Elizabeth Warren Heckled with Native American Chant in the Senate

autigeremt

In what way is this a heckling of Elizabeth Warren? I understand that Laura Ingram probably disagrees with Sen. Warren's views quite often and may dislike her politically. That is fine and one of the great freedoms we have in this country. But there is nothing in this incident that can be characterized as a "Heckling of Elizabeth Warren". To characterize it as a "heckling of Warren" seems like more like an invention of Ingram's bias or fantasy than the truth. Even FOX News' website does not report it as a slam on Warren. They don't even mention the Senator's name: http://www.foxnews.c...one-bill-fails/

The singer himself says it was a song of victory or celebration, honoring those who voted against the Keystone pipeline, so rather than heckling Warren, it was commending Warren as one of the Senators who voted against the measure. http://www.usatoday....enate/19291685/ http://www.senate.go...on=2&vote=00280

All that aside, of course it is inappropriate (as well as illegal) to interrupt Senate procedures and the Sergeant-at-Arms & Capital police acted properly to restore order.

quietfan....are you familiar with Ms. Warren and her past? Google Elizabeth Warren and her "Native American" heritage.

quietfan....are you familiar with Ms. Warren and her past? Google Elizabeth Warren and her "Native American" heritage.

Are you familiar with the facts of this situation? Are you aware that Laura Ingram is so blinded by hate it distorts her reality?

That's your opinion TT. I heartily disagree. Fact is it is Warren's realiy that is distorted She lied about her Native American heritage or at least stretched the truth.

That's your opinion TT. I heartily disagree. Fact is Warren lied about her Native American heritage or at least stretched the truth.

Whether that is true, it has no bearing on this incident.

Are you familiar with the facts of this situation? Are you aware that Laura Ingram is so blinded by hate it distorts her reality?

She's also a HUGE bama fan.

smh.

I didn't post this based on LI. I posted it based on the actual event.

I'm didn't post this based on LI. I posted it based on the actual event.

I am aware of the controversy over her 'alleged' Native American heritage. And as a matter of principle, I think it is wrong for anyone to represent themselves as Native American if they are not.

But that is irrelevant to what happened in this incident. This was directly related to the Keystone pipeline bill, not Warren. There is nothing about the incident that is specific to Sen. Warren.

For the sake of those who didn't read my USAToday link, allow me to quote:

http://www.usatoday....enate/19291685/

...But Grey Cloud, a member of the Crow Creek Tribe northwest of Sioux Falls, S.D., was taken into custody Tuesday night after he started singing a song he said was meant to honor those lawmakers who voted against the Keystone XL pipeline. The Senate narrowly defeated legislation that would have approved construction of the pipeline — part of which would cross South Dakota and cut through land owned by the Crow Creek and other Indian tribes.

"I wasn't chanting. It wasn't an outburst. It was a song of honor, honoring the senators, the hard work and courage for standing up and saying no to Big Oil," Grey Cloud, 28, said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "I did it for a good cause."

The idea to sing, regardless of the outcome of the Keystone decision, came on Tuesday a few hours before the vote. Tribal elders and others signed off on the idea. Grey Cloud then scrambled to find a song that would be appropriate, and after talking with a native song keeper, settled on one composed during the 1980s in opposition to coal mining.

The words, sung in the Lakota language in the Senate chamber, went as follows: "Tunkasila wamayanka yo, le miye ca tehiya nawazin yelo. unci maka nawacincina wowahwala wa yuha waun welo" The English translation: "Grandfather look at me, I am standing here struggling, I am defending grandmother Earth and I am chasing peace."

Grey Cloud, wearing his Indian feathers, began singing shortly after the vote totals were announced. He said he was carried outside chambers by Capitol Police, thrown against the wall and arrested, while singing the song throughout the incident. He was detained in the D.C. jail for five hours for interrupting the Senate and given a Dec. 10 court date.

"We have time, time to keep fighting time," he said. "As a singer I know only one way to honor someone and that's to sing. I didn't mean to disrupt (the) Senate, only to honor the conviction shown by the senators."

