Grading and Coaching up Defensive Talent

AuburnNTexas

Regardless of how any highly rated recruits landed at Auburn, remember that a lot of other schools were recruiting them heavily, also.

And keep in mind that blue chip guys flame out everywhere. When it happens at Alabama, we cry foul and say they got processed (which is true, but only after they don't pan out on the field). When it happens at UGA, we say that Richt is an idiot and can't win with superior talent.

Yes, we have had 3*s turn into 5*s at Auburn (Sen'Derrick Marks is another), but it's hardly the norm, and it's not like 3*s are scrubs to begin with. And if you want to talk about chasing recruiting national championships, then you should probably also mention the team who has been winning both those and real national championships* more than anybody. We all made fun of bammers for claiming that first recruiting title, and then some players in that class ended up winning 2 crystal balls. FSU, LSU, UF, us... the teams who have been bringing home the hardware have also been bringing in the blue chip guys. Talent wins championships.

*Don't turn this into a debate over the legitimacy of the BCS titles bama has won. Just don't.

f*** bama and their bcs titles.

The idea that we don't develop players is ridiculous. Take Angelo Blackson for example. He's a million miles better than he was when he showed up at Auburn. If you don't think that guy "made it", you're watching the wrong game. He's on the way to an NFL paycheck and long career. He would've started at just about any SEC school. That guy can play. He wasn't surrounded with the best situation. We didn't have an edge player that required attention, and the DTs beside him were inconsistent. Gabe Wright is the guy that never really made a leap. Angelo Blackson, on the other hand, had a great season. He was probably the most consistent player on the entire defense.

The idea that we don't develop players is ridiculous.

We didn't have an edge player that required attention, and the DTs beside him were inconsistent. Gabe Wright is the guy that never really made a leap. Angelo Blackson, on the other hand, had a great season. He was probably the most consistent player on the entire defense.

That makes it sound like Blackson is the only guy we developed. Which suggests that we don't generally develop players.

Okay. I'll add Dee Ford, Kris Frost (who was a soft disaster when he showed up and now may be All-SEC), Cass McKinzy, Chris Davis, Jonathan Jones, and Rudy Ford. All of those guys are currently or were (at the time they graduated) much, much better football players than when they arrived. At the start of the year, I would've included Therezie and Mincy, but the former disappeared and the latter regressed to a level that was basically playing 10-on-11. Still, you can't tell me Lambert didn't get better as the season wore on. You can't tell me Adams is worse than when he showed up. You can't tell me Gimel President isn't getting better (even if his best may not be good enough... he's still being developed). Anthony Swain is clearly a TON better than he was three years ago.

There were a few guys on our defense this year that I think really never took a step forward, and I don't know why. Whitehead was a playmaker his freshman year, struggled in-between, and was a playmaker again by this season. That's disappointing. Gabe never gained consistency. Ben Bradley just didn't turn into the guy we thought he'd be. LaDarious Owens, due almost 80% to injuries, didn't step forward this year like we needed. I've already addressed Mincy and Therezie. That's disappointing. No doubt. You expect seniors to work on their games and put it together that last season. It didn't happen for those guys, but we are developing players. (More than just one).

It just so happens that when your senior class largely plateaus from the previous season and certain guys (Therezie and Mincy) horrifically regress... the defense as a whole will look awful. That's what happened on the back end of this season. We needed those guys to step forward. They either remained exactly where they were or they fell back. It's tough, but by that point in their careers, I can't blame that entirely (or even mostly) on coaching.

Lawson and Adams were already recruited to AU by Chizik's staff.

Adams had little interest in us prior to the coaching change. So while he was "recruited" by the previous staff, don't try and pretend like they were part of the reason we got him. He didn't start showing real interest until we took Garner away from UGA, which is where he was expected to go.

Well then, you claim to know a lot more than those who were saying that Adams was a silent commit to AU before the coaching change. I'm not buying your version.

Since when do you buy anybody's version but yours?

I believe "those" said he was early on but that changed. I believe he said after signing that AL had moved up before we reclaimed the lead. I'm sure Ellitor may remember or can access that info relatively quickly.

So, we agree that at some point Adams was a silent commit to AU. As I said above, the heavy lifting had already been done by the previous staff.

According to "those" so was Rashaan Evans. All that early heavy lifting really did help our defense this year. Again your version.

Well then, you claim to know a lot more than those who were saying that Adams was a silent commit to AU before the coaching change. I'm not buying your version.

Wrong. Adams was a pure Georgia/Clemson battle. We were floating around with Alabama on the outside the entire time. At no point in time was he an "Auburn silent".

"Montravius Adams will choose between Georgia and Clemson, but (Tray) Matthews is definitely working on him from the Georgia angle. Matthews states that he and Adams are closer than most people know and he’s hoping to use that relationship to persuade Adams to sign on with the Bulldogs." -- From the Army All American Bowl in January.

http://theladysports...dams-will-sign/

"No. 4 – DT Montravius Adams (Dooly County HS – Vienna, GA)

Scouting Report: Adams has dominated playing against the lower level competition in the Peach State, showing his amazing raw abilities. He is outstanding at anticipating the snap count and exploding off the ball with exceptional quickness. Adams is not the most polished of prospects, but you simply can’t coach guys of his size to have his agility and strength.

Prediction: Clemson"

http://www.southernp...hern-prospects/

"As of this moment I think everything is pointing in the Dawgs favor and if he has a great visit it could put the Dawgs into an incredible position heading into Signing Day. Dawgs 60% - Clemson 40%"

http://dawgs.fantern...ml#.VICqCMlujD8

Adams had interest and made several visits to AU. Then came the coaching change and he looked around. We made a nice recovery and landed him at the end but his initial favorable opinion of Auburn came before the coaching change.

Does that put it into terms that are easily enough understood?

Adams had interest and made several visits to AU. Then came the coaching change and he looked around. We made a nice recovery and landed him at the end but his initial favorable opinion of Auburn came before the coaching change.

Does that put it into terms that are easily enough understood?

Except I'm pretty sure you are wrong on at least one term and it throws you're whole argument out the window.

I'm not trying to prove you're wrong to you. Won't happen.

Yeah we both agree anything but a press man to man cover. We didn't even make Simms have to check down in the second half

Letting a guy run right past you is not man to man. Just don't have the players on the edge for it... consistency that's the word. But even hargreaves got beat but not that bad

Hargreaves was never beaten by cooper without pushing off. He actually got flagged for one of his push-offs on Hargreaves.

Archived