Should Auburn leave SEC West?

Johndunc

Is it time to revisit the idea of Auburn to leave the SEC West and move to the East? With Alabama students throwing stuff at the players and chanting obsene cheers and cheers about AU players that have been killed things are starting to get out of hand and it won't be long before something tragic happens worse than poisoning trees. It would really make more sense to put Missouri in the west anyway. I believe it would be beneficial to both schools. Thoughts?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Do you think if we move to the East it will change anything about the Iron Bowl rivalry?

It won't. We could move to the ACC and we would still play Alabama every year and they would still act like classless trash. Its just who they are.

Not happening anytime soon. Plus...imagine playing the turds twice in one season.

Is it time to revisit the idea of Auburn to leave the SEC West and move to the East? With Alabama students throwing stuff at the players and chanting obsene cheers and cheers about AU players that have been killed things are starting to get out of hand and it won't be long before something tragic happens worse than poisoning trees. It would really make more sense to put Missouri in the west anyway. I believe it would be beneficial to both schools. Thoughts?

pretty sure it was confirmed they were saying luck is dead, not lutz is dead.

I just don't understand why Auburn wasn't moved East when Mizzou came in. auburn could even still play Bama every year like they do UGA. I just never made sense.

As gigantic as the ratings were, like AEAugirl mentioned, the Iron Bowl will happen regardless of where Auburn is. Also, unless the move was provoked by anyone other than Auburn, Auburn would look terrible across the nation, as if they're trying to get out of the division because they didn't beat UA. Sports run in cycles, so when UA starts their downward trend, their fans will (eventually) lessen in insanity (hopefully.)

I wouldn't mind being in the East honestly. It would bring back the Tennessee rivalry and Florida rivalry but at the cost of LSU and Texas A&M (I say them because I like them). We would keep the Iron Bowl as our permanent cross division rival. I don't like the idea of having to play Bama twice if both teams made the SEC championship. Also if the rule is still in place about not playing a cross division game within two weeks of the SEC championship game then the Iron Bowl would have to be played earlier in the season, which would suck. I realize Mizzou and Arkansas played last week but I believe that it is due to the scheduling still being messed up and will be corrected in the next few years.

I say move us to the East and Mizzou to the West.

No way. The Iron Bowl wouldn't have to disappear since there's a non-rotating cross-divisional opponent every year. That could be UAT. It definitely sets up a rematch the next weekend when AU and UAT win the division. That would have happened last year, and possibly this year if the UGA game had a different outcome as Moo State or ATM would have been replaced by FLA, UT, Vandy or Mizzou.

I didn't realize they gave us the option of withdrawing. Do you realize how chicken "crapish"(pardon the language) that would make us look?

I was told by a girl setting behind the student section they were chanting luck is dead.

Playing Alabama more than once in a season, outside of the unlikely possibility of playing them in the playoff, would dilute the uniqueness of the rivalry, which is considered the most exciting rivalry game in college football (based on TV viewership).

It has been so long since Auburn has played Florida or Tennessee annually, it no longer seems as a rivalry. Other than regional interest, most would probably rather play LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc annually.

Playing Alabama more than once in a season, outside of the unlikely possibility of playing them in the playoff, would dilute the uniqueness of the rivalry, which is considered the most exciting rivalry game in college football (based on TV viewership).

It has been so long since Auburn has played Florida or Tennessee annually, it no longer seems as a rivalry. Other than regional interest, most would probably rather play LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc annually.

The IB is the "best rivarly in college football" according to the masses right now, and has been the past several seasons, but these things come in cycles. When Ohio St-Michigan were #1 and 2, everyone suddenly realized that was the best rivalry in the sport. Our time in the sun will pass from a national standpoint

I actually think playing Bama more than once in a season would make it more intense. If we had to play Bama in back to back weeks how insane do you think people would be going this week in preparation to get revenge on the loss this past Saturday? It would be epic.

Only thing is it would cheapen the Iron Bowl because the re-match would have higher stakes being for the SEC Championship.

I would love it. Playing Florida and Tennessee every year again has a lot of appeal to me. Unfortunately I don't think the votes are there. But with the new dynamics of the CFB Playoffs, I think the SEC will be forced to periodically revisit the balance within each division anyway, so that might help the cause. They just can't afford to have most of their best teams stacked up in 1 division year after year, there is too much money at stake.

As an example, if Mizzou would happen to beat Alabama in the SECCG this Saturday, it is very likely that the SEC would not have a team in the playoffs. Now tell me that wouldn't make the SEC swing into action. Suddenly they will worry less about moving teams around and more about keeping the conference balanced. Re-balancing the 2 divisions on a periodic interval will enable the SEC to react to changes in the strength of teams and solves the problem.

Archived