McElwain to Florida

RunInRed

Jim McElwain's representatives and Colorado State have cleared up the issues surrounding his buyout, and McElwain has agreed to become the next head coach at Florida, sources told ESPN.com.

Barring any last-minute snags, Florida is expected to announce McElwain as the Gators' coach later Thursday.

The deal had been hung up before Thursday morning as Colorado State refused to budge on McElwain's $7.5 million buyout and Florida had refused to pay the entire amount. It is unclear at this point if Florida agreed to pay the full buyout amount of the schools settled on a smaller amount.

McElwain, 52, was in his third season at Colorado State. The Rams (10-2) have won 16 of their last 20 games dating back to last season. That's after losing 27 of 36 games in the three seasons prior to McElwain's arrival in 2012.

He was named Tuesday as the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley was looking for somebody with a strong offensive background, and McElwain fits that bill.

The Rams are 13th nationally in total offense (497.8 yards per game) and had the country's second most efficient quarterback in Garrett Grayson, who's thrown 32 touchdown passes and only six interceptions. Colorado State's top receiver, Rashard Higgins, led the country in receiving yards per game (149.1) and receiving touchdowns (17). The Rams scored more than 30 points in eight of their 12 games this season and were one of two Group of 5 teams with two wins over Power 5 teams, defeating Boston College and Colorado.

It didn't take McElwain long to transform Colorado State into an offensive powerhouse. In his second season, the Rams went from 100th nationally in scoring offense to 22nd and from 100th in total offense to 24th.

McElwain replaces Will Muschamp, whose Gators never finished higher than 90th nationally in total offense in his four seasons in Gainesville. Muschamp was fired last month after going just 10-13 over the last two seasons.

McElwain, originally from Montana, tutored first-year starting quarterbacks (Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron) in two of his four seasons at Alabama. The Crimson Tide were known for their offensive balance under McElwain. In his final season at Alabama in 2011, the Tide were the only team in the SEC that averaged more than 200 rushing yards and 200 passing yards per game on their way to what was then Nick Saban's second national championship in Tuscaloosa.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11977425/jim-mcelwain-becomes-florida-gators-coach

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

Florida: According to the Denver Post, Florida will pay a renegotiated buyout of $5 million to Colorado State and $2 million for a single game at Florida in the future. Jim McElwain’s buyout was $7.5 million.

Update

Florida: For Jim McElwain's buyout, Florida will pay $3 million to Colorado State over six years, and McElwain will pay $2 million to the school. In addition, CSU will play one game at Florida between 2017-20 and be paid $2 million. McElwain’s buyout at CSU was $7.5 million.

Update.

Florida: Jim McElwain will earn an average of $3.5 million per year over six years

For me, I'm a little surprised. He's done a great job at CSU, but lacking in HC experience for one of the biggies in the SEC. At Bama as OC, he inherited some pretty decent talent to work with. We'll see I guess.

For me, I'm a little surprised. He's done a great job at CSU, but lacking in HC experience for one of the biggies in the SEC. At Bama as OC, he inherited some pretty decent talent to work with. We'll see I guess.

I'm surprised that they didn't land a bigger name. Is this how far the UF program has fallen?

difference between Chiz hire and McElwain hire is that Chiz had absolutely NOTHING positive to show from his prior HC experience while McElwain has shown and proven he can win games as a HC.

difference between Chiz hire and McElwain hire is that Chiz had absolutely NOTHING positive to show from his prior HC experience while McElwain has shown and proven he can win games as a HC.

2012: 4-8 / 3-5 (T 6th MWC)

2013: 8-6 / 5-3 (3rd MWC)

2014: 10-2 / 6-2 (T 2nd MWC)

Not sure what more you could ask for as far as results......unless you insist on a P5 conference coach.

McElwain + (keeping the) UF Defensive staff intact = "Uh-Oh" (SEC East Teams)

What are the chances if he does well it is because he is a"Saban disciple" and if not, just some guy from Fresno/CSU in over his head in the SEC?

Dude is a quality coach. I'm actually impressed they didn't go out and try to find the rock star coach that has become the generic norm for many schools. They simply went and found a guy they think can be successful.

Very creative contract deal...shared buy-out, CSU to play UF with big guarantee, etc. ...makes me think of the deal in the NFL where it's rumored that the 49ers will "trade" their coach to the Jets or someone.

Sounds to me that CSU negotiated the deal with UF and basically sold their coach for a couple million dollars and a game to be played later.

Actually a pretty solid hire. Not a splash hire......but they did that with Charlie Weiss as OC a couple years ago. :)/>

That splash turned out to be a belly flop...

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Thursday December 04, 2014

Florida: According to the Orlando Sentinel, Jim McElwain does not plan to bring any staff members from Colorado State. Earlier today, CSU interim head coach Dave Baldwin said he expected the remaining staff to stay together through the bowl game, if that game was in mid-December.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Florida: According to the Orlando Sentinel, Jim McElwain does not plan to bring any staff members from Colorado State. Earlier today, CSU interim head coach Dave Baldwin said he expected the remaining staff to stay together through the bowl game, if that game was in mid-December.

That's his business of course but makes me wonder if he happened to see UF's offense this year. JMO but it looked like time to start all over....but guess that decision might affect who would follow (or not follow) WM if the AU deal finalizes.

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

That's his business of course but makes me wonder if he happened to see UF's offense this year. JMO but it looked like time to start all over....but guess that decision might affect who would follow (or not follow) WM if the AU deal finalizes.

You sir are correct.

No way that CSU staff makes it back to Ft. Collins intact following the bowl game.

Good hire, IMO. CSU has been a tough job since Sonny Lubick left- really before he left. Best scoop him up while you can. No comparison to the Chizik hire. This is a thoughtful, reasoned hire as opposed to the "splash" hire everyone wants, which does nothing but provide an offseason sugar rush.

What an underwhelming hire. Gators thought they were going to hit a home run after Muschamp. They may be right back in this position in a few years.

Wasn't this guy at bama under Saban a few year?....and did well in a no-win situation at CSU? I think I would give it a bit of time before I totally wrote him off. At least he has been a real HC for few years and knows what that's about.

Archived