs_o.html#incart_river

So you're saying Tuberville sacrificed the success of the team and part of his legacy at Auburn just to prove a point?

I read that article, but it was flawed a little. The biggest issue with switching would be finding a nose guard for the D'line rather than the Jack Backer. The skill set for the star and the Jack Backer are similar. He was right about having several players with body types that didn't fit the scheme, but filling the gaps at the Jack Backer spot is easier than he makes it seem. In my opinion anyway. Remember we recruited Evans for the star position because of the skill set he had, and bammer was recruiting him for the Jack Backer spot.

Hoping an early leak comes out, not sure I can make it til 2

There's a bathroom joke in there somewhere....

Or a Golf joke. Take your pick, on second thought why chose.

Correct on all counts. In a 3-4 the OLB is crucial and we don't really have enough or anybody that would fill that role for that defense. We don't have time to wait two years for recruiting to catch up with that system either. Tubby really screwed up the whole deal with Franklin. That was a cluster from the beginning.

Franklin was a good coach and was outstanding at Troy. He was bushwacked by the BBQ gang and never had a chance. My guess is the new DC coordinator will make a few more changes to the D staff after the bowl game as he should.

The thought of Tony Franklin makes me sick to my stomach. :puke:

It should since Cal has statistically an offense that is as good as Auburn's this year

Correct on all counts. In a 3-4 the OLB is crucial and we don't really have enough or anybody that would fill that role for that defense. We don't have time to wait two years for recruiting to catch up with that system either. Tubby really screwed up the whole deal with Franklin. That was a cluster from the beginning.

We've got guys who could play the Jack LB position in a 3-4, which is essentially a stand up DE. Kennion would be a perfect fit there, and some of our current linebackers have done well when rushing from the edge. Many of our DEs would fit well as 3-4 DEs, including Lambert, Lawson, and Daniel. I think the one position we'd be lacking is a true nose tackle as we don't currently have anyone in the 330+ range for next year (though Daron Payne would fit that mold). Keep in mind that nowadays most defenses are essentially operating out of a nickel package, so we wouldn't use a nose tackle much and would still have four down linemen. I'm not necessarily a fan of the 3-4, but we'd be able to switch to it.

How does Muschamp's UF contract address future salaries? Do they lessen the payout?

No they dont. He can take another job and not lose a penny of his buy out.

Let's just say that it is Muschamp. What do you all think his salary is?

I'd say at least one million. Johnson was 850,000 so Muschamp is worth more.

I think that's optimistic as hell. I'm betting that he's gonna be more around a $2M range. You gotta remember it's a proven commodity AND he's been courted. Not like Johnson coming off an 0-fer and being looked at as "past his prime".

My only question is this. Why do coaches restrict their defensive plan to be 3-4 or 4-3 of 4-2-5? Why not recruit players and build schemes to implement any of those options at any time. You just train a few kids to be versitle. Rigidity in the concept of defense seems to open a team up for vulnerability. Same with offensive over focus.

Archived