New York Grand Jury Does Not Indict Officer in Choking Death

icanthearyou

Does anyone here know what this man's history with regards to his interaction with officers before this incident?

Does anyone here know what happened BEFORE this "video" was shot?

If not, your comments are ignorant and uninformed.

Have you not heard? It is all about race. The cops killed him because he was black.......

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No taxation without asphyxiation!

No idiocy without Libs.......

The man was unarmed.

The chokehold is banned by NYPD because something like this can happen.

The coroner ruled it a homicide.

The entire incident is on video.

The man was not a violent criminal. The chokehold was put on him before he did anything. He is clearly gasping and struggling to tell them he can't breathe.

There is no defending this. Sharpton has nothing to do with it. It's not about race baiters. This is not the Michael Brown situation. It was completely unwarranted. How on God's green earth is this sort of thing ok and doesn't warrant a trial?

It doesn't matter to Holder or Sharpton whether it was justified or not. That part is irrelevant to them. Whether the cops were right or wrong according to the law does not enter into their equation. Actual justice is not what they are about. Those two will turn anything and everything into a Michael Brown situation. To him it's always about race, whether it actually was or not. I'm not making any statement on the case itself or whether the cops should or should not have been charge. It looks bad to me. I will say that much.

What's irrelevant to this issue is Sharpton or Holder. What is relevant is the fricked up judicial system in Long Island that would fail to indict this officer for choking a man to death over some damn untaxed cigarettes.

this choking should not have happened but it was not over cigarettes. it was resisting arrest. get that straight at least.

Are you suggesting that resisting without violence is sufficient cause for the use of deadly force?

when one resists arrest LE cannot just decide not to arrest because the man does not comply. LE must use the necessary force. this man was enormous and made it clear he was not going to comply. THis takedown would not have killed a healthy person(most likely). I feel this man forced police to be physical. the only problem i have is the length of time he was in the choke/sleeper hold. like Barkley said they did not intend to kill him. This all was not necessary if HE complies with the police in the 1st place. To answer your question, or correct your question, they did not use "deadly force". He was just not physically fit enough to endure the force required to subdue him.

He wasn't choked. Might want to correct the headline.

Why complicate a good LIE with the TRUTH? : - )

Really? The NY medical examiner ruled that the cause of death was a result of "neck compression"

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Eric-Garner-Independent-Autopsy-Michael-Baden-275734971.html

The man was unarmed.

The man was not a violent criminal. The chokehold was put on him before he did anything. He is clearly gasping and struggling to tell them he can't breathe.

There is no defending this. Sharpton has nothing to do with it. It's not about race baiters. This is not the Michael Brown situation. It was completely unwarranted. How on God's green earth is this sort of thing ok and doesn't warrant a trial?

I agree with this.

And I will add, anyone who wants to make this about Al Sharpton, is just as bad as Al Sharpton.

Or worse. The man died unnecessarily and all they can do is whine about what Sharpton might say ?

The man was unarmed.

I agree with this.

And I will add, anyone who wants to make this about Al Sharpton, is just as bad as Al Sharpton.

Or worse. The man died unnecessarily and all they can do is whine about what Sharpton might say ?

Correction (as usual) what typical lib liar al D I D say.... You are welcome...

Can we shut the **** up about Sharpton, Jackson and the other red herrings here? No one cares what they have to say (although anything they are complaining about with regard to Garner happens to be dead on the mark...blind squirrels and all). What matters is why stuff like this keeps happening and why a jury couldn't see fit to return a just indictment and what we as a society plan to do about it.

Because it was the truth.

I swear do you guys even bother to read up on things before commenting or does the jerking knee reflex prevent that?

And just to be clear, you don't have to hate cops or think most of them are corrupt to believe these incidents are unjust & indicative of systemic problems.

Can we shut the **** up about Sharpton, Jackson and the other red herrings here? No one cares what they have to say (although anything they are complaining about with regard to Garner happens to be dead on the mark...blind squirrels and all). What matters is why stuff like this keeps happening and why a jury couldn't see fit to return a just indictment and what we as a society plan to do about it.

If citizens would comply with police officer instruction we would not have these issues. Having said that, I don't necessarily like the way either the Brown or Garner incident were handled. But back to point one, comply with officer instruction and none of this happens. So maybe society, i.e. parents need to teach children to respect and comply with law enforcement.

If citizens would comply with police officer instruction we would not have these issues. Having said that, I don't necessarily like the way either the Brown or Garner incident were handled. But back to point one, comply with officer instruction and none of this happens. So maybe society, i.e. parents need to teach children to respect and comply with law enforcement.

