McElwain to Florida

RunInRed

What an underwhelming hire. Gators thought they were going to hit a home run after Muschamp. They may be right back in this position in a few years.

Wasn't this guy at bama under Saban a few year?....and did well in a no-win situation at CSU? I think I would give it a bit of time before I totally wrote him off. At least he has been a real HC for few years and knows what that's about.

I didn't write him off completely. I just said the hire was underwhelming. That's coming from Gator fans' mouths.

They were expecting a much bigger name.

What an underwhelming hire. Gators thought they were going to hit a home run after Muschamp. They may be right back in this position in a few years.

Wasn't this guy at bama under Saban a few year?....and did well in a no-win situation at CSU? I think I would give it a bit of time before I totally wrote him off. At least he has been a real HC for few years and knows what that's about.

I didn't write him off completely. I just said the hire was underwhelming. That's coming from Gator fans' mouths.

Everyone is always expecting a bigger name....and most people just don't realize that the big names are not looking to take over a program that is in the toilet....I mean, once you have built a good program, why go back and start again?

I guess it has happened but I can't think of a "big name" that took a job at some school that was in trouble. Just a matter of the alums "getting over themselves" and facing the reality of their situation....but it's fun watching schools like Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Notre Dame, etc. etc. being disappointed that they did not get a "big name". The real world of college football can be a bleak place.

I just don't see how it's possible for a major program to pull off a big name hire. If Texas or Michigan can't do it...must be tough. Look at what Nebraska just did, and they are on the verge of drifting into irrelevancy. There was a time in the 80's that SI declared the Husker's second team as the #2 team in the country.

It has been done in Tuscaloosa two or three times.

Everyone is always expecting a bigger name....and most people just don't realize that the big names are not looking to take over a program that is in the toilet....I mean, once you have built a good program, why go back and start again?

I guess it has happened but I can't think of a "big name" that took a job at some school that was in trouble. Just a matter of the alums "getting over themselves" and facing the reality of their situation....but it's fun watching schools like Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Notre Dame, etc. etc. being disappointed that they did not get a "big name". The real world of college football can be a bleak place.

I believe Steve Spurrier to USCe was a "big name" that took a job at some school that was in trouble. USCe may not have been "in trouble" or a "dumpster fire" but they were not a great team or a great record/history. He has had some success there and made something of the program. I was living in SC when he was upset that the fans were just happy to play a close loss and he changed the attitude to expect wins. But he is probably the only big name to take on such a program.

Archived