So again, this had nothing to do with Elizabeth Warren individually. The singing would have gone on even if Warren was absence that day and someone else were chairing the session.

Laura Ingraham's headline regarding this story, "Elizabeth Warren is Heckled by Indian Chant" is completely disingenuous and has no basis in fact. For that reason, it is my humble personal opinion that this is just another unfounded, untruthful attack by LI on a politician merely because of hatred of his/her party affiliation or political views (i.e., liberal Democrat).

The debate over the pipeline itself is another issue. Anyone who wishes, feel free to start another thread on that.

A debate over Elizabeth Warren's character or views is also another issue to be discussed in another thread if anyone cares to.

But this incident was in no way,shape, or form a "heckling" of Elizabeth Warren.

Fauxcahontas is my favorite Indian. Never mind she unapologetically lied in her self promotion to get a tenured professorship at Harvard. What a typical lying phony. Native american my ass.

I'm didn't post this based on LI. I posted it based on the actual event.

I am aware of the controversy over her 'alleged' Native American heritage. And as a matter of principle, I think it is wrong for anyone to represent themselves as Native American if they are not.

But that is irrelevant to what happened in this incident. This was directly related to the Keystone pipeline bill, not Warren. There is nothing about the incident that is specific to Sen. Warren.

For the sake of those who didn't read my USAToday link, allow me to quote:

http://www.usatoday....enate/19291685/

...But Grey Cloud, a member of the Crow Creek Tribe northwest of Sioux Falls, S.D., was taken into custody Tuesday night after he started singing a song he said was meant to honor those lawmakers who voted against the Keystone XL pipeline. The Senate narrowly defeated legislation that would have approved construction of the pipeline — part of which would cross South Dakota and cut through land owned by the Crow Creek and other Indian tribes.

"I wasn't chanting. It wasn't an outburst. It was a song of honor, honoring the senators, the hard work and courage for standing up and saying no to Big Oil," Grey Cloud, 28, said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "I did it for a good cause."

The idea to sing, regardless of the outcome of the Keystone decision, came on Tuesday a few hours before the vote. Tribal elders and others signed off on the idea. Grey Cloud then scrambled to find a song that would be appropriate, and after talking with a native song keeper, settled on one composed during the 1980s in opposition to coal mining.

The words, sung in the Lakota language in the Senate chamber, went as follows: "Tunkasila wamayanka yo, le miye ca tehiya nawazin yelo. unci maka nawacincina wowahwala wa yuha waun welo" The English translation: "Grandfather look at me, I am standing here struggling, I am defending grandmother Earth and I am chasing peace."

Grey Cloud, wearing his Indian feathers, began singing shortly after the vote totals were announced. He said he was carried outside chambers by Capitol Police, thrown against the wall and arrested, while singing the song throughout the incident. He was detained in the D.C. jail for five hours for interrupting the Senate and given a Dec. 10 court date.

"We have time, time to keep fighting time," he said. "As a singer I know only one way to honor someone and that's to sing. I didn't mean to disrupt (the) Senate, only to honor the conviction shown by the senators."

So again, this had nothing to do with Elizabeth Warren individually. The singing would have gone on even if Warren was absence that day and someone else were chairing the session.

Laura Ingraham's headline regarding this story, "Elizabeth Warren is Heckled by Indian Chant" is completely disingenuous and has no basis in fact. For that reason, it is my humble personal opinion that this is just another unfounded, untruthful attack by LI on a politician merely because of hatred of his/her party affiliation or political views (i.e., liberal Democrat).

The debate over the pipeline itself is another issue. Anyone who wishes, feel free to start another thread on that.

A debate over Elizabeth Warren's character or views is also another issue to be discussed in another thread if anyone cares to.

But this incident was in no way,shape, or form a "heckling" of Elizabeth Warren.

Interesting. I would have done it for the reasons I thought it was for. I don't respect her much at all.

Archived