DaveBangHead.gif

Police also need to quit unnecessarily harassing people. There's a reason there's a thing called "driving while black." It's a real thing and the accumulation of this stuff starts to wear on people's psyche.

But back to your point about complying with instructions. True, but police are trained to handle situations like this. In NY specifically, they are trained NOT to use a chokehold on people because this is the sort of thing that can happen. We hold police to a higher standard because of the authority we give them to use force and deadly force in particular. This guy was not attacking anyone. Hell, he wasn't even cussing. But some dickhead with a badge had to be a badass and a man died over some ******* cigarettes. I'm sorry, but this makes me so angry I can't see straight. This needs to stop.

Comply or die.

Police also need to quit unnecessarily harassing people. There's a reason there's a thing called "driving while black." It's a real thing and the accumulation of this stuff starts to wear on people's psyche.

But back to your point about complying with instructions. True, but police are trained to handle situations like this. In NY specifically, they are trained NOT to use a chokehold on people because this is the sort of thing that can happen. We hold police to a higher standard because of the authority we give them to use force and deadly force in particular. This guy was not attacking anyone. Hell, he wasn't even cussing. But some dickhead with a badge had to be a badass and a man died over some ******* cigarettes. I'm sorry, but this makes me so angry I can't see straight. This needs to stop.

you cant be arrested for "driving while black". racial profiling has absolutely nothing to do with this case. i honestly have no idea why he was being arrested or if it was legit.. but when you are given instructions by LE you follow them. your case will be heard at another time. the choke hold was just a little extreme but not intentional enough to justify a murder charge.

you cant be arrested for "driving while black". racial profiling has absolutely nothing to do with this case. i honestly have no idea why he was being arrested or if it was legit.. but when you are given instructions by LE you follow them. your case will be heard at another time. the choke hold was just a little extreme but not intentional enough to justify a murder charge.

Cases like this, paired with the difference in black interactions with cops vs their white counterparts are why people do feel this would not have happened if the guy was white. I don't know if they are right or not but I understand why they think that. Especially when they didn't even indict him. We aren't even discussing a conviction, just a trial.

The chokehold wasn't just extreme, it caused his death. And it's against NY police policy. It didn't have to be a murder charge but it should have at least gone to trial.

Comply or die.

Over some ******* untaxed cigarettes.

DaveBangHead.gif;)

It has become rather obvious you've already hit your head too many times. Just saying.

Cases like this, paired with the difference in black interactions with cops vs their white counterparts are why people do feel this would not have happened if the guy was white. I don't know if they are right or not but I understand why they think that. Especially when they didn't even indict him. We aren't even discussing a conviction, just a trial.

The chokehold wasn't just extreme, it caused his death. And it's against NY police policy. It didn't have to be a murder charge but it should have at least gone to trial.

Comply or die.

Or failure to comply. Depending on your perspective.

Comply or die.

Comply or die.

Comply or die.

Ok, you be a lawmaker for a minute. so if a lawbreaker does not wish to comply, what is your idea of how to proceed. (my point is the crime is irrelevant)

Yeah, my perspective is that putting a chokehold that's been banned by your police department for over 20 years and tackling a man to the ground with half a dozen police officers over some untaxed cigarette sales is excessive use of force.

I'm hardly a person that jumps on police every time one of these situations crops up. I happen to believe Darren Wilson's story is close to the truth of how the Michael Brown shooting went down. But this is bull****. You know it. I know it. And it makes my blood boil that anyone would attempt to defend it or play it down as simply "failure to comply."

Again, no one here knows what this man's history with LE is, and no one here knows what happened before this little video was shot. Kinda funny how you vilify this officer without all the facts, then accuse others of being quick to jump to conclusions. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. But, "Mothers shouldn't have to be afraid of their sons dying when they rob stores" right? SMH.

Ok, you be a lawmaker for a minute. so if a lawbreaker does not wish to comply, what is your idea of how to proceed. (my point is the crime is irrelevant)

The crime is relevant. Police are taught to treat situations differently based on the circumstances. You don't throw a non-compliant jaywalker to the the ground when he disobeys an order, but you might do that to a guy that just committed armed robbery or a man who was beating the s*** out of his woman in a domestic disturbance call.

The other thing you take into account is whether the person is armed and who really has the upper hand. There were at least 6 officers surrounding an unarmed man who was not violent. He was frustrated but not violent. Realize there isn't any rush here. Let cooler heads prevail. Did these guys have a plane to catch or something that they couldn't do this more peacefully?

Use something called proportionality. And common sense. And for God's sake when a man is telling you he can't breathe, don't keep the chokehold on him and double down by half of you piling on top of him and pressing his neck to the concrete.

Archived